IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-15-2005, 09:29 PM
.... what a sweet ride !!

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au
Feel free Darrell,
Yes Jim, that happens, a lot of people took it out of circuit when it blocked. and just fitted the air cooler. What they should have done is reverse flush the cooler to remove the debri, and fit a filter to prevent it from happening again.When the extra air cooler is installed before the water cooler, it then will remove the high-end heat, then the water cooler can stablise the temp to normal operating temp, so the trans will operate normally.

Harvey.
Thanks Harvy & Darrell. I didn't mean to hyjack this thread but is sounded like Steve is having the same issue I have. But before I tear into it and reroute my oil lines I would like to be sure this is my problem.

When I read about this 150 deg. warm-up issue I wondered if my 4EAT temperature sensor could be my problem. I have Legacys and Imprezas that have the lower 50 degree warm-up temperature and I assumed the SVX was the same. Now I find out that the SVX switching point is 150 deg. I want to tap into the sensor lines to the TCU and monitor it with a digital voltmeter. I should be able to determine if it is changing as the transmission warms up.

Now, does anyone know the calibration on that sensor? If I had that I could monitor the temperature while driving to determine if the tansmission oil is warming up to a high enough temperature to let the TC engage.

Thanks guys - Jim

'02 Outback - Wife's car
'96 Legacy Wagon - Son's car
'95 Legacy Sedan - #5 Daughter's car
'93 Impreza Sedan - #4 Daughter's car
'92 Claret LS-L - My car ____________
TOTAL = 595,000 Subi miles
Old 10-16-2005, 04:35 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMSVX
Thanks Harvy & Darrell. I didn't mean to hyjack this thread but is sounded like Steve is having the same issue I have. But before I tear into it and reroute my oil lines I would like to be sure this is my problem.

When I read about this 150 deg. warm-up issue I wondered if my 4EAT temperature sensor could be my problem. I have Legacys and Imprezas that have the lower 50 degree warm-up temperature and I assumed the SVX was the same. Now I find out that the SVX switching point is 150 deg. I want to tap into the sensor lines to the TCU and monitor it with a digital voltmeter. I should be able to determine if it is changing as the transmission warms up.

Now, does anyone know the calibration on that sensor? If I had that I could monitor the temperature while driving to determine if the tansmission oil is warming up to a high enough temperature to let the TC engage.

Thanks guys - Jim
OK Jim, the trans temp sensors readings, by the book are as follows;

20*C/68*F = 2.3k to 2.7k ohms. In circuit voltage = 3v to 3.5v.
80*C/176*F = 280 to 360 ohms. In circuit voltage = 1v to 1.3v.

The wire that runs between the gearbox and the TCU is a yellow/green wire, that is at the No. 5 pin on the square gearbox plug, to pin 10 on the 12 pin black plug at the TCU.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 10-16-2005, 08:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
I went the simple route and installed an electric temp gauge in the lines when I added a cooler. I bypassed the factory cooler completely, so on really cold days, the TC doesn't lock at all, even after 30+ minutes of highway driving. Not so great for the gas mileage, but I figure I can always partially cover the cooler if it really bothered me. So far it hasn't, and I am not nearly as concerned about the tranny slipping in summer stop & go traffic. Though if the gas prices keep climbing, I'll start having a piece of cardboard handy.

KuoH
Old 10-16-2005, 08:31 PM
.... what a sweet ride !!

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au
OK Jim, the trans temp sensors readings, by the book are as follows;

20*C/68*F = 2.3k to 2.7k ohms. In circuit voltage = 3v to 3.5v.
80*C/176*F = 280 to 360 ohms. In circuit voltage = 1v to 1.3v.

The wire that runs between the gearbox and the TCU is a yellow/green wire, that is at the No. 5 pin on the square gearbox plug, to pin 10 on the 12 pin black plug at the TCU.

Harvey.
Thanks Harvey. I had the wiring schematic and I know where to cut-in to read the temperature. I will dive into it this week and see if I can find out what's going on.

- Jim

'02 Outback - Wife's car
'96 Legacy Wagon - Son's car
'95 Legacy Sedan - #5 Daughter's car
'93 Impreza Sedan - #4 Daughter's car
'92 Claret LS-L - My car ____________
TOTAL = 595,000 Subi miles