Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-08-2003, 06:58 PM
How fast is fast?

Send a message via AIM to Bxsvx
Unhappy Timing idler broke off!!!

Hey everyone wassup? This is my first time posting to the site. I search the threads everyday just to find new information. But today I am posting because I just couldnt find the exact information I needed. Ok lets see how the problem started, well I bought a 94 ls barcelona svx. It was in great shape only 44 thousand miles(right now it has 52xxx had it since january). It was from my girlfriends uncle, he was leaving the country for good So I grabbed on the deal(4k). So when I got it I right away changed the belts.my rachet got to friendly with the tension adjust screw of the alt, and ps belt. soon after I did a burnout trying to impress some people and my woodruff key broke. I then put a new belt(incl. timing belt) and a new crankshaft sprocket and a Perrin lightweight pulley. I new something was wrong with the car it was a little rough, while idling. So everytime I would jam on the gas I would feel like a thump between rpms when hitting overdrive it wasnt like a continuous jump to redline, it was a little blank spot in the 4-5k rpm range. So I knew My timing was a little off, but I never got to change it. so yesterday im driving and I hit overdrive again, the power light comes on and I feel the thump so i thought ok same thing like everday, but I was wrong. My timing belt popped right off and the left upper idler broke right off. I couldnt beleive it, my woodruff key and now a bolt which holds the tensioner. I do the diagnoses and guess what the bolt is stuck in the block and the other half is with the idler. So I examine some more and I see that everything is rotating fine, waterpump and all the idlers, but there is a a hairline crack and that the first like 2-3 threads of the block are shotlike someone yanked the blot upwards, its not a hole any more its missing pieces of the block.But I tried putting the other half of the bolt and it screwed right in, but it doesnt look safe to me. So I dont know what should I do? I keep examining and think I could just drill out the other half of the bolt. But what then? the outer part of the hole isnt round its like all out of shape. Do I need a new block? Can I just drill the other half of the bolt buy a new bolt and thats it drive it forever? oh one more thing I think I overtightened the crankshaft pulley, it started to eat the sidings of the timing belt which I think brought alot of force and torque to that single bolt to snap it in two. Any help would be EXTREMELY appreciated. If its the engine then I have to put the car to the side for about a year and borrow my friends car until I can manage to get it fixed. But I pray its not. I'm going to upload pics tonight so everyone can see the exact situation im in. Thank you everyone for your time.

Omar