Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2004, 10:07 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
Exclamation Just installed smallcar shift kit....

Alright, I just finished installing the shift kit... No error codes, so that's good. Anyway, before I give my opinion, we all need to remember my car has been sitting for 2 days, due to me waiting for rear pads to come in. Anyway, I only drove it down the block then came back, since my FRONT brakes are brand new, and I want to break them in properly... so I don't want to go anywhere or do any conclusive tests until I have those pads installed, brakes bled, and broken in. Anyway, I started the car... like I said, no error codes... so I shift into reverse... CLUNK. WTF was that? It was the normal 'changing gear' sound, only a LOT louder, and you could feel it in the whole car.... so I shift back to park. Try again, reverse, CLUNK. Again, it's the NORMAL noise (my tranny is fine), but it's a LOT louder, and accompanied by quite a bit of a jolt to the whole car.

So I back out of the driveway, then put it in forward. CLUNK. Again, same noise, really loud. Drive.... shift.. well... it definitely feels a LOT harder.... but... I'm not sure I'd like that for daily driving.

Anyway... so far I'm not impressed at all... it takes away a LOT of 'refinement' and 'integrity' from the car.... but maybe it'll be better once I adjust it. I'll post a follow up on Sat or sunday.

- Rob
Old 04-06-2004, 10:17 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

I'd be interested in hearing your follow-up over the weekend Rob. The Small Car Shift Kit and Oil Cooler are some of my first planned mods as I'd want to try and extend the life of my 4EAT for as long as possible before doing the 5spd swap.

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 04-06-2004, 11:48 PM
Who watches the watchmen?

When I installed mine, it did that. Then I figured out I had installed it wrong! Each end of the cut wire goes to the outside prongs of the shift kit. I had mine connected to the two prongs that make the kit look like you could plug it into and electrical outlet. Check to make sure you have it connected to the right prongs.

If it is still shifts too hard, you can adjust the shift speed by adjusting the screw where the vacuum hose gets attached. You will need an allen wrench (I can't remember wat size, but it's a small one).

Matt
Old 04-07-2004, 03:16 AM
The Molinator

Shift - E

Sounds like you may have hooked it to the wrong terminals as Matt suggested. If so, it would be like just unhooking the stock resistor (some of us have done this to stiffen shift quality). Check out my locker photo on the smallcar shift kit to see for sure if you connected the right terminals. This is a great mod (my personal favorite) when hooked up correctly, especially if you've been getting slow, indefinite shifts from 2nd to 3rd!

GOOD LUCK!

P.S. The two terminals that have the diode soldered to them are the ones to connect to (as in my locker photo).
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!

Last edited by James Scott; 04-07-2004 at 03:27 AM.
Old 04-07-2004, 10:25 AM
Anti-BS Vigilante

DOH! Okay, I hooked them up wrong.

No offense, but hte instructions online really freakin' suck.

- Rob
Old 04-07-2004, 10:37 AM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Chicane
DOH! Okay, I hooked them up wrong.

- Rob
Ya, especially if you dont follow them
jk rob.
phil
Old 04-07-2004, 10:50 AM
not just a fan, a Member!

hehe good to know we got someone in madison with that kit installed..... now i know where to turn for help when i get around to installing mine.... =)
mrspyder: gotta have a drop top in cali...

always looking for a reliable 5spd svx...
Old 04-07-2004, 11:56 AM
Who watches the watchmen?

The instructions do suck. I even had to add my own resistor as I had one of the "old" models.

If anyone going to Reno in a couple of months wants some help installing one, I'll be happy to help. Just check to make sure your insurnace covers explosions.

Matt
Old 04-07-2004, 03:01 PM
tancred

I tightened mine as much as possible, I THINK SHE LIKES IT ROUGH. It shifts so hard you dont feel it, unless your going slow, it'll go from a stop and if i dont get on it, the whole car is like KABLAM SHIFT! Its cool, mine's in right.....When im romping on it, it THROWS AND I MEAN THROWS you into the next gear, i think its rather fun.....
Old 04-07-2004, 03:58 PM
Hater

Quote:
a picture would be better, but the instructions explain exactly what to do.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 04-07-2004, 08:07 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Quote:
Originally posted by Landshark
I COMPLETELY disagree with you. To quote the instructions: "Plug these connectors into the two outer lugs on the switch provided in the kit. The center terminal is not used."

Outer lugs?!? I was assuming since there are three prongs on the switch, and they were referring to 'THE two outer lugs (wtf is a lug?)', that they meant a group of TWO... meaning the two next to each other.

The instructions are horrid.

- Rob
Old 04-07-2004, 08:13 PM
The Molinator

SWITCH this!

The Instructions Suck, PERIOD!
Look at my locker photo (if you have 20 minutes for it to load!) or someone's diagragm or photo!
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!
Old 04-08-2004, 10:55 AM
tancred

Quote:
Originally posted by Landshark

I guess we're the only ones who can envision the end result, it took me about a minute of thinking on the part when it said, "So that the unit is in serial with the wire or something, and I thought, now wtf is it talking about. But then i had a oh, i see, and life went on, and install went smoothly.

Old 04-08-2004, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
I installed the Smallcar shift kit yesterday and can confirm that it works extremely well. Normal acceleration is exactly as stock, but in spirited acceleration the shifts are firm and quick (sort of a soft abrupt change) not the slow lingering slide into the next gear.

Installation was fairly straightforward. My only modifications were to the bracket. I lengthened the slot at the base of the bracket about 1/2" and drilled a hole further up the bracket. The slot slides over the bolt that holds the bottom of the resistor to the fender and the hole allows the screw that holds the top of the resistor to pass through. This mod allows the top of the switch to be aligned with the top of the battery instead of protruding up too high. I had to lengthen the wires that I cut by about 6" for them to reach.

It doesn't even look like its an add-on item. The vacuum line runs under the fuse box cover and under the throttle body cover to where it attaches to the manifold vacuum line.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 04-08-2004, 05:39 PM
Hater

Quote:
I COMPLETELY disagree with you. To quote the instructions: "Plug these connectors into the two outer lugs on the switch provided in the kit. The center terminal is not used."

Outer lugs?!? I was assuming since there are three prongs on the switch, and they were referring to 'THE two outer lugs (wtf is a lug?)', that they meant a group of TWO... meaning the two next to each other.

The instructions are horrid.

- Rob
switch has 3 lugs. the center terminal is not used. plug connectors to the outer two. what is so hard about that? trade in your Mac for a Commodore.

Quote:
Originally posted by tancred
I guess we're the only ones who can envision the end result, it took me about a minute of thinking on the part when it said, "So that the unit is in serial with the wire or something, and I thought, now wtf is it talking about. But then i had a oh, i see, and life went on, and install went smoothly
that's the only part where i had a bit of confusion, but after re-reading the instructions and thinking about what was going on (the switch is series with the resistor, altering the effect of the resistor), it made sense as it was written.

1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)