Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-16-2005, 10:55 PM
One teal and One yellow

thanks for the responds. i gain more knowledge.

of course i don't want to ruin the $400-$500 expensive tires that i put on. there's the reason why the expensive equipments at the tire stores can do a good job......

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 02-16-2005, 11:02 PM
One teal and One yellow

Quote:
Originally posted by dcarrb

I've seen El Cheapo bubble-balance rigs in catalogs before (maybe Harbor Freight?), but, geez, man, proper high-speed balancing at most shops is a bargain. Why bother?

dcb
hey man, it's a bargain. i can do a mount-and-balance at a local tire shop for $9 per wheel (for our low profile tires)?? can we do it at wal-mart for cheaper?

hey, i figured that if we have 10 vehicles like earl or someone and if each vehicle needs to do balancing once every one or two month. if there's an ok alternative way, it's not a bad idea....

or if buy a high-tech spin balancer like around two thousands...if charge pple doing each for 5bucks, after doing 400 wheels the equipment will be free and can do it anytime you like at home...

Old 02-16-2005, 11:03 PM
One teal and One yellow

Quote:
Originally posted by mbtoloczko

That's amazing. I wouldn't have thought it was that accurate.
It's really, really amazing......how do you balance your tires? do it a couple times to make sure...??

Old 02-16-2005, 11:05 PM
One teal and One yellow

Quote:
Originally posted by Earthworm
It's not going to be perfect but I've never had to re-balance any tire I've ever done.
that's amazing. do all your tires always wear out evenly?
any pics for your oldy bubble balancer?

Old 02-17-2005, 02:51 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I always triple check the balance once I attach the weights. Tires wear out fine but that's more due to the alignment. (I don't do alignments myself ) I've only had to change tires once from Canadian Tire Pacemarks (Bad) to Yoko AVS db s2's (Better).

I'll take a pic of the bubble balancer this weekend.
Old 02-19-2005, 12:28 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Quote:
Originally posted by SilverSpear

you can't rely just on your naked eyes to make an alignment for your car, at least you need a measurement tape and a leveler... then the issue is probable...
What if you have averaged more than four alignments/day, five days/week (actually I worked six days/wk for 26 years) for the past thirty-five years. More than 36,000? I think I can safely say I can come pretty close with my naked eye, but for exact accuracy I still use the machine.

Like Harvey stated, the wider the tire/wheel combo, the less effective static balancing becomes. Mental exercise: place a stick on another, forming a 'T'. Add a weight to each end of the 'T'. When the stick with the weight is spun everything is good. Move one weight above the end of the stick and the other below. Now spin the stick and watch how centrifugal force pulls each weight to the outside, causing the stick to wobble. That's dynamic imbalance and there is absolutely no way to balance that with a bubble balancer or a nail in the wall.

Unless you have some very cheap (not necessarily inexpensive) tires, or are accident/puncture prone, they shouldn't require re-balancing more than once or twice in their lifetime. Ditto with alignments, worn parts, physically bending parts from potholes, accidents, etc. or sagging springs (which usually takes more time than the average set of tires will last) are about the only reasons for the alignment to change. Or the last tech to do it left an adjustment loose...
Old 02-19-2005, 03:32 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Yeh, good example Beav, I couldn't think of an easy way to demonstrate it. That does it well.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 02-21-2005, 06:21 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Beav

What if you have averaged more than four alignments/day, five days/week (actually I worked six days/wk for 26 years) for the past thirty-five years. More than 36,000? I think I can safely say I can come pretty close with my naked eye, but for exact accuracy I still use the machine.

Like Harvey stated, the wider the tire/wheel combo, the less effective static balancing becomes. Mental exercise: place a stick on another, forming a 'T'. Add a weight to each end of the 'T'. When the stick with the weight is spun everything is good. Move one weight above the end of the stick and the other below. Now spin the stick and watch how centrifugal force pulls each weight to the outside, causing the stick to wobble. That's dynamic imbalance and there is absolutely no way to balance that with a bubble balancer or a nail in the wall.

Unless you have some very cheap (not necessarily inexpensive) tires, or are accident/puncture prone, they shouldn't require re-balancing more than once or twice in their lifetime. Ditto with alignments, worn parts, physically bending parts from potholes, accidents, etc. or sagging springs (which usually takes more time than the average set of tires will last) are about the only reasons for the alignment to change. Or the last tech to do it left an adjustment loose...
Man you said it, you are an expert in wheel balancing!!! but what about the other members? the thing can be done if you know what things the adjust in the suspension... but not everybody can do it...
for me spending $20 for an alignment is far better from having the pain to do it myself...

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:36 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
35 years ago we got $14.95 for a front alignment. These days a four wheel alignment will set you back $50-$75. Still a bargain considering the price of tires, gas and being able to hold your beer with one hand and the cell phone with the other with the car going straight down the expressway during rush hour.
Old 02-23-2005, 12:22 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Beav
35 years ago we got $14.95 for a front alignment. These days a four wheel alignment will set you back $50-$75. Still a bargain considering the price of tires, gas and being able to hold your beer with one hand and the cell phone with the other with the car going straight down the expressway during rush hour.
Your problem in the states is Labor Costs and you have a good economy... over here labor has become cheap and our economy is deteriorating... i said $20 for a wheel alignment job, this is the most expensive garage for this job, i can do it for a minimum of $7... an engine rebuilt costs no more than $500....

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.