Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Brake Upgrades
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-15-2007, 04:27 PM

Registered SVX
Brake upgrade for street driving

Hi all,

I would like to do some upgrades from stock brakes to improve the performance and feel. They have been VERY mush and don’t stop as well as they used to. My wife and I would never race or do things like auto X, but I sometimes do spirited driving on back roads. My 94 SVX is pretty much bone stock.

I did some search on the net and haven’t got clear answers to the following questions and would appreciate some help!

1. I'd like to replace rotors with plain ones, not slotted or drilled. Rockauto.com has Brembo (Part # 26310AA051) at $36 each for rear brakes. Would this be a quality part? Or could any one suggest a better source with a reasonable price? 2 peice design for a better cooling would be a good thing.
2. I’ve read that the new rotors need to be turned. Is this necessary? What type of shops would do this, if necessary? I called some retail brake shops around and they won’t do it.
2. For strictly street driving, which one would be a better choice, Axxiis metal master or Achebono proACT? Ceramic pads seem to be a good in many ways, but I’ve read they don’t work well in cold condition and some people built habits of dragging their brakes early in the morning. I’m slightly concerned whether my wife would forget to do this and run into a dangerous situation in a cold winter morning in Chicago… The price I found seem to be similar for both, about 50-60$ per pair.
3. How easy it is to change the rear brake lines ? Are they just replaceable with wheel off, or should I get under the back seat to change the rear ones? Is there any source of reliable stainless steel brake line (without fitting or harness breakage problem) other than Motorsports?
4. For just better brake feel on street driving, what brake fluid would you recommend?

Thanks!

-John