Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-03-2002, 09:50 AM

Tranny cooler installation steps?

I'm about to install a tranny cooler to the beast. Just wondering how complex the work is if i want to install it between the a/c condensor and radiator.
Am i going to have to drain the radiator and remove it completely ? Or can i remove the bolts on top of the radiator, push it back without disconnecting the hoses and slide the tranny cooler in ?
What other messy steps are involved?
Thanks in adv.
RB
Old 04-05-2002, 09:52 AM

Unhappy

Anybody know the answers to the questions i posted?
Old 04-05-2002, 01:59 PM
dart

Re: Tranny cooler installation steps?

Quote:
Originally posted by rbalach
I'm about to install a tranny cooler to the beast. Just wondering how complex the work is if i want to install it between the a/c condensor and radiator.
Am i going to have to drain the radiator and remove it completely ? Or can i remove the bolts on top of the radiator, push it back without disconnecting the hoses and slide the tranny cooler in ?
What other messy steps are involved?
Thanks in adv.
RB
When I installed my cooler I had to take out the radiator so I could install the cooler between the condenser and radiator. From there it depends on if you're plumbing the cooler in series or parallel. It also depends on where you are mounting your cooler.
Old 04-05-2002, 06:37 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

I had my cooler in between and it was too hot with the ac on. Moved to in front of the condensor and it was a pain to get it in. Easier to take off the bumper and do it.

I find driving the front wheels up onto 6" high blocks a big help. All the tranny fluid stays in the tranny and I don't have to bend over to get to stuff. Also easier to get under the car. I have a small supply of treated lumber laying around.
Old 04-05-2002, 06:50 PM
dart

Quote:
Originally posted by svx_commuter
I had my cooler in between and it was too hot with the ac on. Moved to in front of the condensor and it was a pain to get it in. Easier to take off the bumper and do it.
Mine is too large to fit in front of the condenser. How did you determine it was running too hot with the AC on? Temp gauge?
Old 04-05-2002, 06:54 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

yes I got a temperarure gauge attached to the tranny line from the tranny. I small non-evassive probe and a digital readout that runs on an "AA" battery. Also tried to by the radiator but i didn't like that.

How big is your cooler? As big as the radiator? Mine is about 1/3 the size.
Old 04-05-2002, 08:46 PM
dart

Quote:
Originally posted by svx_commuter

How big is your cooler? As big as the radiator? Mine is about 1/3 the size.
Its a Hayden 404. The dimension's are 7-1/2"X15.5". I really would like it placed first in the airstream. Say, what type of temp gauge did you install? Did you apply the sensor to the trans output line externally?

Last edited by dart; 04-05-2002 at 08:57 PM.
Old 04-05-2002, 08:47 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
I squeezed a large one in between with the idea that any extra is better than none. I just removed the top two rad bolts and clamped the hoses on the cooler (don't cut them, just clamp both ends on at first) and slid the hoses down through at the bottom - trim the foam if you're so inclined. I accepted the challenge of lacing the hold-down ties through the rad w/o removing the fans, probably the most difficult portion of the job. Take your time and you'll be o.k.

Beav