Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 05-27-2003, 05:58 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
drove a near new WRX wagon...

No offense to those who have WRXes, but I was not impressed. Turbo lag is substantial, and even when the turbo does spool up, the car does not feel like it can do 0-60 in 5.8 seconds. And the motor is not nearly as smooth as our 6 cylinder SVX motors. Handling is good, but I don't think its any better than my SVX. In fact, I'd say it doesn't handle as well. That might be in part because of the 17" rims and stiffer springs on my SVX though.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 05-27-2003, 06:01 PM
EverclearAtMSU

i'll agree w/ you on that one. the stock wrx isn't much. a few of my friends have them. a little money in mods however, and it's a sweet car. and the STI, just nuts. we ran into one they were testing, flagged the guy down, and got a ride. yeah, i'ts nice
Old 05-27-2003, 06:12 PM
Headed to Texas...

Re: drove a near new WRX wagon...

Quote:
Originally posted by mbtoloczko
No offense to those who have WRXes, but I was not impressed. Turbo lag is substantial, and even when the turbo does spool up, the car does not feel like it can do 0-60 in 5.8 seconds. And the motor is not nearly as smooth as our 6 cylinder SVX motors. Handling is good, but I don't think its any better than my SVX. In fact, I'd say it doesn't handle as well. That might be in part because of the 17" rims and stiffer springs on my SVX though.
*shrugs*

Having "lived" with both, they are clearly two different animals. I really can't disagree with any of your points, except to say I love each car! But you know, kind of like comparing apples to oranges.

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 05-27-2003, 06:27 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Re: Re: drove a near new WRX wagon...

Quote:
Originally posted by svxxx26

*shrugs*

Having "lived" with both, they are clearly two different animals. I really can't disagree with any of your points, except to say I love each car! But you know, kind of like comparing apples to oranges.
I don't think its that much of an apples/oranges comparison. Both cars are meant to handle day-to-day duties as well as sport driving duties. They do have their niches though. The SVX is definitely more at home on the highway, and I can see that the WRX might be a better around-town car. But beyond that, I was just surprised at the mild performance of the WRX. Its been so heavily hyped.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 05-27-2003, 06:27 PM
alacrity024

WRX is a pretty cool car, but all three times i've driven the piss out of one, i've been happy to get back into my svx..

-adam
Old 05-27-2003, 06:37 PM
Headed to Texas...

Re: Re: Re: drove a near new WRX wagon...

Quote:
Originally posted by mbtoloczko

But beyond that, I was just surprised at the mild performance of the WRX.

Doesn't take much to entertain me!

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 05-27-2003, 06:47 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Send a message via Yahoo to SVXphile
WRXcess

<Doesn't take much to entertain me! >

Don't worry Jerry.

I'll drive up your way some weekend, and let you blow the doors off my SVT Focus.

You'll feel a lot better.

Don
1 wife ("She, who must be obeyed..")

"One advantage of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries"
Old 05-27-2003, 06:52 PM
Headed to Texas...

Re: WRXcess

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXphile
<Doesn't take much to entertain me! >

Don't worry Jerry.

I'll drive up your way some weekend, and let you blow the doors off my SVT Focus.

You'll feel a lot better.

Don
Hey Don......you're always welcome here at the Subaru Ranch!

(even if you are driving a F O R D )

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 05-27-2003, 07:03 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Send a message via Yahoo to SVXphile
Unhappy Yeah, I know....

SVT did the engine, tranny, suspension, wheels, brakes, interior (with SVT gauges), exterior mods....

....all the rest is regular Focus.

Don
1 wife ("She, who must be obeyed..")

"One advantage of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries"

Last edited by SVXphile; 05-27-2003 at 07:08 PM.
Old 05-27-2003, 07:19 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
Now that I think about it I didnt really enjoy driving the WRX as much as my SVX> My two rear Bostons blew the entire "WRX Premium audio system" away. It lacked a lot of low end grunt and you had to push the gas harder to spool the turbo otherwise you have no power. But the turboguage was fun to watch
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 05-27-2003, 07:35 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to newsvx
Registered SVX
Hey, Guys.

Jerry is correct. This IS like comparing oranges and apples. The WRX is NOT that comfortable a road car, but it DOES handle much better than the SVX (the weight and power to weight ratio is the major factor). At autocross, one of the stock WRX's regularly runs the course a full second faster than me in the SVX. That's the reason that under SCCA rules and classification, the WRX is in D Stock and the SVX is in G Stock. Interestingly, the WRX (when it first came out) was placed mistakenly in G Stock with the SVX. It did not take the SCCA long to figure out that they made a big mistake - an almost 2 second difference in 0 - 60 mph times should have been an indicator, but .... BTW, D Stock is higher by two classes than the "regular" V8 Mustangs and Firebirds run, which is F Stock.

And to attest to the potential of the WRX (to tuning), this same WRX that we run with has now tweaked the engine a bit (also moved him to "Street Prepared" class) with a new chip and runs 13.5 lb of tubo pressure. The guy FLIES! In fact, the Mustang Cobra SVT and this WRX vie for Fastest Time of the Day (FTD) at every autocross now.

So different cars for totally different roles. But would I like to have a WRX? You bet I would, but I would not trade my SVX for it
Harry
1992 SVX LSL, #1215
1997 SVX LSi, #370
"I live with fear every day. Sometimes she lets me go racing."
"Getting Older and Slower"
Locker: http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?newsvx
Old 05-27-2003, 07:59 PM
Hater

i dunno what you drove, but our WRX is a freakin' rocket! the only mods i have are an AEM cold air intake, ground mod and the "3/16 mod". i will say, though, that the computer will adapt to driving style. after my wife drives it a while, i'll need to "wring it out" a little, and then its back to being a snarling little beastie. slight bit of lag, but then the acceleration is exponential!!! was the wagon you drove broken in correctly? ours just gets better and better as the miles add up. its damn close to being as quick as my 360hp 928 was. get a second opinion - drive another one.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 05-27-2003, 09:15 PM
^ has Subaru issues

Send a message via AIM to Kurt_W
I personally don't think comparing a stock SVX to a stock WRX is a good comparison (as some others have mentioned.)

After driving my WRX for about 3 weeks and then getting back into the SVX, I found that I was rather happy to go back to the WRX. The WRX's seating position is better then the SVX and I think the seats are more comfortable as well. The extra headroom in the WRX lends a lot to the comfort IMO (I'm 6'2" and find the SVX a little tight on headroom.)

As for handling, I feel the WRX handles better. I would be even better if it had some good grippy tires on it. If my SVX had stiffer springs and new struts it would handle better, but you still can’t make the 500 pound difference in weight disappear. I do however think that putting a 5 speed into the SVX would go a long ways toward making it handle more on par with the WRX.

As for acceleration, yeah, the lag on the WRX is noticeable, but once it gets beyond about 3000 rpm it fades off rather quickly. Once you reach 4000 rpm the car feels like a much lighter car. I feel that my WRX wagon feels about like my old Civic and CRX Si’s did when its at 4000+ rpm; in other words, it feels light and nimble, and for a 3165 pound car, I find that very impressive. Again, put a 5 speed in the SVX and compare…

By the way, I’m partially bias toward Impreza’s, as I had a 95 LX prior to the SVX. Even after I bought the SVX I continued to drive the Impreza on a daily basis. I felt it handled better due to the considerable lesser weight and it was more comfortable then the SVX (see ‘headroom’.) I considered trading my SVX in on the WRX but couldn’t bring myself to do it because I like the SVX more then the LX, despite the fact I drove the LX more. I am however inclined to say that I like the WRX more then the SVX at this point but I like the SVX enough to keep it. I think I will like the SVX a lot more once I get around to cramming a 5 speed into it.
'91 Miata - a lot-o-miles
'88 CRX Si/B16 not-so-SiR
'73 Datsun 240Z
Old 05-28-2003, 06:52 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Having never really driven one before I can't really vouch for how they drive.. But I did go to the dragon this year in Fontana Village, NC... I got launched up and down the mountians on WRX's that were stock, barely modded and heavely modded.... What a blast!!!! The car feels so neutral when ya get it into a 4 wheel drift!!!! It is amazing!!! Sure the american WRX only has about 227 hp stock..... But my dad's 1998 Version 5 WRX peobably has over 260hp, stock!!!! That little beast flies!!!!! What a thrill!!! I will agree though that the Turbo takes a long time to spool up though... Ya know why... Because there is a CAT right infront of the turbo!!!! That's really restrictive!!!! Get a full 3" exhaust on it and you can expect to gain a good 30+ hp just from that!!!! Then it spools up really fast!!!! WRX owners.... Did ya do the little MOD that allows ya to get the full 14psi in first gear???? Ya know that stock your engine is limited to only 8psi in first right??? amazing gow much faster the car is with that... Spools up even quickerr with this mod too!!! Want to know how??? PM me

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 05-28-2003, 07:13 AM
alacrity024

Quote:
Originally posted by GreenMarineSVX
Ya know that stock your engine is limited to only 8psi in first right??? amazing gow much faster the car is with that... Spools up even quickerr with this mod too!!! Want to know how??? PM me
is it by any chance the "Wastegate Removal" mod?

-adam