How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2001, 02:16 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by eddycat2000

So what you are saying is that on this site posts get eliminated if someone doesn't like them? Don't get me wrong, but that just ain't right if that's what you're trying to say. I ran a local BBS before we had internet access in this area, and I only deleted posts that were vulgar or tasteless in nature...i.e. people using foul language.

As much as I got beat up over the weekend, I still respect the right of those idiots to express their opinions. They, after all were the ones making asses out of themselves.
What I'm saying is this: if things begin to get out of hand, there will be fair warning to reign in any unnecessary "quibbling, name-calling, nonsensical bickering" and the like. You said you deleted "tasteless" posts. "Tasteless" does not have to be "vulgar" in nature, but, "vulgarity" will definitely not be tolerated. I'm not saying I'm going to take a "Broad Sword" to posts -- I'm simply saying that I will maintain a modicum of decorum in the forum for which I'm responsible. A lot of the "stuff" that has gone on in the past has been "distasteful" to me and others, I just don't want those kind of flame wars on my watch -- this isn't aimed strictly at you, eddy. I would've stepped in the moment you were called a "dumbass." I consider that to be unnecessary. I also consider calling people "retards" unnecessary, and other childish names. Just aint proper. People will be allowed to express points and counter points as long is it is done in a civilized manner. I think those "in the know" would agree with me. If not, I want to know now so that I can tell Chris can remove me as moderator of this forum.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI

Last edited by Aredubjay; 04-09-2001 at 02:32 PM.
Old 04-09-2001, 03:44 PM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via Yahoo to svxter
Moderation, in moderation

Randy, I think you're basically on target. Once the name-calling starts, the original issue quickly gets lost in the flurry of attacks and counter-attacks. I can stand tastlessness, and even a certain amount of vulgarity, but I don't have much tolerance for personal attacks. There's too much rancor in our public lives as is, I'd hate to see it become the norm here.
Red F-150 Extended Cab Long Bed - Big Boy

Even the best monkey sometimes drops his banana.
Old 04-09-2001, 05:01 PM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

What I'm saying is this: if things begin to get out of hand, there will be fair warning to reign in any unnecessary "quibbling, name-calling, nonsensical bickering" and the like. You said you deleted "tasteless" posts. "Tasteless" does not have to be "vulgar" in nature, but, "vulgarity" will definitely not be tolerated. I'm not saying I'm going to take a "Broad Sword" to posts -- I'm simply saying that I will maintain a modicum of decorum in the forum for which I'm responsible. A lot of the "stuff" that has gone on in the past has been "distasteful" to me and others, I just don't want those kind of flame wars on my watch -- this isn't aimed strictly at you, eddy. I would've stepped in the moment you were called a "dumbass." I consider that to be unnecessary. I also consider calling people "retards" unnecessary, and other childish names. Just aint proper. People will be allowed to express points and counter points as long is it is done in a civilized manner. I think those "in the know" would agree with me. If not, I want to know now so that I can tell Chris can remove me as moderator of this forum.
However you define proper Aredub, doesn't mean that it's what I consider proper. For someone in the media business, I would think you would understand that. I don't have a problem with someone calling me a dumbass, except when he's obviously wrong, but hey, he's only injuring himself. It certainly did tick me off, but my posts were in response to his, and I think they were appropriate, regardless of what you think. I also believe that here in America we are free to express our thoughts. You and I have also had our differences, but it doesn't mean I'm going to scream foul if you call me a dumbass. Heck no, I'll just reply by calling you a retard. So if you want to moderate your group that way, let me know, I just won't visit anymore. Not a problem. Call it childish if you like, but I don't think expressing your feelings, when you can only type them, is unacceptable.

I'm glad your tranny held up, and also that they didn't charge you. Now that I have been sufficiently chastised about my behavior I shall go back home.
Old 04-09-2001, 06:04 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Have to agree with Randy and Bill here Eddy, but I am not taking a stance against you, I followed all the crap, you were provoked.
To me, character taking and name calling on a public forum is unnecessary and rude, no matter who is doing it, or that it is in response to something. It just lowers the tone of the board.
It was great to see the regulars back and inject a bit of levity in the situation, and that they supported you as I would expect.
Keep cool with the young kids, they are full of it. As my late granny used to say, "the world will learn them"

Joe

PS I accept the freedom of speech bit of your arguament, and am lifelong against censorship, but if everyone sticks to rules of minimal restraint, no purging should be necessary.
Old 04-09-2001, 06:54 PM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Quote:
Originally posted by svxistentialist
Joe

PS I accept the freedom of speech bit of your arguament, and am lifelong against censorship, but if everyone sticks to rules of minimal restraint, no purging should be necessary.
I also agree that some sort of decorum should be used when posting in public. However, Aredubs post said "unnecessary" quibbling and name calling. I'm uncertain as to who I want to determine what is or is not necessary for me. I certainly wouldn't purge any post that offended me as long as it wouldn't offend the majority of members here. I think Svxit has done an admirable job in that area on the other site. Now mind you, I have come to know Aredub over the months on both sites, and I certainly don't think he's a book burning Hitler type, but sometimes what I think may not be what you think and if someone has the power to delete posts then that power can be misused. (When I ran my local BBS I had to straighten out a couple of guys that I had as co-sysops for just that reason.)
Old 04-09-2001, 10:03 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Look eddy. I like you. Please don't ask me why.

Like you said, I'm not a Hitler, book burner. I'm not a control freak. I believe in "free speech." I'm definitely not looking for a pissing match here. Yes, you were provoked. I have been provoked, but, I just handle it a little differently.

Like I said, it won't be a "broad sword" nor, will I delete posts unless it just gets too insane. Come in, have your fun, just don't let folks get to you. And, again, I'm not chastizing you for your behavior. This goes for anybody who wants to fire up the napalm. And, I will do my best to be fair.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 04-10-2001, 02:11 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Thumbs up Consensus, without the scissors.

Good to see everyone in broad agreement here. Eddy, any luck with the interview, or will you not know for a bit?

Randy, how is the box going now, did they do a good job? Any Guinness over Claret cars at the meet?

BTW, Joe 90 in Montreal reckons the reason my car only has 3rd gear and reverse is it is stuck in "safe" or get-you-home mode. He reckons resetting the TCU might fix it. Do you think this could be so Eddy? Doing the current problems diagnostic routine just give a rapidly blinking Power code, which suggests the box doesn't "see" a problem. What do you think??

Joe
Old 04-10-2001, 03:11 PM

Registered SVX
Joe, so far, so good. She shifted great through all the trials and tribulations of the trip and through the 4 hour run. The one-two is still a little "firm" for me, but the others are silky smooth.

Eddy -- heard anything yet? Let us know. Don't make me wait for 24 days!
Subaru Ambassador

Old 04-10-2001, 04:14 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Thumbs up

Sounds good Randy.

Prayers are answered.
You can put the ulcer on hold.
{Unless you been at the rotgut at the meet??}

Joe
Old 04-10-2001, 05:20 PM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Quote:
Eddy -- heard anything yet? Let us know. Don't make me wait for 24 days!
Won't know until Thursday is what I was told today. Apparently the HR woman, (very nice lady), has tomorrow off. She's going to give the service manager the resume and test results, yes test results, to him today yet.

What a convoluted mess it is to apply for a job anymore. They make you sign a paper saying that if you have a disagreement with them and you get fired, you won't sue them. I'm sure any lawyer would chew that to shreds in about 2 minutes. And then I had to fill out a pamphlet asking me to check off the characteristics that I think my co-workers would say I have, and then what ones I think I have. Then I had 15 minutes to do a 50 question test about math and english. I got about 30 of them done and ran out of time, which I gather is also a part of the test. (Did he freak out when he didn't finish an impossible to finish test?) I was quite surprised that they didn't want to see the title to my car, my proof of insurance, and my drivers license. I also figured that after all that hoop jumping they might want me to dance a few steps or sing a line or two. If they ask for my big dumb yella eddy cat, then I'm staying unemployed.

And man that is a long drive, and I'm sure it would be worse during rush hour traffic. I love driving the SVX, but I'm going to keep my eyes out for a local job even if I get this one.
Old 04-10-2001, 05:25 PM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Quote:
I have been provoked, but, I just handle it a little differently.

I almost forgot, and it's toooo good to pass up.

Wait for it....

PRICK!

heeeheeeehheeeeehhheeeeee
Old 04-10-2001, 06:36 PM

Registered SVX
<<I also figured that after all that hoop jumping they might want me to dance a few steps or sing a line or two.>>

How 'bout a little "soft shoe" to "Buttons 'n' Bows?"

Anyway, best of luck to you.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 04-10-2001, 06:38 PM

Registered SVX
<<PRICK!>>

Oh, man! And here I'd thought I'd left that one behind me like a misplaced tater. Guess some things will never die.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 04-10-2001, 06:42 PM

Registered SVX
<<Sounds good Randy. Prayers are answered>>

They most certainly are. I'm just glad He didn't say "no" this time. And, no rotgut at this meet. The ulcer's been placed on indefinite hold. Well, 'til the Smokies meet and the KY/TN Bourbon taste-off.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 04-11-2001, 02:07 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Wink Rotgut ??

Quote:
[Bthis time. And, no rotgut at this meet. The ulcer's been placed on indefinite hold. Well, 'til the Smokies meet and the KY/TN Bourbon taste-off. [/B]
Hey, when I said rotgut, I didn't mean whiskey!!!.......
You pressed my button, whiskey tasting is a way of life around these parts[At least when I'm home]
Don't know what you mean by KY/TN shootout, but I am not overfond of bourbon, it's a bit oily. However, a very honourable exception, and very palatable tipple is Jim Beam.
If I get over to the States sometime, be glad to help you compare that one to whatever-you-got.

Joe