Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2006, 12:59 AM
<<<Alcyone

Quaife ATB Differential

Has anyone heard of these diffs? They're available for WRX front and rear, so we would at least be able to use the front one in a WRX 5-speed swap.

http://www.quaifeamerica.com/

Their warranty sounds good:

Quaife America Torque Biasing Differential Lifetime Warranty: Quaife America warrants each new Quaife ATB Differential against defects in manufacture, material, workmanship, and wear-out when used in the vehicle application for which it was originally designed, on any motor vehicle, under any and all operating conditions, including racing, for as long as the original purchaser, or any subsequent purchaser owns the differential. The original purchaser must complete and mail in the accompanying warranty registration form within 30 days of the purchase date to qualify for this warranty. The registrant must present a copy of this warranty together with a copy of the original receipt to the service outlet or parts store from whom the differential was originally purchased when making a claim for replacement or repair. All warranty claims submitted must include proof of purchase. Failure to provide proper documentation renders warranty null and void.

Dan
Old 03-21-2006, 03:33 PM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Quote:
Originally Posted by intelisevil
Has anyone heard of these diffs? They're available for WRX front and rear, so we would at least be able to use the front one in a WRX 5-speed swap.

http://www.quaifeamerica.com/

Their warranty sounds good:

Quaife America Torque Biasing Differential Lifetime Warranty: Quaife America warrants each new Quaife ATB Differential against defects in manufacture, material, workmanship, and wear-out when used in the vehicle application for which it was originally designed, on any motor vehicle, under any and all operating conditions, including racing, for as long as the original purchaser, or any subsequent purchaser owns the differential. The original purchaser must complete and mail in the accompanying warranty registration form within 30 days of the purchase date to qualify for this warranty. The registrant must present a copy of this warranty together with a copy of the original receipt to the service outlet or parts store from whom the differential was originally purchased when making a claim for replacement or repair. All warranty claims submitted must include proof of purchase. Failure to provide proper documentation renders warranty null and void.

Dan
The rear one too.... You would know that if you knew the WRX 5 speed specs... .... In a WRX tranny swap you don't have to change out the rear diff because of the center diff in a WRX box...

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...

Last edited by GreenMarine; 03-21-2006 at 03:37 PM.
Old 03-21-2006, 04:34 PM
Phil & Belha

My friend Graham has one in his racing car.

http://www.fluke-motorsport.co.uk/pr...cars_wr1c.html
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II
Old 03-21-2006, 11:38 PM
<<<Alcyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMarineSVX
The rear one too.... You would know that if you knew the WRX 5 speed specs... .... In a WRX tranny swap you don't have to change out the rear diff because of the center diff in a WRX box...
I know about the 1.1:1 center diff in a WRX box, which means that we don't have to do anything to our rear diffs. That's why I'm currently looking for a WRX 5-speed.

I don't know for a fact that the internal specs of our rear diff housing would allow for the WRX goodies to fit. That's why my statement was "so we would at least be able to use the front one in a WRX 5-speed swap". I was hoping someone might know about the rear and follow up for the rest of us.

While we're on this subject, sort of, if I were to pick up a WRX rear diff housing along with the 5-speed, would it be a straight bolt in proposition? I don't want to play with swapping out ring and pinion, (backlash setting, etc.). If it's 'plug and play', it could be worthwhile to put in a low mileage rear end.

Dan
Old 03-22-2006, 11:51 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
well, if you can do it, get rid of the 1.1:1 ratio in the center diff and run the 3.90 rear. The Suretrac in the R180 is freakin amazing!!!!!!!!!!!! Might as well have locked the rear

Tom
Old 03-23-2006, 01:06 PM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
well, if you can do it, get rid of the 1.1:1 ratio in the center diff and run the 3.90 rear. The Suretrac in the R180 is freakin amazing!!!!!!!!!!!! Might as well have locked the rear

Tom
That's right Tom, you have that in your car .... Can ya tell me, how exactly it drives?? Have you ever driven an STi before?? I've driven a bunch of them and LOVE how the tranny puts the power on the road... If that is atall like what it's like in your car then I'll be doing that 6-speed swap when I can get the money

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 03-23-2006, 02:45 PM
Who watches the watchmen?

Quaife units work good because they are torque biasing. They we be loose on corner entry and tight on exit with variable lock. They should be fine in a FWD or AWD car as there is lots of weight over the front wheels. They are not great for RWD cars as stiffly sprung RWD cars can lift a rear wheel pretty going over a curb or sometimes just cornering hard. If a Quaife LSD gets one wheel in the air or gets light, it does not do it's job as it turns into an open diff. Not a concern for street use, but my RWD autocross car uses a clutch style LSD.

--Matt