Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-10-2007, 07:07 AM

Cold start problem thermosensor?

My SVX is hard to start when the motor is cold. I have to work the gas pedal in order to make it initially fire, otherwise it would just crank and not start. I remember reading that this was a common problem and it was most likely a thermosensor on drivers side of the intake manifold. does anyone know the part number or if it's sensor B or C in the illustrations? B says "guage" so I'm thinking it must be for the dash cluster.
Thanks,
Chris
Old 10-10-2007, 07:17 AM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
The single wire sensor is for the gauge.
The two wire sensor is connected to the ECU and could be the cold start problem sourse.
I have to go to Fredrick today, why don't you meet us and I can run the Subaru Select Moniter on your SVX?
Tom
301-707-3437
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 10-10-2007, 07:17 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Yes, the one that's marked "gauge" has one wire and it is for the gauge cluster. The other one has two wires and it is for the ECU and fans.

If you go to www.rockauto.com it is part 5S1579 listed for $20.79.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:12 AM
Subaru Swapper

Send a message via AIM to AFBeefcake
The dealer most likely has them in stock for about $28. I had the same problem with both my Subaru and replacing the temp sensor fixed them both.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles View Post
The single wire sensor is for the gauge.
The two wire sensor is connected to the ECU and could be the cold start problem sourse.
I have to go to Fredrick today, why don't you meet us and I can run the Subaru Select Moniter on your SVX?
Tom
301-707-3437
Thank you very much for the offer, but my SVX is at my parents house in Shepherdstown, its too difficult to find parking for 3 cars downtown, LOL!
I'm rather certain it's the thermosensor mentioned, def not concerned about spending $30 to find out being that I've had BMWs all of my life! Whenever I do bring it to Frederick though, everyone is welcome check it out. It's a five speed
Old 10-10-2007, 08:32 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by listed5 View Post
Thank you very much for the offer, but my SVX is at my parents house in Shepherdstown, its too difficult to find parking for 3 cars downtown, LOL!
I'm rather certain it's the thermosensor mentioned, def not concerned about spending $30 to find out being that I've had BMWs all of my life! Whenever I do bring it to Frederick though, everyone is welcome check it out. It's a five speed
Just so that you know, We, Green_Eyed_Lady and I are having an SVX mini meet on the 27th&28th of this month and all SVX owners are invited.
Info here.
http://http://www.subaru-svx.net/for...ad.php?t=40908
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 10-10-2007, 10:37 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by listed5 View Post
My SVX is hard to start when the motor is cold. I have to work the gas pedal in order to make it initially fire, otherwise it would just crank and not start. I remember reading that this was a common problem and it was most likely a thermosensor on drivers side of the intake manifold. does anyone know the part number or if it's sensor B or C in the illustrations? B says "guage" so I'm thinking it must be for the dash cluster.
Thanks,
Chris
Your exact advice regarding working the gas pedal, suggests that the problem could involve the throttle position sensor. Check out the how to stuff for my advice on testing and setting same. Well worth doing and zero expense.

Whatever, when you achieve a fix, please report back here as this will help the information on file.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 01-29-2008, 07:35 PM

Problem solved

I was having a problem with my starter not engaging some time ago. the wire to the starter was only putting out 10 volts which would not always engage the starter. I wired in a push button to activate the starter and would only turn the key to the on position when I attempted to start the car, consequently, the ecu would never go into a cold start mode. One day, I decided to turn the key to the start position in addition to pushing the starter button. It came to life immediately. just wanted to give closure to those of you that wanted an answer.
Thanks again,
Chris
Old 01-29-2008, 09:02 PM

Registered SVX
Chris, special thanks for providing the additional info.

I presume your extra start button was wired to the solenoid coil in place of the original wire. The original wire completes a rather involved circuit from the ignition switch to finally energise the solenoid, importantly as you now confirm along with a feed to the ECU. This sub circuit must activate a start mode, hence the reason for the sequence you describe.

The ideal would of course be to trace where the voltage drop causing the problem is occurring. This has become a common failure yet to be resolved.

You have added still another clue in this rather baffling circuitry.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!