How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2016, 05:11 PM

Gas tank & pump

Months of fiddle have finally got electricity to the fuel tank pump in my '95 SVX, still doesn't go. Removed cover, hoses, electrical bits and whatnot, tank is big mess inside. I found an old post that says to "remove the gold clip in the middle, remove pump, etc, through passenger side door"

Fair enough, but this car sat outside for years, and water seems to have gotten in there, everything covered with brown slime and rust, nothing that looks like a clip, or is gold colored, is evident Anybody have a picture, or diagram of how to do this?

While we are here, how do you clean out the tank on one of these things?
Old 01-24-2016, 08:30 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Gas tank & pump

the 'gold' colored metal clip brackets here
97 SVX Lsi 70k
2003 s2000
91 RT4WD 166K
Old 01-24-2016, 08:57 PM

Registered SVX

While on the subject. I took my fuel pump out about 3 months ago. I didn't get around to installing the new one until just the other day. Problem is, I have forgotten what hoses go to where......any one have a pic and or an explanation?
Old 01-25-2016, 07:40 AM

Registered SVX

ok I thought I had pics but I can't find them. the clip sits right on top of the assembly as you look down into the tank. it will need a screwdriver to pop the catches one toward the front of the car and one to the rear on the passenger side at that point you can carefully pull it up toward the drivers side to allow the catches to let go on that side.

then you pull the hoses off and then you can pull the passenger side assembly out (this is the side with the fuel pump) you will use a counterclockwise twisting motion and a bit of leaning right and left with the top of the assembly. to put it back go in a clockwise direction with the twist.
Old 01-25-2016, 07:55 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasSVX92 View Post
While on the subject. I took my fuel pump out about 3 months ago. I didn't get around to installing the new one until just the other day. Problem is, I have forgotten what hoses go to where......any one have a pic and or an explanation?
ok I found I had an assembly out of the car, here is the clip

and here is the assembly on the passenger side, the one the fuel pump attaches to.

there are 3 hoses, that go to the side that has the fuel pump, the smallest is the return from the engine, it sits farthest forward. the Middle one is the suction from the drivers side of the tank, that hose goes from other assembly in the tank. and the big one is the fuel line to the engine.
Old 01-25-2016, 11:11 AM

OK, I recognize that clip. So far, I've removed four hoses and an electrical connector from the top of the tank cover, a similar number of hoses and 2 electrical connectors form the bottom of the cover, set the cover aside. Looking down into tank, I see the clip, but it is more or less covered by three more hoses that I guess I have to remove. Taking a break from clip fiddle to mark all these hoses, before I forget where they come from..
Old 01-25-2016, 12:13 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by briankk View Post
OK, I recognize that clip. So far, I've removed four hoses and an electrical connector from the top of the tank cover, a similar number of hoses and 2 electrical connectors form the bottom of the cover, set the cover aside. Looking down into tank, I see the clip, but it is more or less covered by three more hoses that I guess I have to remove. Taking a break from clip fiddle to mark all these hoses, before I forget where they come from..
If you can, please take some pics of where all the hoses go. It would be greatly appreciated
Old 01-25-2016, 04:50 PM

Registered SVX

Also, I've got everything out back together, but i cant remeber where to put the big rubber ring that seals everything up. I put it around the metal too where all the hoses go, but i can't get it to fit back into the tank when the rubber ring is on there
Old 01-25-2016, 07:13 PM

Registered SVX

that ring goes around the top, it sits in the hole of the tank sealing it up, you will likely need to work it into the opening while putting the top on.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:35 PM

Registered SVX

Alright thanks.

Also....didn't mean to hijack the thread, just figured it was in topic.
Old 01-26-2016, 12:52 PM

Quote:
If you can, please take some pics of where all the hoses go. It would be greatly appreciated
I bought a complete replacement kit at a not very local wrecking yard. I'll photograph and post soon as I can find my old camera. Last time, I found the camera, but lost the charger, this time have the charger, can't find the camera..

This thing is complicated, three major bits all snarled up in hose and wire, one pump assy, two float assys, how they fit together around that clip not at all obvious, to me
Old 01-26-2016, 01:14 PM

Registered SVX

I got all my hoses and stuff back together. But i put the big rubber ring around the metal cap that goes on the top of the tank. But when I do this, it makes the whole thing unable to fit to seal the tank
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2016-01-26-14-19-16.jpg (172.6 KB, 218 views)

Last edited by DallasSVX92; 01-26-2016 at 01:20 PM.
Old 01-26-2016, 06:58 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
I got all my hoses and stuff back together. But i put the big rubber ring around the metal cap that goes on the top of the tank. But when I do this, it makes the whole thing unable to fit to seal the tank
you have it correct but when you go to drop it in the hole you need to push the rubber into the hole. its like an o-ring in a way
Old 01-26-2016, 10:04 PM

Registered SVX

has anyone ever seen SUCH a Complex fuel delivery system in their entire life?

I thought omg, wtf were the engineers on…..

oh well. I suppose the "assembler" of the pump assembly at the factory is the whole reason these cars cost 33k+ lol no doubt due to the person calling in sick who was the assembly installer…….lol carnage.

ii only messed with mine cause my gas gauge was not reading correct, AND because i had replaced one of these things ina 94 LEgacy, thinking about the same setup…,,oh boy I was WRONG……different animal Legacy Vs SVX
97 SVX Lsi 70k
2003 s2000
91 RT4WD 166K
Old 01-27-2016, 04:29 AM
51 Club

Registered SVX

The protective plastic tubing covering the fuel lines conveniently ends 1/2" before the lines enter the car under the rear seat. This allows just enough room for water and salt to rust out the lines causing gas to pour out under the car.
Another example of fine engineering and keen thinking.