Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2002, 07:03 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

MotorVac Results

I had the Snap-On MotorVac done to my car. This the system Beav was talking about for cleaning the fuel injection system. I am not sure it help gas milage or performance at this time. It did get rid of the cycling RPM that the car used to have at start-up. Now it just starts up and runs steady. It used to surge up and down until it steadied out going through about 3 cycles.
Old 04-02-2002, 07:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
Very interesting! Where was this thread and where does one get this product? Mine has been suffering the "cycling" for quite some time now.

KuoH
Old 04-02-2002, 08:26 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
You can try doing the throttle body and MAF cleaning bit or track down a garage in your area that has a Motorvac system. If you happen to see a Snap-On truck you can flag them down for info also. I haven't looked but you might try the Snap-On website.

Beav
Old 04-03-2002, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kuoh
Very interesting! Where was this thread and where does one get this product? Mine has been suffering the "cycling" for quite some time now.

KuoH
I am glad you found this I remembered that someone had this problem with cycling. Are you the guy that has the cycling real bad? Where the car sometimes just shuts itself off?
From what I understand this cleans out the fuel injectors and cleans off the intake valves and combustion chamber. The service is done at a garage that uses this Snap-on product.
Old 04-03-2002, 06:49 AM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
On some occasions, the first RPM dip is substantial enough to stall the engine. Though usually, it just wavers between 500 and 1200 RPM for the first 5 seconds or so. The engine fires up the first time every time, so this in itself doesn't bother me so much...except when it stalls. Then I have to use the gas pedal to restart, which really irks me on cold mornings, since it renders the remote starter useless.

KuoH
Old 04-05-2002, 11:40 PM
double0bondo

for the record!!

this "product" offered by snap-on, is around $6500!!!! its not an additive, but a machine!!! my good friend owns a shop and has purchased one around a year ago, just to let all of u know not to chase down the snap-on guy, its just not cost effective oh, and FYI, he says he has used his around 50 times, and rarely notices any difference at all!!!, thats right from the guy who ownes and uses the machine...take that for what you will
Old 04-06-2002, 04:32 AM
Not as old as Randy

The reason for chasing down the Snap-On dealer was to find a shop that had the machine, duh.

The results will vary, depending on the car and its condition. I don't remember the exact thread but I'm not in the habit of recommending people spend money for nothing. Probably someone had a problem that I thought this would help rectify. Plus there's this little item called 'Preventative Maintenance' where you actually perform services in order to stave off future repairs....

Beav
Old 04-06-2002, 10:02 AM
double0bondo

duh?!?!?!

sorry for the input, im a fan of paying for something, if it helps, I thought it would be ok to add the comments of a guy who acually bought and uses the unit, sorry
Old 04-06-2002, 10:51 PM
Not as old as Randy

Don't take it personally, geez, I just never expected anyone to spend $6500.

BTW, I have used it, the MAC unit (nowhere near the same) and the cheapo, hang a bottle on the hood units. I've been a pro mechanic for almost 32 years and even sold tools (MAC) for several. Maybe I come across a bit abrupt or excessively candid at times, but I never intend for anyone to feel that their comments aren't warranted or welcome.

Beav

Last edited by Beav; 04-06-2002 at 10:53 PM.
Old 04-07-2002, 05:58 PM

Re: for the record!!

Wow! I just had all 3 of my high milage cars done with this system. I decided to do it to clean out the fuel injectors and the intake valves. I can't say that I have seen any improvement with gas MPG but then again I am looking at this as peventive maintainance. Maybe it would help out a few of our friends that have really low gas mileage. You know down in the 15 MPG range. As I stated earlier it did help the cycling problem with start -up and that is a problem a few people have with their cars.

Does your friend tell his customers that it doesn't work?

Quote:
Originally posted by double0bondo
, he says he has used his around 50 times, and rarely notices any difference at all!!!,
Old 04-07-2002, 08:48 PM
Hater

cleaning injectors

you might want to try a bottle of Chevron Techron. i've been told it can work miracles with gummed up injectors. get the more expensive kind ($5-6 a bottle). they also sell it in a diluted form for a buck or two cheaper, but go for the strong stuff. FWIW, its the only engine/fuel additive approved by Porsche, so there must be something to be said for that. i dump a bottle in once every two months. i aven't had any injector problems, and i'd like to keep it that way.
Alan