Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > European Forum

Old 01-04-2003, 05:34 PM
Johannes

SVX tranny & VIN

Hi,

I am currently in process of purchasing SVX, propably -92 or -93 from central Europe. I guess you guys in this forum could help me to determine a couple of things, since I haven't owned an SVX before...

a) European SVX models, I hear, are different from U.S. models. Which models exists in -92 and -93, and how to determine which one the car is? Mostly I'm interested in getting the car with speed-sensitive power steering, not the rpm-sensitive. In U.S the speed-sensitive steering came with touring package (and X35 in VIN), Europeans seem to have another VIN coding.

b) How the check the condition & sheer functionality of transmission & 4wd on test drive (dry surface)? I know how 4wd feels (owned Lancia Integrale 16v before), but on non-slippery surface and short test drive 4wd testing will be difficult.

c) By vehicle VIN, is it possible to know which version of tranny is in the car? As we know Subaru made many modification on -92 and -93 to improve the transmission (bigger coolers etc.).

And finally, are there any SVX-specific things to watch out when purchasing car?

Br, Johannes
Old 01-05-2003, 04:13 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
VIN dication

Hi Johannes

First, a warm welcome, hope you find a good car.

Regards the European VIN, can't help, as mine is ex Japan. I do know the UK cars had all or most of the goodies, except 4 wheel steer, which was Japan only. In fact UK cars get headlight washers and glass headlights, better than the US and Japan spec. I imagine German cars [TUV spec] also have glass headlights, and they would tend to send hi-spec steering on Euro cars, as they were premium priced. Marty McFly from Austria will verify if this is so, go to Members button above, look under M for Marty and send him a private message.

Regards tranny updates; you need to go for a car later than 94. Certain gearbox items were uprated, friction material etc. The standard cooler is no bigger, but a restrictive mesh is removed in later models.

Any car you buy, you would be well advised to put an extra cooler on the transmission oil. [If you live in a cold climate, take some advice on how to get it connected in from some of the experts on here.]

Rear wheel bearings tend to go, costly enough to fix, and difficult to fix properly.

Driver electric window switches tend to break with abuse or heavy use. Windows also tend to scratch with grit in the internal runners. No easy cure for this.

Power steering tends to give trouble by taking in air due to a faulty O ring seal between the reservoir and the pump. This is very easy to fix and gives positive improvement, but I have never done mine [yet!].

Very little else goes wrong, the car is very well built in the Japanese fashion, and a pleasure to drive when all is well.

Parts are expensive, and you will need a knowledgeable dealer or service agent to care for the car. So be careful if buying a high mileage car.

Best of luck with your quest, a good way to start the New Year

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: