Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-26-2004, 09:44 AM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

My car runs very smoothly while running in 3. I cant remember who said it to me before but someone said that its not bad for our engines to rev out. But as i have said before i never let it stay above 3,000 rpms. I only use 4th on the highway or on a very long straight away. Does the TC lock up on every SVX? Does this happen to any other car? Ive always wondered because the TC locking up is one of the weirdest things ive had while driving a car...never seen it in any other car and im young but ive driven alottttt of other cars.

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 07-27-2004, 01:03 AM

Quote:
The natural tendency of the input side of the transmission is also to increase rotational speed, which is logical because it's changing ratios to allow the engine to rotate faster
The natural tendency of the input side of the transmission is to continue with the same speed. Sir Isaac Newton was the first one to discover that. There is no natural tendency of things to spin faster on their own :-).

During a gear change some parts of the planetary have to accelerate, some have to decelerate or even stop. Some have to adjust to input shaft speed, some to output shaft speed. The point is that if a part speed is not already equal to the required speed, a slippage in a clutch has to take place. Slippage = wear.

Nevertheless, given that 3rd gear is typically the first one to fail, I can see a point in that downshifts are less damaging - in 3-to-2 change high clutch will be disengaged quickly, it can be done very quickly - it will not cause any shocks, just let engine rev up freely, and in 4-3 and 2-1 changes it is not involved at all.
Old 07-27-2004, 01:48 AM
SVX Appeal

My point was simply that even if there was no engine connected to the input side of the transmission, a downshift would still cause the input side to increase rotational speed because it is connected to the wheels, which as Newton would point out, are strongly inclined to maintain speed. (Something about inertia and velocity and mass and stuff like that. Rubbish if ya ask me. What a strange fellow, that Isaac. No wonder they thought he was nuts.) And yes, in a slushbox there must be quite a few parts which must get kicked around in the process of changing gears. I haven't taken the time to consider how many parts exactly are involved in a given change, but compared to a manual transmission, an automatic is quite a marvel of engineering to say the least.
Old 07-28-2004, 01:42 AM
SVX Appeal

Perhaps this deserves a new thread, but regarding the "bucking" in third, I've also noticed that when my foot is completely off the throttle, I get normal engine braking. When I just slightly touch the throttle - not enough to actually open the throttle valve - but just enough I'd imagine to juggle the TPS, the compression braking goes away completely as though the overrunning clutch was released. The RPMs actually drop when I touch the throttle pedal.

Driveability is excellent otherwise, but this quirk seems odd. It's far too sensitive to be a factory setting. In fact, it's so touchy that on rare occasions the road is so smooth that the gas pedal will not jiggle up enough to get the normal compression braking to operate. I'm going to have to experiment with this one. What an interesting gremlin.