How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 11-18-2002, 02:14 PM
calmone

trannie cost

anyone have an idea of what a reasonable price is for a slightly used rebuilt trannie? i'de have to pay to have mine removed and the replacement installed (about $600.00) and i've seen a few trannies from parted out cars and prices at yards. i know a rebuild INSTALLED may be from $1,800 to $4,000, so it would seem a grand or so would be reasonable. any thoughts are appreciated.
Old 11-18-2002, 03:31 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: trannie cost

Quote:
Originally posted by calmone
anyone have an idea of what a reasonable price is for a slightly used rebuilt trannie? i'de have to pay to have mine removed and the replacement installed (about $600.00) and i've seen a few trannies from parted out cars and prices at yards. i know a rebuild INSTALLED may be from $1,800 to $4,000, so it would seem a grand or so would be reasonable. any thoughts are appreciated.
I paid 480.00 for a used tranny (had 84K miles on it) on E-bay. I paid another 1200.00 to have it rebuilt and installed. That was a bargain, considering that the local dealership was looking for almost 4 grand. However, in your area, you should be able to find a dealership that will take care of you for around 2500.00 installed. Considering that comes with a 2 year/24K mile warranty, that'd be my option.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 11-18-2002, 04:06 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
i will have my autobox out in less then a month. I will sell it to you for 200+ shipping if you want, it is in need of a rebuild and im putting my smallcar 5 speed in. PM me or email me at bigdhilll@aol.com if you are interested!, stock shifter assembly, tourqe converter, and shift solenoids(excect 2nd solenoid, that dosnt work) So if anyone is interested let me know
Also for sale will be a TCU
phil
Old 11-18-2002, 09:00 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Question Re: trannie cost

Quote:

Bill - Who has offered to do the labor?

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 11-19-2002, 10:26 AM
calmone

my regular mechanis has offerede to take out the old trannie and install the rebuilt one for about $600.00.
Old 11-19-2002, 10:31 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
my regular mechanis has offerede to take out the old trannie and install the rebuilt one for about $600.00.
Yep, that's cheap. But, you have to ask yourself two questions: How long will it last? Is it worth the gamble? Unfortunately, I *had* to gamble due to my dealership's horrid markup.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 11-19-2002, 01:11 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Talking

Quote:
Do you mean Mr."Jags-R-Us"? He must be feeling guilty about something, Bill.

Ron.

'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
Old 11-20-2002, 10:06 AM
calmone

yup, he probably is feeling a it guilty because i have basically paid his mortgage the last two months. but actually while he isn't a great svx or subaru fan (prefering european) he'll give most anything a try.

as for finding someone to work on an svx, it appears it's not the svx part, it's the subaru thing. i've had a number of shops tell me they just don't want to work on subarus because parts are hard to get, lifts get tied up, not worth it to them . i went to the local dealer. at first they laughed. then the guy said he couldn't give a quote on a rebuild as they'de probably order a whole new trannie. BUT ALL IS NOT LOST! i found a shop who said (all right, over the phone) that they'de do a rebuild for between $1,200 and $1,800. so after the two parts i ordered come in i'll take her over and see what happens.
Old 11-20-2002, 06:41 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Cool

Quote:
yup, he probably is feeling a it guilty because i have basically paid his mortgage the last two months. but actually while he isn't a great svx or subaru fan (prefering european) he'll give most anything a try.

as for finding someone to work on an svx, it appears it's not the svx part, it's the subaru thing. i've had a number of shops tell me they just don't want to work on subarus because parts are hard to get, lifts get tied up, not worth it to them . i went to the local dealer. at first they laughed. then the guy said he couldn't give a quote on a rebuild as they'de probably order a whole new trannie. BUT ALL IS NOT LOST! i found a shop who said (all right, over the phone) that they'de do a rebuild for between $1,200 and $1,800. so after the two parts i ordered come in i'll take her over and see what happens.
Be sure to keep us posted on progress. I just hope this guy isn't using your car as a "learning experience". You don't need a second mortgage in the coming months. By the way, how's the Lagonda revving?

Ron.

'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
Old 11-21-2002, 09:05 AM
calmone

so i thought i had the only lagonda in the state and then i hear one is at prestige motors on liberty road. sure enough, they have an 89 series 4, asking 54 (now down to 49). so, although it is in better shape than my 86 it costs ALOT more. as for my 86, i have to do at least 2 things. first, i have a water leak from the windscreen, so off to the glass shop in a bit. second, the carbs should be cleaned and balanced. that's a bit of a job and will probably wait. now, i had to get it inspected and got not good words from the inspectioon station. something about lower ball joints and tyres. i figure i'm going to put minimal milage on it and the tyres are wearing o.k. now (the complaint was small cracks from age); so i panic at first. i had to get an sticker by 12/1. i put the word out and am told "the going rate for an inspection sticker is $250.00". i decide to try another inspection station recommended by "mr. jag". the guy gives the car to his "assistant" to do the inspection. he puts the car on the lift looks around. goes to the tyres and turns them. THEY ROTATE. that seemed to be the extent of the undercarriage inspection. i turn the lights on for him. i pay my $60.00 and leave with my sticker. off to keep MVA happy.
Old 11-28-2002, 10:15 AM
calmone

dropped it off yesterday along with a replacement external filter from subaru and a trans-go shifter kit. i think they know what they're doing, when i put the trans-go kit on the counter the guy reached underneath and pulled out one too.
Old 11-28-2002, 09:23 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
dropped it off yesterday along with a replacement external filter from subaru and a trans-go shifter kit. i think they know what they're doing, when i put the trans-go kit on the counter the guy reached underneath and pulled out one too.
Good deal. So far, I have had flawless operation from my independent rebuild . . . well, after I figured out that the TCU was faulty. Hope you fare as well with yours.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 11-29-2002, 12:22 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Quote:
O.K., let me guess... his exact words were: "Excuse me, while I whip this out."
Old 11-29-2002, 08:23 AM
Subaru Swapper

Send a message via AIM to AFBeefcake
where did you get the trans-go shifter kit from?
Old 11-29-2002, 01:42 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Beav

O.K., let me guess... his exact words were: "Excuse me, while I whip this out."
"I get no kick from champagne. Mere alcohol doesn't thrill me at all, but I get a kick out of you." Sing along everyone. After this number, we're doing, "Da Camp Town ladies sing dis song . . ."
Subaru Ambassador