How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-11-2004, 06:45 PM
JackieBeans

Question R134a air conditioning question

My A/C is not working. . . hence the question. However, before I take her to the doctor for an A/C checkup is there a way for me to check to see if the system has already been changed to an R134a conversion vs. the standard freon that was installed in my '92. I saw the cap comming off the compressor under the hood, but I don't know what the standard freon one vs. the R134a looks like. I was hoping to just spend the 35.00 and refill it myslef in hopes that that was the only problem. . . Inquiring minds want to know. . . .
Old 05-11-2004, 10:58 PM

Conversion to R134 legally requires a new sticker to be put in and new connectors - if you see the quick connect ports it is R134. If you see screw-on connectors (similar to tire valves) - it is R12. One connector is on the pipe next to compressor, the other on filter/drier - white cylindrical thing on the opposite site.

If freon leaked out, then there is a leak somewhere. It is good idea to find it and fix it (it might be just an o-ring) before you refill.

By the way found a/c service prices in todays junk mail - $69 for R134, $99 for R12 including freon, R12 must be still not that expensive...
Old 05-12-2004, 06:52 AM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
The A/C Cylinder looks the same on both. Do a search on this site & you will find info on the O-ring mentioned. Many garages try to tell you you need a whole new system. In Canada the sticker for the conversion is placed right over the old one.

If you simply recharge your system ask the tech to put in a dye to trace any leaks, just in case. (or do it yourself)