Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > Down Under

Old 11-20-2003, 07:24 AM
'E'

5 speed conversion update

Hey all

Just thought I'd give everyone an update on my 5 speed conversion, so far the 5 speed is in, the gear linkages have been lengthened and I'm in the process of modifying and making all the other bits and pieces when I can find the time.

Hope to have it finished before the end of December.

'E'
Old 11-20-2003, 02:56 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Jamsvx Send a message via Yahoo to Jamsvx
Re: 5 speed conversion update

Quote:
Originally posted by 'E'
Hey all

Just thought I'd give everyone an update on my 5 speed conversion, so far the 5 speed is in, the gear linkages have been lengthened and I'm in the process of modifying and making all the other bits and pieces when I can find the time.

Hope to have it finished before the end of December.

'E'
That is incredible...the first 5 speed SVX in the country!!

Sounds like a perfect excuse for a bunch of SVX'ers to drive down and pay homage!!

27 August 2002 to 27 January 2004 - she will be missed

Was back in Sydney for a while but not hot enough so now in Dubai! Has it been that long since I owned SVX-33H!
Old 11-26-2003, 05:49 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Good luck with your conversion! I'm still in the process of converting mine but can't afford to spend much time on it right now to finish it.
Old 11-27-2003, 05:12 AM
'E'

Thanks David

I'm getting closer, I had the drive shaft lengthened with replaceable uni joints fitted, at $724 au this is one of the most expensive mods second only to the gear box, but it will be worth it.

'E'
Old 11-27-2003, 04:45 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Wow, pricey.

We are just getting an extension machined to fit between the driveshaft and the rear differential. Then we mount the carrier bearing 2" forward.

Total cost: free + time. (it's good to have connections)
Old 11-27-2003, 04:54 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
thats exciting. I had wondered why any other country had not tackled this. especially Aussies. They seem to be more inclined at Cars then most coutries, and they have all the coolest cars( i LOVE the holdens.
BTW i may be comign to Australia next year for vacation, so you guys will have to allow me to visit!
phil
Old 11-27-2003, 06:54 PM
'E'

I was going to have an extension machined but decided to try and keep everything looking very factory, I've now also got the benefit of replaceable uni joints, both of the uni joints on the drive shaft were stuffed so I would have been up $$$ replacing the shaft.

Unfortunately there are only 250 SVX's in the land of OZ so they tend to a bit rare and were pricey, so most people have no idea what they are or even that they exsist, people always think its a new model or an grey import.

'E'
Old 11-28-2003, 12:53 AM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by 'E'
or an grey import.

'E'
the two words "grey import" make me so incredibly jelous....they are so strict here on everything we dont get any of the fun stuff
phil
Old 11-28-2003, 07:18 AM
Yeah, I'm still around

Quote:
Originally posted by 'E'
Thanks David

I'm getting closer, I had the drive shaft lengthened with replaceable uni joints fitted, at $724 au this is one of the most expensive mods second only to the gear box, but it will be worth it.

'E'
Mine's being lengthened next week. Re-using the original carrier (center) bearing and DOJ. Lengthening the front section. New u-joints front and rear for $200 USD. A version like the one you describe from the same shop would have run me about $600 USD. All new construction (tubes, joints, carrier bearing, balancing). More than I need to spend right now.

Todd
Old 11-29-2003, 05:14 AM
'E'

what did you end up doing with front mounting points for the gear box?

'E'
Old 11-29-2003, 03:34 PM
Meow!

My dad's doing something different. He's welding 2 "L" shaped brackets together with one side mounting to the front tranny crossmember and the other side to the bracket that reinforces the suspension to the body.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: