Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-10-2003, 01:58 AM
quiquetupper

Duty Solenoids?

To Whom may help me.
I am going to try to be brief,I have a 92 LS-L,I bought it with a cracked transmission,so after some months of search i found one from a wrecked 94 SVX,The mechanic who installed it inmediately told me the 1-2 shift is getting it at high RPM,sometimes it shifted at 3k and sometimes at 4k or 4.5k,depending on the type of aceleration applied..Thinking the shifting could be corrected,I install the shift kit from small car but nothing happened.Notwhithstanding I went on vacation driving my car from Oregon to Los Angeles to Las Vegas to San Francisco to Stockton and back to Oregon,3000 miles in 14 days,with 2 more people on board and a lot of baggage.You won't believe it,I controlled the miles/gallon rate including city drive and it gave me an awesome 26 miles per galon,fantastic car,fast, tough,confortable,during the trip I learned that from 1-2 I had to let off the foot from the acelerator at 3k RPM and I will shift to 2,well that is what I thought,but last week I took my car to a well reputed transmissiom shop and the expert there test drove it and he told me the car was not shifting to 2,it was skipping it amd instead was shifting to 3.He told me he needed to make more test like computer and vacuum lines so I have an appointment next Thursday 13.But before going there I wanted to have a second opinion and I took it to a mechanic shop close to my work and the guy there went to his PC and printed some sheets from Alldata and gave them to me.Then he made the self diagnosis test the same is shown in this network and the same he printed from that website and he said the blinking power light is showing me code 14,that is shift solenoid 14,well I bought the whole pack of solenoids 4 in total they are sold as a package,I did not buy it from Subaru,they wanted $357 for that,I bought it from an aftermarket warehouse for much less than that.Before installing them I wanted to make sure that he was right and I myself diagnosed the car twice,but to me is showing me Code 11,one long blink amd one short or fast blink,sometimes I see the second blink as double,but I am sure is code 11,that is Duty solenoid A,line pressure,I think is included in the solenoid pack I bought.I just want to check with you,Some people have told me that perhaps is the brake band or band brake too looseI know there are some experts in transmissions on this network or somebody who unfortunately has had if not the same a similar problem like mine.
Hoping you can give me some advice Thank you very much.
Old 11-10-2003, 03:50 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
I think you should get the band adjusted first. It probably needs doing anyway.

There are more that 4 solenoids,
A, line pressure.
B, torque converter lockup.
C, AWD clutch.
Two shift solenoids.
One over run solenoid.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 11-10-2003, 04:39 PM

Code for duty solenoid A is more often than not caused not by the solenoid itself, but a dropping resistor behind the battery or by wiring. Remove the battery, check the resistor mounted on the wall behind it - if you can, measure resistance. Remove and reinstall connectors on the resistor - may help the connections.

The solenoid A would not cause a skip from 1st to 3rd gear.
A shift solenoid or a worn brake band could do it.
However, the gears go in pairs - if you do not have 2nd, you will not have 4th, because the same brake band and same shift solenoid are applied in both 2nd and 4th.

What is your RPM like when cruising at 70mph and fully warmed up after 15-20 minutes of driving? It should be 2200-2300 rpm if you have 4th and torque converter is locked up.