How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-24-2004, 12:19 AM
gcookaustin

Exclamation Help: A/C fuse keeps blowing

I found the problem that kept my radiator fans from running at all; it was the A/C fuse (the one in the engine compartment box). It was burnt out; I replaced it and the A/C and radiator fans worked as normal (I knew the A/C wasn't working, but I just figured it had something to do with the code 14 from the Climate Control). I replaced this and the A/C started working again too. Then I went for a drive, and about 15 minutes into it the A/C quit again. I checked the 10A fuse and sure enough it had burnt out too.

1. Can I just replace the 10A fuse with a 15A or something? I'm at the point now where if the A/C bursts into flames over this, good riddance to it.
2. The climate control won't run if it can't find the evaporator temp sensor (i.e. open circuit). The system would also report a code 24 in case there was a short in this cable. I can get to the connector of the evap. sensor, but the actual sensor is an impossible reach without punching a hole in the dash with an axe. I don't have a multimeter; if I get the code for an open circuit (while I can physically see that there's NOT one), then could I safely create a short in the system at the end of the connector, just to see if the problem is somewhere else? I suppose I could go buy a resistor and fool the A/C into always working...

Thanks,
Old 04-24-2004, 01:09 AM
abrasive personality

Send a message via AIM to NomadTW
go to wal mart buy the multimeter i bought
16 bux it gives digital readouts, and has a bunch of functions
i'm glad i bought mine, even though my car still doesn't work

i find it hard to believe that the sensor is inaccessable... is it the temp sensor that senses the interior temperature of the car?
Old 04-24-2004, 07:46 AM
gcookaustin

Quote:
Originally posted by NomadTW

i find it hard to believe that the sensor is inaccessable... is it the temp sensor that senses the interior temperature of the car?
No, this is the sensor that goes into the top back of the evaporator case. It senses the temperature in that box so that the car knows how much cold air to mix, I think. Removing the suede part on the passenger side allows one to see the connector, but the whole dash would have to be removed to get to the sensor apparently. I've searched on the board forever and I have yet to find a post that tells how to remove the whole instrument panel.