How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-12-2004, 06:44 AM
tmwfla

Help please!

I posted this on the Yahoo SVX message board where I've been a member for the past 5 years or so, but I haven't received much response other than to run the "self diagnostic test w/the blue wires", but when reading the procedure here, it sounds like it's meant for someone who is having their "Check Engine" light come on and mine is not coming on. I don't have any fault lights coming on in fact. Please please please help me here. Here is the problem I'm having:

My SVX died on me while I was just sitting w/it running parked
eating lunch, and it won't start anymore. It wants to, but won't
catch and start. Originally when it happened, it would catch and
idle very roughly for about 3 seconds and then die again. It has gas and battery power since all the lights etc come on. I've changed out the alternator thinking that it was the problem, but it hasn't changed anything. Please help me if you can. The car seems to crank fine, and like I said all the electrical items come on but it just won't start. Any suggestions? PLEASE.
Old 01-12-2004, 06:55 AM
crow_road75

Engine starting

Hi,

I've just got my SVX back from what sounds like a very similar problem - my car just died and refused to start.

In the end it turned out to be the temperature sensor, which was overfuelling, and flooding the engine. When my car died I wasn't getting a check engine light either.

I have also seen posts on the other forums about the MAF sensor.

Hope this helps.

Jason
--
Old 01-12-2004, 09:15 AM
JoesSVX

<< It has gas and battery power since all the lights etc come on. I've changed out the alternator thinking that it was the problem, but it hasn't changed anything. Please help me if you can. The car seems to crank fine, and like I said all the electrical items come on but it just won't start. >>

I would agree that it is probably a sensor that is giving a false signal. Remember, you don't get a light from a faulty sensor unless the signal is out of it's normal operating range. If a temp sensor tells the computer the coolant is 20 degrees F and it's 150, it doesn't know any better. All it can do is control the engine to run like it's 20, which is not very well with the coolant at 150.

Did you attempt to run the blue wire in position 1 to look for current faults?
Old 01-12-2004, 11:42 AM
tmwfla

blue wire...

I haven't done any of the "blue wire" tests yet. I will do so as soon as I can. I'm VERY new to working on my cars myself. Changing the alternator is the first thing I've ever done other than installing the head unit in my SVX. I usually leave repairs up to those who know how, but since I've moved to Phoenix, the closest shop to me is 40 miles away or so, and I figure I have as much of a chance learning how to fix my SVX the right way, as the first-timers the "stealerships" put on my car if I take it in. Most of the service guys haven't even seen one of these, let alone work on them, so I guess I'm in the same boat. The advantage I have to them is that I know of these boards and can get good solid advice from knowledgable, experienced people who've worked on their cars themselves.
Plus, I'm tired of shelling out $500 everytime I just walk into a shop with my SVX when/if it has a problem. Mine has been extremely trouble-free since I bought it in '95, but now that it has 135k miles on it, things are going to happen every once in a while. Anyway, enough of my rambling; sorry. I'll try the tests as soon as I can and see if anything comes up and if I can decipher it and go from there.
Keep the suggestions coming if you think of others.
Old 01-12-2004, 11:55 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
if it turns out that the sensor is not bad you might want to take a look at your timing belt. You could have broken it or slipped it and tossed the timing. if that isn't it either the mafs is a very good possibility. a friend of mine had his jetta on the line at the track an couldn't keep it running for more than 3 seconds because his sensor wires were jargled. check the connection on the mass air flow sensor if the connection is god, get a new one, ebay has them for a decent price. Also when you go the the parts store next time order a repair manual for your car, these help a lot in learning about your car.
Old 01-12-2004, 10:44 PM
No front plate on My SVX

Send a message via MSN to CDG
My first guess at the described problem would be the timing belt(s). But there is so many other gismoz that it could be a dozen things.
Good luck. lets us know.

Current Ride, 1985 Honda Aero 80, stock 3024 klms
Old 01-13-2004, 09:44 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I've experienced a jumping timing belt and this doesn't sound like it. If it were it would be making a horrible noise even when cranking over.

Seeing that it doesn't run for long it probably won't be able to throw a code.

My thoughts are definatly in the sensor area...either MAF or crank/cam sensor.