How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 08-27-2002, 03:06 PM
Ca$h

Exhaust Rattle

When I step on it I get a little rattle noise. Almost sounds like a ... eh.. .. are there exhaust manifold shields on this car? The engine bay is so crowded I can't tell. I'll look closer once i get a shop manual I'll be set. :\

- Ca$h
Old 08-27-2002, 03:16 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: Exhaust Rattle

Quote:
Originally posted by Ca$h
When I step on it I get a little rattle noise. Almost sounds like a ... eh.. .. are there exhaust manifold shields on this car? The engine bay is so crowded I can't tell. I'll look closer once i get a shop manual I'll be set. :\

- Ca$h
You wouldn't be able to tell from above, anyway - the manifolds come out of the bottom of the engine. Yeah, there are heat shields all over the place along the exhaust. Your rattle is probably coming from one of them. Also a posibility is the exhaust resonator - aka the primary muffler. Some people have had theirs cut out and had straight pipes welded in place.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 08-27-2002, 03:35 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
I'll put 10 bucks on it that you are hearing a resonator that is going/gone south. Just chop it and replace it with a glass pack or straight pipe it.

L
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 08-27-2002, 04:20 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Seraph
I'll put 10 bucks on it that you are hearing a resonator that is going/gone south. Just chop it and replace it with a glass pack or straight pipe it.

L
That's what everybody's going to jump for, but I still say that it's very possible that a heat shield is buzzing. That's what mine was, and cash's car is also from a northern area where those bits rust pretty quickly.

Before hacking out the resonator, I think it's worthwhile to check the heat shields.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 08-27-2002, 04:25 PM
Green1995SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

That's what everybody's going to jump for, but I still say that it's very possible that a heat shield is buzzing. That's what mine was, and cash's car is also from a northern area where those bits rust pretty quickly.

Before hacking out the resonator, I think it's worthwhile to check the heat shields.
That's what I did. I had the local exhaust shop remove my heat shelds one by one till they were all gone. The rattle was still there, so they hacked off the resonator, and that eliminated that problem

-Mike
Old 08-27-2002, 04:31 PM
Who watches the watchmen?

I replaced the resonator as it was making quite a racket. The bad news is that now I can hear the stones and pebbles that are caught in my heat shield. I wish there was a way to get them out without taking off the heat shields.

Matt
Old 08-28-2002, 12:00 AM

Registered SVX
had to replace a resonator, thought it was a heat shield. Check the archives for opinions on replacing the resonator with a piece of pipe. Has to do with the resonators function regarding back pressure and scavenging...????
Old 08-29-2002, 09:00 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I had rocks in one of the heat shields protecting the front left cat. All I did was enlarge one of the 3 holes in the shield (the rear one) until it was large enough for the rock to escape. No more exhaust rattles!

(now on to those suspension rattles )
Old 08-31-2002, 03:02 AM
TonyShaleUK

Did my heatshields last weekend. Combination of grounding the exhaust (previous owner, of course!) buckling the shields onto the boxes, stones and rubbing of some of the brackets. When I took them off, some were packed with some form of packing material that was obviously heat resistant. I spread this between the other heatshields where obvious rubbing was taking place and, bliss, silence!!

Took me about 3 hours