Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > European Forum

Old 07-08-2003, 03:47 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Me2

James

I still want 96-97 full copy.

If it takes 8 weeks to ship from Japan, no chance of being in the UK at this point for distribution to the Meet members.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 07-08-2003, 04:53 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Speeding Tickets...Bygone Days

Speaking about 20 speedinging tickets in one day, let me relate a story that actually happened. In 1967, I left NYC where I was born & raised, and went to work for the Vertol Div. (helicopter) of Boeing Aircraft located in Ridley Township, PA. There I met many young engineers like myself. One of them was from Queens, NY. His name was Tom S. and he had a 1967 '427' Vette; colored "ticket me red." My car was a 1967 red SAAB Monte Carlo V-4 with the Stage II tune kit. At Boeing everything was based on tenths. Lunchtime was 7/10's of an hour or 42 minutes. Our Standard working hours were 8:00 AM until 4:42 PM. When we would scramble out of Boeing's parking lot after work we called it "The 442 Grand Prix."

Every Friday both Tom and I would drive up to NYC for the weekend. He would go to queens in the Vette and I would go to Manhattan in the SAAB. He was going steady and I was engaged to the Beautiful Naviguesser. We would generally come back to PA on Sunday night.

One Friday we both shot out of the Boing parking lot (at that time Boeing had 13,500 workers at that facility). Tom beat me out by 3 car lengths. We shot up rte 291 (Industrial Highway) toward Philly airport and the infamous "Airport Traffic Circle." I used to dart in and out of lanes in traffic just like VW bug drivers. I passed Tom just below the Philly Airport. and kept him at bay over the Penrose Bridge (now Platt Bridge). He passed me going over the Walt Whitman Bridge to New Jersey. We would go over the WW Bridge get on route 168 (Black Horse Pike) and head for Exit 3 of the NJ Turnpike in Bellmawr, NJ. I got on the Turnpike figuring Tom was long gone. I passed him about Exit 4 getting his first ticket. I honked the horn and waved. The tropper scowled at me. Tom rocketed past me around Exit 6. I thought that I wouldn't see him until Monday at work. I passed him about exit 9 getting his second ticket. I honked and waved again. He gave me the finger. The tropper did not look pleased. Tom shot past me about exit 11. He honked, grinned and gave me the finger again. I did not see him again until Monday at workwhere he related the following events. He would get off the NJ T'pke and go over the Verazanno Bridge. I would continue up the Turnpike to Exit 16 for the Lincoln Tunnel. He got his third speeding ticket on the expressway across Staten Island leading to the Verazanno Bridge. He got his fourth speeding ticket on Sunday night on the Verazanno Bridge going back to PA. It seems that you're not allowed to do 75 mph on the Verazanno Bridge. All of us young engineers chipped in and provided food & gas money for Tom for the next couple of months so he could pay off the tickets. Back then we were all single, had a lot of money, and gas was cheap. Ah the good old days. I never got more than one speeding ticket per weekend on the Turnpike but I got 4 in a month.

I remember Rosie & I double dating up with Tom & Alice one Saturday night. It wound up in a drag race between his Vette & my SAAB on Queens Blvd. But that's the subject of another post.
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!

Last edited by LarryIII; 07-08-2003 at 04:56 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: