Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-08-2009, 07:10 PM
Subaru Technician

Send a message via AIM to Hondasucks Send a message via MSN to Hondasucks Send a message via Yahoo to Hondasucks
Registered SVX
Re: questions about a gem

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_the_cook View Post
So, since I will feel like giving it a work out once I take possesion I may consider driving to Corvalis- theoretically I could be there in about 20 minutes...
Firstly, are you capable of doing the ECUTune? and if so, what would you charge to do the ECUTune and tranny cooler w/the "spin on filter thingy"?

As it stands, I do have an outstanding mechanic (Richie @ Superior Import Repair) here in the Portland area that I've been taking all my Subies to for 5 years now.
Richie is good, I've done business with him in the past... I don't know what we'd charge you for the 60K service - You could call 541 754 1515 and speak with Dave in Service, he can get you a quote, mention that you know me (Andrew)... As for the other stuff, figure an hour for the computer swap ($85) and an hour for the external filter installation. (two if you are going to add a cooler as well)... We can do a tranny fluid exchange at the same time, would be beneficial. (We have the new "high pressure" Subaru ATF which I've been thinking about putting in my SVX... It's for the 5EAT but it works in the 4EAT as well.)
1992 SVX LS-L #1222 Pearl White
1987 GL Turbo wagon, 5 lug conversion, D/R 5 speed (Rice killer)
1992 Dodge Ram 4x4 diesel (car hauler)
1968 Dodge Polara convertible (Camaro killer)
1990 Toyota Corolla FWD auto (330,000 mile grocery getter)
1986 VW Jetta
Old 04-09-2009, 08:47 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondasucks View Post
Richie is good, I've done business with him in the past... I don't know what we'd charge you for the 60K service - You could call 541 754 1515 and speak with Dave in Service, he can get you a quote, mention that you know me (Andrew)... As for the other stuff, figure an hour for the computer swap ($85) and an hour for the external filter installation. (two if you are going to add a cooler as well)... We can do a tranny fluid exchange at the same time, would be beneficial. (We have the new "high pressure" Subaru ATF which I've been thinking about putting in my SVX... It's for the 5EAT but it works in the 4EAT as well.)

Me thinks it sounds like a project for when I have money again... and when I can explain it to my wife that a little more money now will help the car last longer for less money down the road.

I'm having a hard enough time convincing her that the F/R sways I just put on my 97 OBS will make it ride much smoother and corner without rolling over like a dog..

-me.

'97 Ebony LSi 59k miles
'07 B9 Tribeca 103k miles
'65 Mustang 289 256k original miles
Old 04-09-2009, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Me thinks it sounds like a project for when I have money again... and when I can explain it to my wife that a little more money now will help the car last longer for less money down the road.

I'm having a hard enough time convincing her that the F/R sways I just put on my 97 OBS will make it ride much smoother and corner without rolling over like a dog..
I would just explain to the "little woman" that you are "the man", she is the woman and women don't know anything about this sort of thing. Best she get back in the kitchen!

Also... You are the man of the house, which, is like being the captain of the ship!

Another suggestion would be to print this out and read it to her so you get it exactly right!

There you go!!!

Keith

If she brings up that ship captain that is currently in the news... that is being held off his ship in the lifeboat by terrorists that want to behead him, and says anything about there being a parallel to your impending situation, or reminds you that you may be the captain, but she is the Admiral, you are on your own from there!
Old 04-10-2009, 01:26 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
I would just explain to the "little woman" that you are "the man", she is the woman and women don't know anything about this sort of thing. Best she get back in the kitchen!

Also... You are the man of the house, which, is like being the captain of the ship!

Another suggestion would be to print this out and read it to her so you get it exactly right!

There you go!!!

Keith

If she brings up that ship captain that is currently in the news... that is being held off his ship in the lifeboat by terrorists that want to behead him, and says anything about there being a parallel to your impending situation, or reminds you that you may be the captain, but she is the Admiral, you are on your own from there!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.... apparently you've never dealt with a fire-ball, red-headed, Mc-Wop (Irish-Italian) withan especially short fuse! My god man look at her wrong and she belches fire, farts lightning, and will shoot icicles from her eyes!

There are better ways than brute-force stubbornness... it has taken me a few years to learn this, but there are. I just haven't figured this case out yet. It's ok... I've still got some time.

And if all else fails, I put it on my credit card and don't say anything.... not like she's going to be driving the car EVER anyways

-me.

'97 Ebony LSi 59k miles
Old 04-10-2009, 01:45 PM

Registered SVX

Congrats on a great score

Keep it stock and tidy it up. if you did convert it to manual keep all the bits so if the nxt owner etc wanted to convert it back to original they could
1973 1400 GSR Yelo 2 Door Coupe awaiting Restoration
Old 04-10-2009, 02:56 PM

Quote:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.... apparently you've never dealt with a fire-ball, red-headed, Mc-Wop (Irish-Italian) withan especially short fuse! My god man look at her wrong and she belches fire, farts lightning, and will shoot icicles from her eyes!

There are better ways than brute-force stubbornness... it has taken me a few years to learn this, but there are. I just haven't figured this case out yet. It's ok... I've still got some time.

And if all else fails, I put it on my credit card and don't say anything.... not like she's going to be driving the car EVER anyways
Being married to a redhead myself... I feel you...

But you had better be able to pay off the credit card without affecting her, before putting it on the credit card and not telling her. Money problems will screw up a marriage faster than almost anything, short of infidelity.

I am a die hard no-slushbox driver, after having owned a car and a truck with autos....

And even I would have a hesitation converting a pristine car, unless I was 1000 percent sure that it would be better in every way afterward than before, even down to the shift boot in the console fitting just right. A pristine car is so much easier to keep pristine than to bring something back from the brink, it makes it harder to even start messing with a pristine car, in my mind.

I would like to eventually do an SVX project car, and would probably convert it to manual shift... but I would probably start with a car that isn't a museum piece, to start modifying on. If I came across a museum quality car, I would probably either keep it that way, and get another, or trade it off to someone else around here who will keep it pristine, for the value or car-for-car trade of an ~80% car, and a little cash for conversion/mod parts, and not feel bad about hacking into a museum piece, and the secondary benefit of bringing the 80% car back toward 99%, with a favored manual gearbox included.

But if it can be done to a factory or better level, then maybe... but keep in mind, if the wife ain't happy, ain't nobody happy... even with a manual-gearbox pristine SVX... don't get yourself in too much trouble. It is easier to drive an automatic car, than a car that your wife has taken out her frustration on, or her shoe permanently stuck between you and the driver's seat or any other seat for that matter.

Last edited by BoxerFanatic; 04-10-2009 at 03:05 PM.
Old 04-11-2009, 04:36 PM
Old Guy

I'm more concerned with the process of taking the car out of hibernation than all the other things that have been mentioned. How long has it been stored? How often was the car started/driven during the past few years it has been inactive? There are issues with such things as brake fluid, seals, shock absorbers, etc. that should be dealt with first and foremost. If the car has truly been inactive for long periods of time, you need to consult an expert to get all the little things checked out. Best wishes.
Preston
Old 04-11-2009, 06:25 PM

Quote:
So, since I will feel like giving it a work out once I take possesion I may consider driving to Corvalis- theoretically I could be there in about 20 minutes...
Firstly, are you capable of doing the ECUTune? and if so, what would you charge to do the ECUTune and tranny cooler w/the "spin on filter thingy"?

As it stands, I do have an outstanding mechanic (Richie @ Superior Import Repair) here in the Portland area that I've been taking all my Subies to for 5 years now.
The last person I'd take it to is Richie - he doesn't know **** about SVX's. He did my timing belt and didn't bother replacing the cam seals and didn't even asking me about it. When I brought it up later he said "well you were trying to keep costs down". He's an idiot. His dad Rich replaced the cam seal after the fact for next to nothing because he knew his son screwed up.

For basic stuff I'd feel good taking it to RICH or to mountain tech in oregon city, but for anything related to the transmission or that is very SVX specific i'd go with HS's recommendations.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:34 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Just Eric View Post
Pardon me if I'm incorrect(tom? Phil?)...but the only signals between the ecu and tcu are the atmospheric pressure sensor and the torque control. After the swap you would have a cel for theese two functions....but it would work fine
No, There is a data signal that the OBDII SVXi have between the TCU and ECU that cannot be interupted without a code being thrown for it and a CEL to match

Tom
Old 10-04-2013, 03:58 PM

Registered SVX
Re: questions about a gem (ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT!)

Sorry for the Zombie thread posting, but after how long now, my Auntie-in-law is ready to sell me the Ebony '97 LSi... with 41k miles, not 60k as originally reported. (she just wasn't ready to part with her and her husband's favorite toy). She's so funny, she tells me "I know you Subaru-fanatic types; Stan was one of them... Please just promise me you wont modify the engine." We didn't say anything about the suspension, however.

(PS> Does anyone here remember Stan Morehouse? This is his car, which I will name in his honor.)

I pick it up this Sunday, first stop is her mechanic to check road worthiness for the 180 mile trip back to my house. I hope I can get out of there without spending too much, but I expect I'll need some fluids replaced.

Either way, I will post pictures once I get it home. Registration on this page will happen very shortly.

-me.

'97 Ebony LSi 59k miles
Old 10-04-2013, 04:09 PM
Cruisin' in Gator Country
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Wow! Who blessed you? You sound like the right person to respect the car and wishes of the original owner.
Can't wait to see some pics.
Gene
1994 SVX LSi AWD 95K - Emerald Pearl (sold)
1992 SVX LS-L AWD 115K - Dark Teal 4.44 swap (sold)
Old 10-07-2013, 02:01 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX

Wow, talk about persistence!

Sounds great though, well deserved!

But not to get too far off track, but the irony of this zombie thread coming back now is that the movie about Captain Phillips that Keith was talking about as an in-progress news story back in 2009 comes out this week!

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...