Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > Down Under

Old 09-30-2005, 06:21 PM
BrettC

Red face Good Mechanic Needed

I have a '92 Pearl white SVX and am in the inner part of Sydney. I have a noise and shudder in the front with hard turning and particular turning. As expected I have had all answers and no success. CV's beraings etc have been looked at. It began when I had an oil leak from the valve covers and oil got onto the front end on both sides. The latest suggestion is the transfer case and it will get better. It is not bgetting better. Any suggestions
Brett
Old 09-30-2005, 09:56 PM
it's ruby red - not burgundy!!

Registered SVX
Assuming that the CV joints are not to blame, I would look at either the front or centre differentials.

Shuddering when turning usually indicates that one of these differentials is binding.

One thing that I would try is to insert the "DIFF LOCK" fuse, which is located in the engine bay fuse box. This fuse (which should normally NOT be installed) will lock the centre differential.

If the shuddering does not change, there is a good chance that the centre differential lock-up clutch is stuck on, causing the binding.

I would also check the oil in the front differential. There is a dipstick for that, located at the rear left-hand side of the engine bay (start at the brake fluid tank, and go down and to the right).

Jason.

1992 Ruby Red SVX - 165,000km

....now with sequential VIN numbers!

1986 Holden (Isuzu) Piazza Turbo - 225,000km

1993 Mercedes W140 S500 Coupe - 153,000km

1990 Mercedes W124 300D - 313,000km

EG33 + 4EAT + VTD AWD = SVX

Last edited by JDW-SVX; 09-30-2005 at 10:02 PM.
Old 10-01-2005, 04:34 PM
BrettC

Thanks, fluid a little low but measuring. I think I am the first person to touch that dip stick for a while!! I will try the fuse. I will use the A/C one. Do you know anyone who is good at checking the diffs.
Brett
Old 10-03-2005, 02:57 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Jamsvx Send a message via Yahoo to Jamsvx
Bosnjak Engineering at Wetherill Park is highly recommended on another car forum I am on

Hope it works out - any pics of your car (odds are that one of us has 'sighted' it over the years!)

Cheers

James

27 August 2002 to 27 January 2004 - she will be missed

Was back in Sydney for a while but not hot enough so now in Dubai! Has it been that long since I owned SVX-33H!
Old 10-03-2005, 04:35 AM
BrettC

Thanks for the reply. I will give a call tomorrow. I will get some pics. It has been seen and I have replied. I have owned it since new and it has bicentennial plates BGC 200 I live in the Eastern Suburbs and it is in the area.
Brett
Old 10-03-2005, 04:44 AM
it's ruby red - not burgundy!!

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamsvx
(odds are that one of us has 'sighted' it over the years!)
Ha! I have 'sighted' it!!!

Look at the "SVX Sighting Thread"!!!

Jason.

1992 Ruby Red SVX - 165,000km

....now with sequential VIN numbers!

1986 Holden (Isuzu) Piazza Turbo - 225,000km

1993 Mercedes W140 S500 Coupe - 153,000km

1990 Mercedes W124 300D - 313,000km

EG33 + 4EAT + VTD AWD = SVX
Old 10-03-2005, 04:31 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettC
I have a '92 Pearl white SVX and am in the inner part of Sydney. I have a noise and shudder in the front with hard turning and particular turning. As expected I have had all answers and no success. CV's beraings etc have been looked at. It began when I had an oil leak from the valve covers and oil got onto the front end on both sides. The latest suggestion is the transfer case and it will get better. It is not bgetting better. Any suggestions
Brett
Gid'ay Brett, welcome to the forum. Eastern Suburbs? I lived at Maroubra beach before I saw the light and moved up here to the North Coast.

Your problem would seem to be the Limited Slip Clutch, in the rear of the transmission housing. This clutch is used to prevent wheelspin from the front or rear wheels. It uses the C solenoid and transfer valve to operate it. The solenoid or valves would appear to have stayed in the applied position, to hold the clutch on, causing the noise and shuddering that you have found, as the drive line tries to unwind.

The fix is to remove the rear transmission housing and replace the "Transfer valve Assemble", this includes the solenoid and valve. As the clutch has been binding, it would be prudent to replace the clutch plates while the housing is off.

As you may know, the AWD system that is in our model is different to the US model, you may want to search the Down Under and European Forums for other posts on this problem. Your Friendly Subaru Dealer can do the job, as any good mechanic could. Cost would be about $400.00.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: