Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-13-2003, 10:15 AM

Send a message via AIM to zavikan
$$$ + time talk for tranny to 5 speed replacement.

Tranny is on the go, it will slip every once and a while from 2nd to 3rd, and thuds (at times pretty damned hard) into reverse sometimes as well. I intend to baby it as long as I can, getting some money saved up for a new one..But when the day finally comes that it just can not do more, What are we talking here to get it replaced? I cant do the work myself, I just don't have the experience/guts to do it. All different kinds of estimates would be appreciated..So labor costs would need to be figured in as well.

lightly used tranny(less then 40k)+labor $$
new tranny + labor $$
five speed conversion labor(minus the parts) $$

Also anyone who knows someone experienced in DOING this in NH, Vermont, Maine or Mass...thier name/number/website would be appreciated as well....I live in the boonies, and no one has subaru around here. I can drop this car off anywhere in these states for how ever long it takes.

This car is way out of my league in maintanence costs alone..so I REALLY need to weigh costs against results. I REALLY REALLY want the 5 speed convo, but can I afford it?
Old 10-13-2003, 12:08 PM

Small car preformance has a 5 spd kit for about $3000 US, and they sell the kit installed for $4000. I am doing a 5spd swap, but with a cable operated trannie, so fare I spent about $800 dollors for all the parts I will hope fully need for it. That includes $350 upgraded clutch up to 330 foot pounds of tork, the 5spd kit for doing it your self $300, and $150 for the trannie, rear end, pedal assembley, fly wheel, starter, and some other smalle stuff.
Old 10-24-2003, 04:31 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
If it's just the 2-3 shift slipping then try loosening the band brake a couple turns and that could help clear that up a bit and give you some more life from your dying tranny.

Once you've done it a couple times you should be able to do an adjustment in about 15 mins.