Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Proven Engine Enhancements
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2005, 02:10 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbtoloczko
I was hoping you'd say that. I didn't feel like pulling my engine.

Well I just finished the install... All I can say is that my $350 was the most well spent money I have ever spent... I also got the chance to install the stage2v5 which kicks just as much butt... Never before have I felt the car pull in the 6k+ rpms like that... it is just a monster. I love it but going from the 6mt to the 5mt is like learning to drive the car all over again

Tom
Old 11-24-2005, 10:03 PM
Parts Breaker, Tire Waster

Send a message via AIM to hexadec0079
Speaking of the intake restrictions. Call me crazy, but has anyone turned the intake manifold 180 degrees and use a short ram to infront of the grill like Camaros wouldn't that work and make more room in the bay.
Old 11-24-2005, 10:39 PM
Maniac modifier

if u can weld aluminum very well... feel free... The intake is taller in the rear so turning it around would keep you from closing the hood... Plus it is not worth the R&D when u can make an effective ram air like SVXride has with less cost and less distruction

Tom
Old 11-24-2005, 10:42 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
if u can weld aluminum very well... feel free... The intake is taller in the rear so turning it around would keep you from closing the hood... Plus it is not worth the R&D when u can make an effective ram air like SVXride has with less cost and less distruction

Tom
Agreed. SVXRide's ram air is easily the best I've seen on any SVX to date!

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 11-24-2005, 11:20 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiketkd
Agreed. SVXRide's ram air is easily the best I've seen on any SVX to date!

-Chike

-Bill (thinking that his parents must be proud that the money spent on his engineering degree has been put to good use )

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 11-26-2005, 01:06 PM
Maniac modifier

Well it is official. The stage 3 cams do actually add a great amount of power along side the Ecutune stage 2v5. They consistantly dropped my 1/4mile et by .3 or more seconds and raised my traps from 91.5 to 96.2 Now if I had a clutch to handle that power and tires that would get soem grip All wheel burnouts on VHT is rediculous

Tom
Old 11-26-2005, 02:46 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Well it is official. The stage 3 cams do actually add a great amount of power along side the Ecutune stage 2v5. They consistantly dropped my 1/4mile et by .3 or more seconds and raised my traps from 91.5 to 96.2 Now if I had a clutch to handle that power and tires that would get soem grip All wheel burnouts on VHT is rediculous

Tom
Tom,
yeah, when I raced this time last year (with my car in FWD mode due to a bad Solenoid C) I ended up with melted tire all over my passenger's side front tire - resulted in great trap speeds and ETs that just confirmed the lack of traction. What was the air temp and humidity?
-Bill
p.s. VHT basically doesn't work below 40 degrees

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 11-26-2005, 03:32 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Tom:
Congratulations. That is fantastic for a first effort. Your SVX is finally becoming what the car should have been all along, if only Subaru had the vision to make it that way. Just wanted to verify my spot in the cam queue. Can't wait. You have a PM.

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

2017 Subaru Forester XT, metallic dark gray, 29,xxx

2005 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio, 24,xxx

2006 Subaru Outback LL Bean, 166,xxx sold

92 LSL Dark Teal, Smallcar Shift Kit - sold
Old 11-26-2005, 04:07 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Thumbs up

Quote:

Tom
Great job Tom! You hit the 96mph trap speed SVXRide predicted...

I just spoke with Svxfiles and he's not sure if he and Bill can make it to Capitol tomorrow. My t/c seal is still leaking atf and I'm not sure if I'll be able to get any runs in. As no one else looks to be going, I may just cancel the meet.

I'll see though. Would be nice to get an auto 1/4 mile run on the cams to compare to your 5spd.

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 11-26-2005, 07:21 PM
Maniac modifier

yeah the cam thing... I need to talk to anyone who wanted me to do work on their vehicles.. please send me a pm asap...

Tom
Old 11-27-2005, 12:23 AM
no limitation as limitation

yeah, tom k told me about the cams. if i wasnt buying a new bass amp (bass guitar not sub) and a rear diff that would be on the list. well, their is always next year's xmas!
Old 11-27-2005, 08:47 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Budfreak
I really want to get on with these cams but Chike recommends 4.44's before doing it along with 2v5. Little steep for me for a while. I'll probally go the cheap way and use the MAF bypass and Impreza FPR, but the 4.44's cost bucks and i don't have the space to do the work right now anyway.

BTW, Is anyone gonna do any work on the exhaust cams next?
Old 11-27-2005, 10:32 PM
Maniac modifier

thinking about exhaust cams but I have no real proof that spending the extra $300 is gonna be worth anything

Tom
Old 11-27-2005, 10:58 PM
no limitation as limitation

will these cams help a FI application?
Old 11-27-2005, 11:05 PM
Maniac modifier

yes... these cams are actually allowing the peak power to be moved up in the rpms (Which allows for more power) and also to allow the engine to breath in deeper (Which allows for more power)... I am pondering about getting a little more aggressive

Tom

Last edited by TomsSVX; 11-27-2005 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Drunken rambling