Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-16-2002, 10:26 PM
gcookaustin

Changing ATF filter - easy? Fluid need to be drained?

I got my front brake pads replaced for 35 dollars at the auto shop next door to where I work. Now my SVX is drivable! The lady who wrote my repair ticket commented on the cool windows.
At least three questions though:
I am thinking of replacing the Transmission filter or installing the Transmission filter / cooler recall kit. Are either one / both doable by someone with no experience? I searched the board but didn't find any instructions. Does any fluid need to be drained before the filter kit is installed?
Also if I replace the timing belt and water pump and stuff, does the coolant need to be drained? I want to flush the cooling system but don't want to do that early if it's just going to be drained and refilled again.
Is one of the cam / crank seals the same thing as the "front engine seal" that everyone talks about?

Thanks y'all!
Old 04-17-2002, 05:45 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

If you drive the front wheels up on some wood about 6"high, very little tranny fluid will come out when the hoses are disconnected because the front of the car will be higher.

However, if you haven't changed the tranny fluid since you got the car it would be a good idea to do so. Change it often as it isn't much$ When was the pan dropped last and the magnet cleaned off?

Everyone seems to struggle a little putting in the tranny cooler. They can all be a little different depending on brand and model and where you want to put it. I do not know if there are more than 3 alike between all the cars. I suggest you find one that is done and have look.

Timing belt can be doen without changing the coolant but pulling the radiator may make this easier. You would have a little more room. The main seal "front engine seal" is the crank seal. It is presed into the oil pump housing. The cam seals are out further to the left and right of the main seal.

Just my thoughts on the seals. I have done the tranny cooler and filter myself.
Old 04-17-2002, 12:21 PM
gcookaustin

Quote:
Originally posted by svx_commuter

However, if you haven't changed the tranny fluid since you got the car it would be a good idea to do so. Change it often as it isn't much$ When was the pan dropped last and the magnet cleaned off?
pan dropped? It's still got all the original fluid and filter. I might take it to a transmission place and have them change the filter and flush it; does flushing it involve cleaning off the magnet, or should I be sure to tell them to do that too?
Old 04-17-2002, 03:33 PM

I would ask if they clean off the magnet and have them do it. If your talkng about the filter in the transmission it is really a very fine screen. It's a trash rack for when the tranny eats its self. No need to change it unless they find a bunch of shreaded metal in the pan. They could also take it out and look at it. See if it has metal chips in it.

Other people hav einstalled external filters that can be changed. These actually help take out the metal powered that would normally end up on the magnet. The magnet can only hold so much before it become ineffective.

Are you sure the pan has never been dropped and the fluid changed? How many miles you got on this? What color is the fluid?
Old 04-17-2002, 06:17 PM
gcookaustin

Quote:
Originally posted by svx_commuter

Are you sure the pan has never been dropped and the fluid changed? How many miles you got on this? What color is the fluid?
Yep, I'm sure the tranny stuff has never been done. nearly 82000 miles. Fluid looks reddish, but not "translucent" red, more like a purplish red. Doens't feel gritty. I guess I should have it flushed and the magnet cleaned?
Old 04-17-2002, 06:56 PM

Yes i would change it.
Old 04-17-2002, 08:54 PM
gcookaustin

I've got a coupon for 19.95 for new fluid, pan gasket, clean the screen, adjust bands, and filter if needed. I guess I'll take it in Saturday. Does that cover everything? Does the SVX use a "specialty" filter or will they probably have one that fits? Thanks!
Old 04-17-2002, 09:28 PM
gcookaustin

Whoa, does the '92 SVX even have a transmission filter? I was reading the TSB for the filter kit and it talks about how it is just a filter for the transmission, as if it doesn't already have one?
Old 04-17-2002, 09:54 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Quote:
Originally posted by gcookaustin
Whoa, does the '92 SVX even have a transmission filter? I was reading the TSB for the filter kit and it talks about how it is just a filter for the transmission, as if it doesn't already have one?
It has a screen in place of an internal filter. The external filter kit was a factory campaign item, in other words the factory paid for it to be installed under warranty.

$19.95, hmmm...you get what you pay for, sometimes less. You know that don't you? The service at that price is a loss leader, they get you in with the promise of a low price and try to nail you for something a lot more rewarding to them. You can bet they'll be using nothing but the best parts and fluids too. Caveat Emptor.