Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 10-17-2003, 12:23 PM
likethecube

Help with Baby Seat for SVX

Hello,

A new addition to the family will be along soon. This is our first child. Our 2 vehicles are a 92 SVX and and 88 XT6. Both have rather small back seats. Does anyone know if there is a childseat that was made specifically for the SVX? and can anyone recommend one to use that might fit into the back seat?. Also are there any special clamps or locking mechanisms required? Any help or comments will be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-17-2003, 12:50 PM
deadeye95

In the deep recesses of my mind I believe that my SVX came with a small seatbelt clip to help facilitate baby seats. Its been just about 10 years since then so I guess most baby seats probably come with an equivalent now.

I've looked for this thing before without any luck. No mention of the "clip" is in the owner's manual for baby seat installation. I'll look again.
Old 10-17-2003, 02:44 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Stevebsy Send a message via Yahoo to Stevebsy
Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Thumbs up No problem

The clip often comes with any child seat you'll buy, if you don't still have yours. You'll need one for most any seat you wind up with.

The SVX is ahead of its time, as usual, by having tether anchor points in the rear headrests. This will be useful when the seat is forward facing.

I've put a few different seats in my SVX, and it worked out just fine. It's not the easiest car you'll ever load a kid into, but it's certainly doable.

My suggestion, put the kid on the passenger side, that way you can move the seat forward to acommodate the childseat if necessary. Some towels, etc.. may be needed to level out the rear seat bucket, but it'll work. Here's a pic of my then 5 month old in a rear facing seat in the seat of the SVX.

http://www.subarusvx.com/images/carp...nterior075.jpg

Custom Oil Caps, Battery Bars, Phenolic Spacers for sale here:
http://www.x35design.com
Old 10-17-2003, 06:39 PM
Recluse

Send a message via MSN to Darksied-X Send a message via Yahoo to Darksied-X
Like Stevebsy said, you need the clip. It's the absolute most important piece, because the seat will not be secure with out it. If you don't have/can't find the one that came with your seat, you can by one at Mall-Mart for like $4-5. And the tether he refered to can only be used in conjunction with the seat belts.

As far as getting the kid in, it's a hassle, but no where near as difficult as actually getting the seat in. My method was to install the seat without the clip, cinch up the seat belt as tight as you can, remove the car seat while keeping the belt buckle in exact same position, then install the clip right next to the seat belt buckle. If you need more help, I can take some pictures of my two full size seats in the car for you.

'03 WRX Wagon, World Rally Blue
'94 SVX LSi, Barcelona Red
'89 XT6 4WD, Grey & Rust
(and legally, an '01 Outback VDC skankmobile)
Old 10-17-2003, 06:51 PM
Pearlywhites1992

A new addition to the family will be along soon.

The best way is to have a professional do it No kidding! Our local fire dept. has days where you're welcome to stop by, or you can make an appt. They put them in TIGHT!, which is what's most important. My 3 yr. old makes me take certain exit ramps at speed, as he exclaims, "Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!"
Congrats BTW!
Tim
Old 10-17-2003, 10:24 PM
deadeye95

Quote:
Here's a pic of my then 5 month old in a rear facing seat in the seat of the SVX.

So much for you rich guys with the leather interior and 4WD pampering your kids. My seat during my younger days was laying on the shelf under the back window of my parents '65 Plymouth Fury III.