Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 01-23-2005, 11:23 AM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

Quote:
Originally posted by Chiketkd

Svxfiles related to me an incident that happened to him earlier this week when he went into a 90ft slide while driving around a corner at 30mph (luckily he and his '92 LS-L made it out unscathed). But it brought home the reality that awd isn't immune to Mother nature and the laws of Physics...

-Chike
Very true....must be careful!

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 01-23-2005, 12:36 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Quote:
Originally posted by Chiketkd

Mychailo,

No rally slide pics this time, as I'm still trying to get accustomed to driving my first awd car in the snow.

Svxfiles related to me an incident that happened to him earlier this week when he went into a 90ft slide while driving around a corner at 30mph (luckily he and his '92 LS-L made it out unscathed). But it brought home the reality that awd isn't immune to Mother nature and the laws of Physics...

-Chike
Yeah, best to pick corners with no penalty for losing it. :-)

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 01-24-2005, 10:19 AM
Unstoppable

Snow tires are worth their weight in gold. If I had to make a choice between 2WD w/ Blizzaks and AWD w/ all seasons I would choose the 2WD every time. Theres no point in AWD if the tires can't get power to the ground.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
-George Carlin
Old 01-25-2005, 07:26 PM
THE MEMBER

Send a message via AIM to marlettpat Send a message via Yahoo to marlettpat
very very good point. i still have my directional "racing" tires on....and lemme tell ya they are pretty bad in the snow. but the awd still helps me get wherever i need to go
Old 01-25-2005, 07:33 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by marlettpat
very very good point. i still have my directional "racing" tires on....and lemme tell ya they are pretty bad in the snow. but the awd still helps me get wherever i need to go
If you have a set of all-season or winter tires you should switch over. I switched back to my stock wheels with all-season tires (from my RX-7 rims with summer tires) about 3 weeks ago when snow flurries were in the long term forecast.

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 01-28-2005, 03:09 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I can't believe you're complaining about how bad the SVX stops on ice with bald tires.

Mine stops better than most cars here in Winnipeg and I sometimes worry that the person behind me is going to plow into my back bumper. (It has happened before)

When I break I always use threshold breaking (on the edge of engaging ABS).

Another thing to remember is that ABS will not help you stop sooner, it's designed to keep you in control if you stand on the brakes.

If you're driving at all in the snow please use winter tires. Don't complain about the cost as they will save you from at least one accident and that's enough for them to pay for themselves.
Old 01-28-2005, 08:14 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to newsvx
Registered SVX
Excellent points, Dave!

Also, as Chike said, you can not get around the laws of physics - just won't happen! I think too that another point to consider is that at least one tire has to have some traction for ABS to be effective. Otherwise, there are those laws of physics again. If at least one tire does not have any sort of traction, the car will slide! No doubt about it.

BTW, Chike, the pics are super. A young snow is just plain pretty! But as hard as I looked, I didn't see any four-wheel drifting tracks .
Harry
1992 SVX LSL, #1215
1997 SVX LSi, #370
"I live with fear every day. Sometimes she lets me go racing."
"Getting Older and Slower"
Locker: http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?newsvx
Old 01-28-2005, 09:08 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by newsvx
BTW, Chike, the pics are super. A young snow is just plain pretty! But as hard as I looked, I didn't see any four-wheel drifting tracks .
Harry
Thanks Harry.

Yeah, I drive my car pretty conservatively on a daily basis. Only really push her to the limits at the track. I was just too afraid to try anything wreckless after my previous experiences with my former 300ZX TT and SVT Lightning in light snow - no comparison to the SVX, but slipping and sliding all over the place really makes you timid to try anything outrageous... Plus I'm only one payment away from paying off the bank note. By the end of February she'll officially be mine!

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 01-29-2005, 12:30 AM

Great Pics Chike!

And as the Worm said, Winter (Snow) tires are more then worth the investment if you live anywhere that gets more then a dusting!