Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-12-2001, 07:55 PM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via Yahoo to svxter
Re: 10th Anniversary

Quote:
Originally posted by svxistentialist
Is this 10th Anniversary meet in '02??

If so, and the anniversary is also going to be a christening, sounds like the sort of spiritual {couldn't resist it!!} event I would like to attend.

You boys want to try some serious whisky, I have a name for you; Lagavulin . It's a Scotch single malt, and it's expensive. Don't let that put you off, we are worth it.
Normal circumstances, an Irishman should not be promoting Scotch whisky over Irish whiskey, but you've got to give credit where it's due. In the deep mists of pre-recorded history, we showed them how to do it. No denying they were good pupils, and we're proud of them.
Most single malts need water added, this one doesn't, but have it your own preferred way, you will like it. It probably tastes good even with Virgin's water in it, or did I get that post wrong?

Joe
As to the spiritual event at hand, we're talking about the KY vs. TN sip-off, one week and one day hence, at the Springtime in the Smokies meet.

But that's not to say that horizons couldn't be broadened, for the 10th anniversary meet next year. Expecially if a certain Irishman were to somehow appear on the scene, bearing single malts.
Red F-150 Extended Cab Long Bed - Big Boy

Even the best monkey sometimes drops his banana.
Old 04-12-2001, 09:31 PM
Headed to Texas...

Talking Virgin's water?

<<It probably tastes good even with Virgin's water in it, or did I get that post wrong?>>

ROTFLMAO!!!

Hehehe . . . ummm, Joe - that's "West Virginia Spring Water"

Of course, now that you mention it, a little Virgin's water might . . . naw, I'll shut up

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 04-13-2001, 05:26 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Thumbs up Virginias water

Too right Gerry

My view, you take it how you like it, provided you don't spill or splash any.

Joe
Old 04-13-2001, 05:31 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Re: 10th Anniversary

Quote:
Originally posted by svxter

As to the spiritual event at hand, we're talking about the KY vs. TN sip-off, one week and one day hence, at the Springtime in the Smokies meet.

But that's not to say that horizons couldn't be broadened, for the 10th anniversary meet next year. Expecially if a certain Irishman were to somehow appear on the scene, bearing single malts.
Sorry I won't be at the sip-off. Sounds sorta tame. Is Aredub left off the invite list?

Next year might be different. I would only be going for comparative purposes. Have to start saving.

Joe
Old 04-13-2001, 08:07 AM

Re: Re: Re: 10th Anniversary

Quote:
Originally posted by svxistentialist

Sorry I won't be at the sip-off. Sounds sorta tame. Is Aredub left off the invite list?

Next year might be different. I would only be going for comparative purposes. Have to start saving.

Joe

Aredub not attend a meet within driving distance? He who drove to Vermont on a Legacy transmission locked in FWD mode? Not invite Aredub? Surely you jest, sir.

Oh, yeah, he's going to be here.

Start saving those coins.

Old 04-13-2001, 10:33 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Thanks for the tip, Joe. I'll have to look for that particular scotch. I've usually turned to "The Glenlevit" or "Glenfiddich" for my single malt (the only kind as far as I'm concerned) Scotch.

Meanwhile, the only Irish I've been able to find here is Bushmill's. I have my fair share of it in the winter as my favorite "warm" libation in winter is the famed "Irish Coffee," covered with a little whipped cream and drizzled with Creme deMenthe.

Perhaps if you hook up with M30SVX, you guys could arrange to travel together to the 10th Anniversary meet. He'll be vacationing here during that time. I'm trying to get him to stop by my place in KY, on his way to New Orleans.

Guaranteed, it'll be a great time.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 04-13-2001, 11:33 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Singles Club

Hope you get some, the aroma is something else. Both the Glenfiddich [first single I ever tasted] and The Glenlivet are Lowland malts from Banffshire, and are wonderfully light and balanced.
There are not very many varieties of Irish whiskey, but I love Black Bush, and my favourite would be Powers.

Currently in my drinks cabinet are
Glenmorangie 10 Years Old
Glenfiddich
The Edradour 10 YO
Glenmorven 16 YO
Dalwhinnie 15 YO
Lagavulin 15 YO
Cragganmore 12 YO
Aberlour Cask Strength 57%

and Irish:
Bushmills Malt 10 YO
Powers Gold Label Special Reserve 12 YO

The Lagavulin is showing the most wear and tear, I will have to do a replenishment trip soon. The only one missing that I would rate highly {but it's all subjective, I admit} is Glenfarclas, another "sherry" type whisky.

Like the recipe for Irish Coffee, I like it myself, but I would not use an expensive brew in it, it doesn't need one for the effect.

Joe
Old 04-13-2001, 02:05 PM
Is it Summer yet?

Single Malts are such a personnal thing. One man's poison is another man's ....... well you know what I mean.
svxistentialist (can we call you Irish or something) has two of my favorites on his list - Glenmorangie and Lagavulin - but missing is my current # 1, Talisker.
I'll see what I can find for the the Smokies Taste Off.
06 Chevy Malibu 71K
13 Outback 0K
Old 04-13-2001, 02:38 PM

I've tasted the Glenfiddich and Glenmorangie on Joe's list. I think Laphroig is pretty tasty, too.

Old 04-13-2001, 03:05 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Send a message via Yahoo to SVXphile
No Bells ?

I noticed you left Bells off your Scotch list

I hate to tell on my old bud Aredub, but I walked behind him at the dinner table at Snowshoe, and noticed that cleverly hidden up through his sleeve, was an "IV" drip of .......Wild Turkey. This man is a PRO gentlemen....match drinks with him at your own peril!

PS- He went to blow out the candle on the table as we were ready to leave....and almost burned Molar's shirt off.....would I lie to you?
Don
Old 04-13-2001, 04:03 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
One of our clients imports both Glenmarangie and Bushmills. Like I said, Bushmills is the only Irish I can find 'round here, so, that's what I gotta use in my Irish Coffee. I'll check on the Powers, though. There are some specialty shops that might have it.

I don't keep much in the way of "Heavy Beverages" 'round the house. Currently I have about half a fifth of Makers Mark and about a quarter fifth of Ouzo -- both left overs from the Vermont Meet (sorry, Blonde_man, Tat2skullz and I promptly dispatched the Wild Turkey 101). I really should have a good Scotch and a good Irish in supply, though.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 04-13-2001, 04:17 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Smile Wild Turkey Shoot

Have tried Wild Turkey long long ago, I think there is a high proof one I liked. The one that sells most here in Ireland is Southern Comfort, but it's sweetened up a lot like a liquer. Very nice flavour, though.

Flavour is personal, not everybody likes the same, but generally speaking, good or excellent is easily recognised. Whiskey drinkers are a tough breed. We just keep on drinking it till we like it.

Talisker is a Skye malt, and one of the v. good ones, Montypython. There are so many good ones, you would need quite a cabinet and wallet to hold a bottle of each. Laphroaig is the one closest to Lagavulin, Bill, it is from the same island, Islay. Very strong flavour and an acquired taste, it has more Iodine in it giving it a slightly antiseptic flavour.

I only left Bells off SVXphile because I don't currently have any. It is a blended scotch, not a single malt, but has always been my favourite blend, not to be sneezed at. Another good blend if you see it is House of Lords, which contains a good percentage of The Edradour in the mixture. Good value. All this talk of drink, I can see you guys are petrolheads just for the aromatic hydrocarbons. Enjoy the sip-off next week, I'll be there in spirit

Joe
Old 04-13-2001, 04:29 PM

Registered SVX
Yes, Joe, Southern Comfort is more of a "cordial" drink. The "High Proof" Turkey you speak of is my favorite "All Round" Bourbon. It comes in 80 and 101 proof. The 101 has the perfect mixture of "impact" "sweetness" and "bourbon-esque" flavor. Wild Turkey also makes an excellent liqueur. Sort of a mix between "Comfort" and "Drambuie."

As for favorite "blends" I have none. Sorry, it's a personal thing. I'm sure that there are good ones out there, but I've been taught that "it's just not done."
Subaru Ambassador

Old 04-13-2001, 04:44 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Stark Raving Mad Turkey

Yeah, Randy, the 101 is the one, nice kick, I'm looking forward to it again.

Have to re-educate you on the blends. Some of the off-the-wall priced Irish whiskies are blended. What gave blends a bad name years ago was the practice of using a percentage of cheap grain alcohols mixed with a low percent of one or more singles.

What makes a good blend is the amount and quality of the single it's based on, and, most important, that they don't use any rubbish in it. Sadly, in principle, I agree with you, most are crap, with a few honourable exceptions. It's all to do with the fact a lot of drinkers drown the whiskey in Coke, soda, 7up and all sorts of contaminants before tasting it. You don't drink it neat, you dont know what they are selling you.

Joe

What's this about an intravenous drip?? Don't you like the flavour of it any more??
Old 04-13-2001, 07:46 PM

Registered SVX
I will use a splash of water, now and again in the bourbon, but, definitely drink most of my liquors over ice (of course, in the U.S., we can, since our refrigerators aren't wired by Lucas ).

I had to begin the "drip" because it was just taking too darned long to absorb.

So, get on over here and we'll check out the Turkey 101.

Come to think of it, the mint is sprouting in the flower garden. I may have to take a supply and create some fresh Julips while we're in the Smokies. Yeehaw!
Subaru Ambassador