How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-10-2013, 05:49 PM

Registered SVX
Front rubber scrunching sound

I need help diagnosing the cause of a rubbery scrunching sound coming from the front which occurs when the front end goes up or down. It is most audible at parking speeds when the brakes are sharply applied and the car rocks down and up.
I just replaced both ball joints and control arms because of worn bushings.
The noise was there before this was done and is still there after the new parts were installed.
Could this be the shock mounts? There is no rattling sounds.
Thanks.
Bill
Old 09-10-2013, 09:40 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Front rubber scrunching sound

Does it do it when you push on the front end of the car when it is parked?
Does it do it when you turn the steering wheel at low speed?
Can you get it on video?

If it sounds like rubber creaking then it is prolly some bushing...

Does it sound anything like this?

Old 09-15-2013, 01:19 PM

Registered SVX

http://m.youtube.com/channel/UC_2rTF...?feature=guide

Thanks for the reply. It took me a while to make the videos and post them. I hope the link works.
As hopefully you can hear, the scrunching sound heard while driving is not audible while pushing on either end. There is also an occasional audible metallic click/snap when turning the wheels. It seems to come from the left front and why I am now wondering about shock mounts. I had hoped that click would have been fixed with the control arm replacement but heard it again while driving around making these videos.
Thanks for your help.
Bill
Old 09-15-2013, 11:04 PM

Registered SVX

I'll embed them for you.

Videos of his creaking:

My SVX sounded like that before I replaced my struts and mounts.
Then again I also replaced my ball-joints, tierod ends, and front swaybar endlinks..
So I'm not sure what actually got rid of the noise.. :/

*BUMP* for someone that can name this noise!!!

Last edited by Lookin4SVX; 09-15-2013 at 11:12 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:24 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

If I had to guess, I'd guess struts and/or strut mounts. Partly because it seems like it needs struts anyway, due to how easily it moves up and down (unless the guy in the vid is a lot heavier than he looks).

I feel your frustration though, I'm trying to track down some very annoying (but completely unrelated) noises in one of mine right now...
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 09-16-2013, 06:28 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Do you have polyurethane sway bar bushings?

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 09-16-2013, 07:25 PM

Registered SVX

Thanks for the opinions and the video imbeds.
I didn't think my struts were that worn, but in comparing them against my other cars, they do seem soft. The car has 170K miles and the struts have been replaced once before, but I do not think the mounts were changed. I guess I should probably replace the struts and mounts and see if that fixes things. It would make me feel better if they made the noise when I pushed down on the bumpers. The rears don't seem as soft but I imagine all four should be replaced as a set. The sway bar end links were replaced last your and are in good shape.
The sway bar bushings are stock and original.
Bill
Old 11-05-2015, 07:03 PM

Registered SVX

Still working on this sound. Was finally able to take it to a dealer out-of-town who says the motor and transmission mounts are bad and are responsible for the noise.
The motor mounts appear to be available from the factory for close to $300 each. The transmission mount is listed as NLA.
Does anyone have advice on getting these parts?

Also on an unusual issue, my crank pulley is generating/accumulating a static electrical charge that will usually discharge a spark to the timing belt cover every few seconds, but if not, will shock you if you touch the pulley.
The pulley I installed one and a half years ago was a factory part, but the problem started after that. Google search describes this occasionally happening with certain pulleys.
Maybe I should try getting a new pulley.
Thanks
Bill Z
Old 11-06-2015, 05:22 AM

Sounds like the 2 part pulley seperation problem but you say only 2 years old? Does the pulley face look like the inner/outer portion has shifted? With the accessory belts off the crank, you can try wiggling it to check. I also put a white paint stripe across the 2 portions to see if she's separating.
Old 11-06-2015, 02:55 PM

Registered SVX

Thanks about the pulley.
I painted a line on it and will see what happens.
Old 11-16-2015, 08:10 PM

Registered SVX

OK, I am gathering the parts to replace the mounts.
Reading the service manual, and it says to remove the exhaust manifolds and both front exhaust pipes.
Is this necessary? Maybe just remove both the pipes and not the manifolds?
Any other short cuts from what is described in the manual?
There are no good write ups that I can find.
Thanks.
Old 12-06-2015, 06:57 PM

Just reading the post for info since I don't have a scrunching sound (just installed ARM coil-overs less than a year ago). But your question about the tranny mount IS a problem I have. I had my tranny rebuilt less than a year ago and it just failed because the rear mount failed, allowing the tranny fluid to leak out (at least that's that the transmission repair place said when they rebuilt it under warranty) The rear mount is not available but if you search the forum, there is a thread that claims that a rear mount from a 98 Legacy w/one bolt cut off/ground down, will work. That rear mount is not that available (Rock Auto only had one manufacturer available). I ordered one and it will come at the end of the week; time will tell if it will work. I was able to locate a replacement insert from Ralli Tec but that only fits a one piece mount (Apparently some SVX's have either a 1 or 2 piece mount) I don't know what I have until the car is of the ground high enough to get to the rear mount. Before you ask why the tranny shop didn't do the job, they didn't want to get involved w/fabrications that may get involved. How can a rear mount be obsolete???
Old 12-07-2015, 10:15 AM

Registered SVX

Thanks Jvan.
The tranny mount WTB thread you've been posting on was started by me, so I have reading your comments.
I don't know what the difference is between a one or two piece mount, or which one I have, or how an insert would work.
Keep us updated on how your replacement goes. I will probably be doing mine around Christmas.
Bill Z
Old 12-07-2015, 04:17 PM

This is still "in process" for me. The 98 Legacy rear mount should come some time this week and then I'll have a visual idea of how a modification may work. During my web search, I've found info that the 2 piece 4EAT rear mount was used by Subaru until 1995 and the 1 piece mount was used on 96 newer cars. If that is true, then 96/97 SVX's have the 1 piece 4EAT rear mount. I've also read that the 1 piece mount can be swapped for the 2 piece mount (makes sense as the SVX is virtually the same from 92-97). So, if we can find a 4EAT rear mount for a 96/97, we can use the 1 piece upgraded insert bushing sold by RalliTek. I think the 1 piece 4EAT rear mount as used on other Subaru models in addition to the SVX (I don't know what subi models yet so I need to do more research). I have sent a email to RalliTek and Motorsportwarehouse for their help and am waiting for their response. The upgraded RalliTek insert bushing is on sale for about <$40; regular price<>$80. If the swap of the 1-2 piece is doable, then it's a matter of locating a 1 piece rear mount at a salvage yard and installing the RalliTek bushing insert in the salvage mount frame. Seems very doable but need to confirm all the info.
Old 12-07-2015, 06:05 PM

I want to update my last post; I checked the RalliTek web page and they list the 4EAT rear transmission mount for the following models;Impreze, Baja, Legacy,Outback, Forester, and (surprise) BRZ. I couldn't find what years had/has the 4EAT but I'm waiting for a response to my email. It is encouraging that so many models had/have the 4EAT so a mount may be readily available, if they can be swapped.