How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 05-09-2001, 02:46 PM
JeepGuy

Talking Introducing myself

Hi. As you can tell from my login, I'm a Jeep guy through and through. However, my brother now owns my dad's old SVX and I might pick it up. I've always like it, and they're tired fixing wheel bearings. It's currently in at Ann Arbor Subaru getting the bearing replaced again - last done less than 150 miles ago at the same shop- sounds like they're going to cover it.

Anyway, my dad bought it new. Fully loaded with all options except the rear spoiler. Dark green w/ grey leather.

A couple of questions before I go back into the shadows and wait for my brother to sell it to me cheap.

1. Is there anyplace on the net where I can see the full text of the service bulletins regarding the wheel bearing replacement?
2. Where's the best place to order parts for this?
3. If the housing is warped, how much do those run?
Old 05-09-2001, 03:10 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Welcome, Jeep Guy.

First, let me introduce you to a fellow "Ann Arboran" -- "Mr. Pockets" is there in your neck of the woods. You need to get together with him. He's quite knowledgeable about the car (Real Name, Nick Owens -- drop him a PM.)

Answer to question #1

TSB #ATRATB294
It is critical to tighten the axle and lug nuts to factory specifications.

WARNING If the factory tightening specifications are not followed, bearing life will be shortened or mechanical loads will not be spread evenly.
Install axle(s) and wheel(s).
Install nuts and hand tighten.
Lower vehicle until wheels begin to touch the ground.

Note Some vehicles use torque-to-yield bolts. These bolts should be tightened an additional amount beyond the listed torque specification. The extra amount is listed in degrees.

Answer to question #2

http://www.subaruparts.com

Answer to question #3

If by "housing" you mean the steering knuckle, that'll run you around 200.00.

Hope this helps, and, again, welcome.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 05-09-2001, 03:12 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Jeep Guy

Jeep Guy,

Unfortunately, I have no information to provide you with concerning your problems.

But I *do* live in Ann Arbor (I recently moved here) and I'm not sure where to take my SVX for servicing. What is your (or your family's) impression of Ann Arbor Subaru. They came off as very confident that they can handle anything on the SVX, but I'm looking for some sort of outside testimony.

Also, if you know any other local SVX owners, I would like to get them involved in this club as well as the 10th Anniversary Meet.

Thanks and good luck with the car.

END OF LINE

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 05-10-2001, 07:23 AM
JeepGuy

Thanks.

Just got off the phone with my bro. Sounds like Ann Arbor Subaru will be covering the cost of the bearing and the labor to replace it. They probably won't be covering the cost to replace the housing as it was probably damaged by the fools at the Midas shop who replaced it the time before it went to the dealer.

Mr. Pockets, my brother is a student at Michigan - I'm in Cleveland. He's looking to transfer, so he may not be around after this gets fixed. He was on his way back to Nebraska when the howl started coming from the rear again. However, I'll make sure he knows about this board. I'll let you know the final scoop on AnnArbor Subaru after all is said and done.
Old 05-10-2001, 07:56 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Gee, Jeep man, you guys are a travelin' bunch. What part of Nebraska? My wife's from Omaha, her father, until recently lived in Grand Island. Of course, if your brother is in the service, I know he's in Bellevue (Offutt?).

You can also look up a couple of our members in Cleveland. Shadowying and alanscouse are both in Cleveland, though both seem to be busy and only pop in here from time to time.

Hope everything turns out okay with the car.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 05-10-2001, 08:24 AM
JeepGuy

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay
Gee, Jeep man, you guys are a travelin' bunch. What part of Nebraska? My wife's from Omaha, her father, until recently lived in Grand Island. Of course, if your brother is in the service, I know he's in Bellevue (Offutt?).
Omaha. Not in the service.

You can also look up a couple of our members in Cleveland. Shadowying and alanscouse are both in Cleveland, though both seem to be busy and only pop in here from time to time.

Hope everything turns out okay with the car.

Thanks, I'm sure it will. If it doesn't, I'll have a helluva deal on an SVX.

And this looks like my kind of bunch of people. Hardcore owners looking to squeeze every last drop of performance out of the vehicle. I've been doing that with Jeeps for the past 8 years or so and almost hope I don't get the SVX, as it would be another 'bad habit'.
Old 05-10-2001, 08:29 AM

Registered SVX
<<as it would be another 'bad habit'.>>

LOL! Well, I've given up all the others! I've told my wife that, if she gives me too much trouble about what it costs to maintain this car, that I'll take up golf and join the country club. Talk about your money pit!
Subaru Ambassador