How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-12-2003, 10:51 AM
afsquid

?'s

My '92 has been running perfectly over the last four year I've owned it but over the last few months there's been some burning questions I've thought of to ask the experts here.

Is it normal for the SVX to use power steering fluid and me having to fill it occassionally. And use Dexron III ATF right?

When it's cold out there's a whining noise when I turn left or right which I think I can relate to the power steering fluid being low??????

What's the best way to troubleshoot the rear defogger, it doesn't work but the light comes on?

Why does my heat (on econ.) automatically go from top vents to floor vents, why can't you control that?

Except for my drivers side visor hanging a little, my sunroof needing a pushing assist, and my dead trunk struts, the car is awesome but I need a 120K tune up very soon including a timing belt change.

afsquid
grn '92
Old 11-12-2003, 12:32 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Squiddy,

I think you have the common power steering reservoir o-ring problem. THere's a little rubber o-ring between the power steering reservoir and the pump. My car did exactly the same yours did - when it got colder out, the turning could make the belt squeal on the PS pump.

The o-ring is very inexpensive - I think I got mine from the dealer for a couple dollars. It's very easy to replace, but if you really want you can have a shop do it. Really, it's a 15min repair. We have directions in the 'how to' personal locker on this site.

Fixing this problem will stop the belt squeal and likely stop the luid loss - but that second problem may be due to a leaking hose. If you're not comfortable checking the hoses yourself, have a shop do it. You don't want to suddenly lose power steering on an SVX - trust me. The car becomes nearly uncontrollable without power steering.

I don't know if the rear defogger has a fuse or relay all to itself, but I would look into it. Check both the fuse panel under the hood and the one in the driver's footwell.

The heat on Subaru cars only comes out of the floor vents. I have three Subarus, I've owned a total of five, and they've all done this - even my Justy. The popular explanation is that the hot, dry air blowing on your face can get uncomfortable and Subaru went out of their way to prevent that from happening.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 11-12-2003, 04:59 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
The heat on Subaru cars only comes out of the floor vents. I have three Subarus, I've owned a total of five, and they've all done this - even my Justy. The popular explanation is that the hot, dry air blowing on your face can get uncomfortable and Subaru went out of their way to prevent that from happening.
Not counting defrost of course

I can get heat out of the vents on my Justy though. The problem is hot air blowing on your face/eyes will make you drowsy.
Old 11-12-2003, 07:35 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Exclamation

I've never known a properly functioning climate control system in ANY vehicle to blow heated air from the dash vents. Defroster, sure; but not directly into the face.

Ron(hot air expert).

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 11-12-2003, 10:30 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
It's true that auto climate control systems will not blow hot air into your face but manual ones will. Just set it on vent and turn up the heat.

That's the only way I can clear the side windows on my Justy.
Old 11-13-2003, 08:39 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Earthworm
It's true that auto climate control systems will not blow hot air into your face but manual ones will. Just set it on vent and turn up the heat.

That's the only way I can clear the side windows on my Justy.
Yeah that occured to me. And, actually, I drove my wife's Legacy last night and it doesn't have a 'heat' vent setting - just buttons for which vents you want the air coming out of.

My Justy's heat is working so much better since I fixed it last Spring. I haven't been able to test it since then, but it's gotten pretty cold here (low 30s) and it has worked very well. Go cardboard!

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 11-13-2003, 08:48 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Wiz Send a message via AIM to Wiz Send a message via Yahoo to Wiz
Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Mummert
I've never known a properly functioning climate control system in ANY vehicle to blow heated air from the dash vents. Defroster, sure; but not directly into the face.

Ron(hot air expert).
My old car, a Volvo 240DL would blow hot air out of the dash vents. So does my mom's Subaru Legacy L. It got annoying in both cars.