Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-13-2004, 04:47 PM

alternator options

Hello, i'm looking for some advice. My alternator has been confirmed today from subaru to be in bad shape. I was going to have it rebuilt for around $115.00 but the shop had moved (unknowingly) and i had to reschedule my plans. Subaru also said my starter was shot that i put in around one month ago. My friend at work said the alternator supplying to much power to the battery could have damaged the starter. I am still able to drive the car around even with the battery, ABS, stop and brake lamps on staying on. I hear a click when i go to start the car and eventually the car starts. Before the four warning lights were staying on there was no click when i turned the key over and i thought it was the ignition switch or loose security bolts on the steering column. I haven't checked these yet with the other problems going on. I have never changed an alternator out myself but am fairly mechanically inclined. any thoughts on all this is greatly appreciated. By the way when someone clicks on my thread and the member info to the left is displayed how do i edit this. I would like to add more info and maybe a pic eventually.

95 Laguna Pearl Blue SVX (87,000 MILES) THANKS
Old 07-13-2004, 07:13 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Alternator is simple to change out - if you can change a tire you can change an alternator - 15 minutes tops start to finish.

To change your profile information click on the grey "user cp" button
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 07-13-2004, 08:55 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

immortal_suby

the official "10th annivesary meet, change-out-an-alternator-in-the-parking-lot-while-in-good-clothes kinda guy"

Wish I had pictures of that Matt!

Todd