Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > Down Under
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2003, 03:55 PM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX
G'Day Arthur

Welcome to the Network. Good luck with the car. The only yellow SVXs I have seen have been solid colors, no black roofs. It would be interesting.

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 05-08-2003, 04:47 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Jamsvx Send a message via Yahoo to Jamsvx
Glad to see other stalkers in Sydney!!

The black one on Oxford Street I have seen a few times - I ran across the road once to accost him and tell him of the club - he did not seem very interested though...his loss. That said, Chatswood Classic Cars had a burgandy SVX (that went to City Jaguar) that would have been a good buy at $30,000...anyways, the salesman said that a fellow came to look at it who had a shoe shop on Oxford Street and had 3 SVX's - I said "yeah" on the basis that no service department has ever mentioned someone with 3 SVX's (nb: mention an SVX and they invariably tell you about them since they are so rare that they remember the cars)

Anways, the BBS were not available here BUT some cars have them. OAB_AU has them on his (I think his was an ex-Subaru Australia car) so I am thinking it may have been a special order from Subaru executives. I have also seen another burgandy one running around with BBS and a black one (I keep records....its in my 'sightings' list!).

Interesting about the yellow. I have only ever seen two..one was a Melbourne car that I missed out on (its now on the Central Coast - was at the last meet...immaculate!) and the other was for sale at Subaru Penrith about 2 years ago....it had about 40,000km on it and apparently went to Victoria (not the same car though) - this one had gold pinstripes (!!!!) and some script saying 'City Club' on the car (WTF!!!).

On the yellow/black roof...not available as far as I know (have a few brochures from different markets) but I remember a guy in a car park telling me that he saw a yellow one with a black roof....I thought he was mistaken but now no longer sure...its possible that they had a respray.

Who's up for a Sydney gathering???

James

Quote:
Originally posted by baggio
I have seen a yellow one parked at the Sheraton on the Park on Elizabeth St. I saw it there about 6 months ago, it was in very good condition, i looked at the kms reading and if i can recall it only had about 60,000 kms. I can't recall whether it had a black roof but i think it had a yellow roof but am not 100% certain. I do remember it had an unusual badge on the dashboard. I have to admit though i'm not a big fan of the canary yellow colour. As i said i love the burgundy colour. I actually saw a burgundy one driving on the Anzac Bridge last week, it looked like it had those multi-spoke BBS alloys on it. Maybe he was going to MacQuarie Uni, it was a guy driving, he was about 26 years old. Could be postgrad student or lecturer.

Holler at me if you have seen one with those multi spoke alloys. I also see an all black SVX parked in Oxford St nearly every time i go past that st. Its not in very good condition though, but you don't see too many all black ones around. You should check it out.

27 August 2002 to 27 January 2004 - she will be missed

Was back in Sydney for a while but not hot enough so now in Dubai! Has it been that long since I owned SVX-33H!
Old 05-10-2003, 08:28 AM
the Flying Member

Send a message via AIM to pylon500 Send a message via Yahoo to pylon500 Send a message via Skype™ to pylon500
G'Day All, Hi Joe,
Thanks for the advice, sounds about what I was thinking.
Well, I've got her back from the tranny guy, basically did a complete overhaul.
New Seal& Ring kit, Complete set of Clutches, set of Bands, a new Filter ,a set of Solenoids and a Diff Transfer Tube?
Also reconditioned parts as follows, torque converter, Pump Assy, Valve Body, Rear Planetary Assy and Rear Clutch Hub; damage, $3185.00.

As for a tranny cooler, he was non commital so I'm thinking I might wait until after winter and look then. Just out of interest, the tranny guy said he has a rear drive shaft for an SVX he got in for a job that never happened, any offers?call him on 02 9808 3388.
My next major project has to be the injectors and O2 sensors, as this rough running is driving me nuts, then I will look into some of the oil leaks.
My other list of things to do include fixing the blown light behind the 'D' on the dash, finding out why the park lights don't come on at the first switch position, trying to find out how to fill the tank in less than 15 minutes , doing something to stop the seat belt from wedging in the pillar shackle, and fixing the sun visor better than the bit of velcro that holds it there now
I'm getting odd little squeaks out of the brakes now and then, not so much from the discs as from either the booster or the ABS, sounds like a high pressure relief valve venting?
I'm also wondering just how much braking effect does one get from the motor when you pull your foot off the gas I'm new to auto's, my only other experience is with a friends 253, 3 speed Commodore which seemed to help slowing down a bit when you backed off and while braking you could hear it downshifting. It actually worked well if you drove it 'manually' selecting up and down, I also got into the habit of sitting at lights in neutral as I felt this put less load on the tranny (also easier on the foot), any comments?
Projects for a later date (round tuits ), fit lights to the front and rear centre lenses, fit some rear speakers (strangely missing ) and fix up all the broken plastic bits; console, armrests, steering shaft cover etc.
Hey James if there's going to be a gathering, count me in , also how do you attach that little animated giff to your to your 'handle'? I'm on a mac and have animation maker
Later Dudes,
Arthur.
'04 Liberty B Spec 3.0R wagon-Silver
'02 Outback 2.5 wagon-White For Sale

I Don't Drive Fast, I Just Fly Low!!
I've moved to Taree , check out my progress at Picasaweb.

That's a 'V' in SVX dammit!
Old 05-11-2003, 01:44 AM

Registered SVX
Greetings Arthur from even further down under.

It is nice to welcome someone who provides a real name one can address as well as a full profile. So many appear to want to hide things but not so much among us straight up and down guys down under !

Tackle your restoration in stages, ask specific questions here and also in the technical threads so that they can be tackled one by one and you will get there. There are plenty of kind people posting who will help with practical info based on been there and done that know how.

The noise you describe sounds much like a common power steering system easy fix problem. Make sure when checking that you do not have some turning pressure on the steerig wheel at the time you brake which could be confusing the diagnosis.

I can't see much advantage in moving to neutral during temporary stops, but there is worthwhile advantage in using 3, i.e. direct drive, and not D, which is an overdrive, for stop start under 80 km. motoring about town etc. This way the transmission does not work away all the time with futile hunting up and down between D and 3.

Best of luck, Trevor. *<)

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!

Last edited by Trevor; 05-11-2003 at 01:59 AM.
Old 05-12-2003, 04:03 AM
Countess

Oh gee, now I am famous ... or is that infamous ? *grin*

Jamsvx ... COUNT ME IN ... depending which weened it is !!! Can I still come even tho I am an SVX killer ? *looks up at you hopefully*

pylon ... I saw that $8,500 SVX the day after I bought mine ... I spent $17,000. That means you can spend $9500 to get it in good working order *smirk* And then it will be up to scratch with a normal priced 1992!

And ... there is a yellow one at Gosford??? I am 15 mins from Gosford ... I have never seen it ... why not ?? Where is the owner ??? Come drive past my house, dammit !!! Well, please ???

Sydney Meet ... Do it ... if you have it on the 24th ... Yeah, of May - or any second weekend after that and I can be there !! I can bring a model SVX that is not put together yet ... needs lots of filing ...

*cheers happily and swirls her cape*

Who wants to sell me an SVX ???

Old 05-12-2003, 06:34 PM

Arthur, one of the guys on here did it (all the SVX colours) - I cannot remember the site but try a search on for "animated SVX gif" or such.
Are you able to make animated gifs? I have an idea for one that I'd love to get made if you can help.

Countess, sorry to hear what happened - there was a white one for sale in Mona Vale in the Trading Post about 6 weeks ago - did you make any inquiries on that??

Cheers

James

PS: anyone and everyone welcome at a SVX gathering.

PPS: I have the yellow SVX contact details at home and will dig them up

Was back in Sydney for a while but not hot enough so now in Dubai! Has it been that long since I owned SVX-33H!
Old 05-13-2003, 04:28 AM
Countess

Nah, did not look much at that stage, I had the one I wass going to buy since about a week after mine was stolen. Only saw that $8500 one because the guy I wanted to buy from got sick of waiting for my insurance (so did I), so I was looking around to see what else was out there.

Think I might have to buy a 94/95 Liberty sedan for now, til I find a good SVX. Couple of SVXs on carsales.com.au but they seem a *tad* pricey for the km's.

Will keep looking tho ...
Old 05-13-2003, 04:50 PM

The good thing about Oz is that, from a buyers point of view, the ball is in your court! If they need to sell it, they will have to take what the market offers, irrespective of whatever nonsense price they want.

Most of them have tried trading them in, to be offered below $10,000 since a dealer knows how hard they are to shift.

Find one that you like, pull the insurance cheque and then offer them what YOU think it is worth....I've had a few occassions where I made offers, they were rejected and then they had the audacity to call me months later asking if I was still interested!

One particular timewasting insulting and rude individual comes to mind!

Anyways, give it a shot..also, if you want, stick an ad in the SMH saying "SVX Wanted" - it drags a couple out of the woodwork!

James

Old 05-13-2003, 06:36 PM
Countess

Good thinking, 99 !!!

I like the way your brain works!!

*swirls her cape around you happily*
Old 05-14-2003, 04:08 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Talking pylon the fixes

Quote:
Originally posted by pylon500
G'Day All, Hi Joe,
Thanks for the advice, sounds about what I was thinking.
Well, I've got her back from the tranny guy, basically did a complete overhaul.
New Seal& Ring kit, Complete set of Clutches, set of Bands, a new Filter ,a set of Solenoids and a Diff Transfer Tube?
Also reconditioned parts as follows, torque converter, Pump Assy, Valve Body, Rear Planetary Assy and Rear Clutch Hub; damage, $3185.00.

As for a tranny cooler, he was non commital so I'm thinking I might wait until after winter and look then.

<< You might consider putting in a tranny temp gauge, and see if some of the peaks scare you into doing it sooner. Your price is about the same I paid, except you got more done. Consider yourself ahead.>>

I'm also wondering just how much braking effect does one get from the motor when you pull your foot off the gas I'm new to auto's, my only other experience is with a friends 253, 3 speed Commodore which seemed to help slowing down a bit when you backed off and while braking you could hear it downshifting.

<<Agree with Trevor here, as usual. I drive mine in 3 most of the time until over 100kph is reached. There is nearly no braking effect in 4 because it is a very high overdrive. The car will slow on the overrun in 3, handy for smooth driving and keeping the brakes[and the driver!] cool. Your best bet for fixing the floppy sunvisor is buy one from Japan if you can get it. If one is not available, try buying a passenger side one from the States. The driver's one wears most, so the passenger one being on the right in the US, they may have a stock on the site I gave you. Best of luck with the fiddly fixes.>>
Later Dudes,
Arthur.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 05-14-2003, 08:15 AM
the Flying Member

Send a message via AIM to pylon500 Send a message via Yahoo to pylon500 Send a message via Skype™ to pylon500
HI Guys, and Countess (bows),
G'Day Joe, The tranny temp guage was my next thought, just have to think where to put it
All the young 'guns' in their lowered Civics and Lancers seem happy enough to tack on guages all over the dash, screen pillars and out on the bonnets
Not quite what you would expect to see in a class machine like an SVX , although this points to an omission (I feel) by Subaru by not equipping with enough instruments.
I would have thought the very least would be an oil pressure guage then followed by an amp meter (it is an auto, so you can't push start it!) in fact for the original new price I'm suprised they didn't go all the way to fuel flow and trip meters to go with the cruise control.
It's odd really that tacho's are an option in many manuals while auto's seem to come standard with them even though you have less control over it.
Maybe it's just the pilot in me comming out, I like lots of dials, I like to know whats going on
OK, gear boxes; does the torque converter go into lock-up mode if held to 3rd gear?
Does the 'Manual' button exclude 1st gear totally? and,
Can you damage the box by selecting reverse while going forward
Animations; Hi James, I'm still only an amateur with animation although I did a night class term at Bankstown Tech and have sort of created a couple on my computer, my real question was how to attach it to your letterhead but I now think it is the 'attach file' part of the posting form, we'll see.
OK folks, I'm off to bed, any more ideas on a get together?
Arthur.
'04 Liberty B Spec 3.0R wagon-Silver
'02 Outback 2.5 wagon-White For Sale

I Don't Drive Fast, I Just Fly Low!!
I've moved to Taree , check out my progress at Picasaweb.

That's a 'V' in SVX dammit!
Old 05-14-2003, 08:27 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
G'Day Joe, The tranny temp guage was my next thought, just have to think where to put it
All the young 'guns' in their lowered Civics and Lancers seem happy enough to tack on guages all over the dash, screen pillars and out on the bonnets
Not quite what you would expect to see in a class machine like an SVX , although this points to an omission (I feel) by Subaru by not equipping with enough instruments.
I would have thought the very least would be an oil pressure guage then followed by an amp meter (it is an auto, so you can't push start it!) in fact for the original new price I'm suprised they didn't go all the way to fuel flow and trip meters to go with the cruise control.
It's odd really that tacho's are an option in many manuals while auto's seem to come standard with them even though you have less control over it.
Maybe it's just the pilot in me comming out, I like lots of dials, I like to know whats going on
OK, gear boxes; does the torque converter go into lock-up mode if held to 3rd gear?
Animations; Hi James, I'm still only an amateur with animation although I did a night class term at Bankstown Tech and have sort of created a couple on my computer, my real question was how to attach it to your letterhead but I now think it is the 'attach file' part of the posting form, we'll see.
Arthur.
Pylon, some are replacing their coin tray with their temp sensor, or, mounting it in their ash tray slot (non smokers, of course). Doug Mohr (mohrds), however, has redone an entire instrument cluster with guages, which looks very nice. You might PM him to get some tips.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 05-14-2003, 08:30 AM
Countess

To get the animated gif as your picture, you go to user cp, up the top ... then click on Edit Options ... then down the bottom is Avatar ... that is where your piccie goes !!!

Old 05-14-2003, 04:59 PM

I agree with Joe and Trevor - the tranny temp spikes will cause a collapse of knees, a faint feeling and a hands a tremblin'!!

I bought a Dakota Digital gauge (so as to try and closely match the stock instrumentation on the centre console (go to www.dakotadigital.com) - it set me back about $150AU

I have yet to install it but bought another ashtray from the US and will install it in that so that I can close the cover and it will all look the same - much as aI like aircraft, I don't like the whole "engineer's position on a B36" look that a lot of the imports have - more gauges than I don't know what!

That said, if you wanted analog (ie, a dial rather than numbers) gauges, the DEFI-link gauges cost a packet but can be all interlinked and do a cool self-test on start up where they spin around.....then get a red starter button and voila....Biggles away!

As for tranny, I also drive in 3 except at constant speeds above 80kph

Just sorting out work so will organise meet asap

Cheers

James

Old 05-15-2003, 02:20 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Arthur.
Hello Arthur.

I suspect Subaru kept the gauge count down on purpose. Sort of "You don't need to know or worry about that. The computer does it all for you." attitude.

In reality, an amp gauge is an unnecessary luxury, unless you load up with heavy duty audio. Tranny oil temp gauge is a very definite bonus. Randy is right, you can do away with the coin tray, site it there.

Lock up in 3?
My reading of the techie tranny manual [ATSG]suggests the tranny can lock up in 2,3 and D when POWER mode is switched on. The stated reason is "higher performance".

In normal [non-POWER] mode of the gearbox, it locks up for "lower fuel consumption", this would be full lock-up at steady throttle positions. It does not work or it disengages for a number of reasons, ATF temp too low, gear shifting, rapid acceleration etc.

There is definitely no lock-up function in R, N or 1.

US members vehemently disagree that lock-up activates at all in POWER mode. This is a reasonable point of view from their perspective. POWER mode only comes on for them by software control, i.e. when rapidly accelerating, one of the "lock-up non operational conditions". My car is JDM and is different, I can have POWER mode on all the time via a switch on the gearshift console.

It is pretty easy to verify in D if lock-up has engaged, steady light acceleration will show the speed rising in direct proportion to the revs. What the US chaps are forgetting is the lock-up clutch has a variable range of duty control, from 5% to 95%. So I suspect that in POWER mode under non-rapid acceleration, it is partially engaged to give a modicum of "direct drive" for better performance. Harvey knows the box best, and if he disagrees with my view, I will defer to his deeper knowledge.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl