Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2001, 08:20 PM
Headed to Texas...

Unhappy

Visited the SVX Club on Yahoo tonight - I think it's about as bad as I've seen it. Maybe it's the holiday weekend, who knows?
Thing is, in the past it's been over stuff like CARS - you know, Audi vs. SVX and the like. Lately, personal attacks are becoming the norm. Mostly "new" people doing the attacking, but still - when it's your friends on the receving end - not a lot of fun.
Don't know what else to say about it, but at the moment this site feels like a refuge from that BS. Lord knows I love a good spirited argument as much as anybody, but . . . geez!

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 04-16-2001, 01:27 AM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Quote:
Originally posted by svxxx26
Visited the SVX Club on Yahoo tonight - I think it's about as bad as I've seen it. Lately, personal attacks are becoming the norm. Mostly "new" people doing the attacking, but still - when it's your friends on the receving end - not a lot of fun.
Well, I think I am the object of the BS over yonder. So what I did to straighten them out was to scan and upload a picture of my Senior Master Technician plaque. That *should* shut them up for a bit. I'm sure those freaks will go away, it's just a matter of time. They don't want help, they just want to spout misinformation in a club that they just joined to sound like big shots. I particularily liked the shots you took at the one fella! Thank you very much for your help. And if anyone here has a question about my qualifications, then by all means go to the photo section of the yahoo club and look under the eddycat and merith section.

And thank you very much for calling me a friend. I've made many on this and the other club and I appreciate it when you guys back me up.
Old 04-16-2001, 06:57 AM
Headed to Texas...

<<I appreciate it when you guys back me up.>>

Ever since I won the revered "Big Booty" award a few months ago (I'd like to thank the Academy . . . ), I have attempted to stay out of conflicts - but sometimes you just have to say something.
It's like this: You can fight and scrap with your brother 24 hrs. a day, no problem. But let a stranger try to take a swing at him, and it's like "back off".

BTW, what I'd really like to see a pic of is the legendary Eddycat in the green bathrobe, now that's . . . ummm, no - on second thought . . . where's the edit button . . .

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 04-16-2001, 09:08 AM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Quote:
Originally posted by svxxx26
[BBTW, what I'd really like to see a pic of is the legendary Eddycat in the green bathrobe, now that's . . . ummm, no - on second thought . . . where's the edit button . . . [/B]
Well, I'm pretty sure you don't want to see that. Sitting on my butt for 6 months, (I'm definitely not a winter person), hasn't helped my physique.

On a lighter note, one of the persons I was sparring with over there apologized, and the other didn't but he had very little to say after I uploaded that scan of my credentials. It amuses the heck out of me when I can produce the documentation that they say I can't (or won't), and they can't. That's what really gets them, ask for some proof and that's when the flames begin. Instead of backing up a BS claim, they turn to insults and name calling.
Old 04-16-2001, 11:33 AM
Jaylinb

Quote:
Originally posted by eddycat2000

Instead of backing up a BS claim, they turn to insults and name calling.
See, that's the thing I don't get about a lot of those insulting posts. In person, it's easy to get P.O'ed and mouth off something without thinking about it, but on a post board, you have to sit down and type out the insult, which requires (some) forethought. I can't understand why anyone would get so mad that they knowingly alienate everyone instantly by posting such nasty comments.
Ah, well, I guess I assume they have more sense than they actually do.
Cheer up, Eddy. Everyone feels the same way when a stranger starts off with the nasties. We all want them to go away. I have found that ignoring them is very effective. Hard to do, but effective.
Old 04-16-2001, 12:12 PM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaylinb

Cheer up, Eddy. Everyone feels the same way when a stranger starts off with the nasties. We all want them to go away. I have found that ignoring them is very effective. Hard to do, but effective.
Normally Jaylin I am pleased as punch when someone joins our little community. I could copy and paste this guys post, but I won't because it was vulgar and rude. He's been a member on the yahoo site for a whole week and started attacking me, and my credentials after reading some post where I was completely frustrated. I shouldn't have taken offense at the original posters ignorance, but I did. But out of nowhere comes this idiot spewing profanity and calling me everything but a white man. (That's not meant to be derrogatory, just a saying). At any rate, he shut up when I provided the documentation that I *do* have. It's amazing to me how fast those people slither away when shown the facts in black and white. But when asked to do the same they can't, so look out, here comes the name calling and profanity.

Ignore them? Hardly! Idiots have been ignored far too often for me. If you don't call their bluff, then you run the risk of some member here actually buying that sack of goods and screwing up their car. And I couldn't sleep at night if I let some self professed *technical wizard* spew misinformation without correcting them. It's like the kid that came into one dealership where I worked saying his "massive air flow meter" was bad. I asked him where he'd heard massive air flow meter...He said "his buddy, *thee mechanic* and technical genius had told him it was bad. I could have been a real jerk and replaced his "massive air flow meter", instead I asked if he'd like a real diagnosis. He finally agreed and it cost him the diagnostic time and a 25 dollar temp sensor.
Old 04-18-2001, 07:16 AM
Jaylinb

Wink very true

Point taken on that. I agree that we have to nip the myths in the bud before they spread like wildfire and lead to other mistakes. "Massive air flow meter" - heh, heh, sounds like the guy was given a massive load of you-know-what by his so called friend.

P.S.: I've finally graduated to full-fledged member with this post! Can I have my handy-dandy souvenir temporary SVX tattoo now?

Last edited by Jaylinb; 04-18-2001 at 07:19 AM.
Old 04-18-2001, 08:55 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: very true

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaylinb
"Massive air flow meter"

I once had a mechanic that worked out of his dilapidated garage outside his dilapidated house. He had lost his license due to too many DWI's so, he couldn't get a "regular" job. He had some select people he would do work for. I just happened to be one of them. He was a great mechanic and had "reformed" his drinking habits, but, alas, the damage was done -- a lifetime suspension.

He was the absolute master of mis-stating words. In one morning, I had to bite my lip 'til it bled. He was not very well educated and had learned his craft at the University of Hard Knocks. In about a three hour period, he told me that he would send in his card to get me a free "prescription" to JC Whitney . . . that it may be a while before he could get to my car because he had to go visit his mother-in-law who had "Anheiser's" disease, and . . . my car was "firing erotically." Bless his heart, he tried hard and did great work. He had very few teeth and was somewhat comical looking to begin with, so, the energy exerted to restrain laughter was twice as much as normal. I really did like him, though. Oh, his name? Charlie McCarthy (really!).
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 04-18-2001, 09:19 AM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Re: Re: very true

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

He was the absolute master of mis-stating words. In one morning, I had to bite my lip 'til it bled. He was not very well educated and had learned his craft at the University of Hard Knocks. In about a three hour period, he told me that he would send in his card to get me a free "prescription" to JC Whitney . . . that it may be a while before he could get to my car because he had to go visit his mother-in-law who had "Anheiser's" disease, and . . . my car was "firing erotically." Bless his heart, he tried hard and did great work. He had very few teeth and was somewhat comical looking to begin with, so, the energy exerted to restrain laughter was twice as much as normal. I really did like him, though. Oh, his name? Charlie McCarthy (really!).
Man, I can't stop laughing! I worked with this guys brother I think. He told the service manager and I one day about how several years earlier one of his *friends* had sh!t in his lunch box...no kidding. We kind of laughed it off and said yeah, right. So he went on to relate the whole story, we were in tears when he was done. And wouldn't you know he thought the guy was his friend, "oh, no, we're still friends". Have you ever even thought about doing that, let alone to a *friend*! heeheeeheeheeeeeeeheee
Old 04-18-2001, 09:35 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: very true

Quote:
Originally posted by eddycat2000
Have you ever even thought about doing that, let alone to a *friend*! heeheeeheeheeeeeeeheee
Ha! I'm one of those people who can't even use a public toilet, much less a lunchbox!
Subaru Ambassador

Old 04-18-2001, 09:38 AM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via Yahoo to svxter
I knew these were sexy vehicles....

but I never considered the possibility that they could fire erotically.

And, isn't Anheiser's disease what you get from drinking too much Budweiser?

Red F-150 Extended Cab Long Bed - Big Boy

Even the best monkey sometimes drops his banana.
Old 04-18-2001, 10:43 AM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Re: Re: Re: Re: very true

Quote:

Ha! I'm one of those people who can't even use a public toilet, much less a lunchbox!
Man, I can't even tell the story like he did, straight faced and serious. It came up when I was calling him BOY, he hated that too! C'mere detail boy! (We had a guy that hated being called lube boy too, he was about 50 years old, so I stopped calling him that and called him grease boy instead, heeeheeeeeheee). Anyhow back to the lunchbox story, he stood right there and told us how his "friend" took his lunch out back, shat in it and replaced it on the seat of his truck..."You can call me anything you want just dont sh!t in my lunch" were his parting words...we couldn't stop laughing for many, many minutes....
Old 04-18-2001, 10:52 AM
Jaylinb

hooo, boy!

LOL! Reminds me of that old Mad TV skit with Chris Rock, where he says, "Umm, this is malicious!"

I also remember speaking to a guy that swore up and down that all the Chevy Z71 Off-Roads had the exact same engine as the Corvette in them. He would recount wild tales of how he took it to the track all the time and beat drag cars with it. "Ya see, it's because it has more weight, and it can go down the track more powerfully than them light cars."
Sure, buddy. Just step over here and speak to these nice guys in the white coats....
Old 04-18-2001, 12:03 PM

Registered SVX
Re: I knew these were sexy vehicles....

Quote:
Originally posted by svxter
but I never considered the possibility that they could fire erotically.

And, isn't Anheiser's disease what you get from drinking too much Budweiser?

Yeah, I thought about cracking wise, but, I'm sure he would neither have appreciated it nor understood. I had comebacks like, "wow, I knew I felt something." And, (grabbing my belly) "Yeah, I got a little of that "Anheisers" thing goin' on myself." Oh well, I was able to entertain myself in the "back of my mind" while he was being ever so serious.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 04-18-2001, 01:37 PM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Re: Re: I knew these were sexy vehicles....

Quote:

Yeah, I thought about cracking wise, but, I'm sure he would neither have appreciated it nor understood. I had comebacks like, "wow, I knew I felt something." And, (grabbing my belly) "Yeah, I got a little of that "Anheisers" thing goin' on myself." Oh well, I was able to entertain myself in the "back of my mind" while he was being ever so serious.
Heeheeee...at the same place that this other fella and I worked was a very toopid Hyundai tech...every time another of my co-workers would give him a shot, he'd reply, "NO, that's your head." Regardless of what was said to him. He quit when things got slow and went to work for a deisel truck place, after he forgot to put oil in the 3rd truck and the engine cratered he got fired. This brain surgeon had so many credit card debts he'd have to use credit cards to pay credit cards. But they kept sending him more, one time he got mad at his girlfriend because they got a new credit card and she invited all their friends up for a free tank of gas on the new card...to the tune of a couple hundred bucks.