How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 11-13-2002, 02:32 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

O/T Isuzu Impulse AWD Turbo

The other day I was walking to a friends house and noticed a Impulse at a dealer thats the AWD Turbo Version. My Justy appears to be headed to someone who is desperately in need of a cheap reliable car (my good deed for the year) and I've been toying around the idea of this. Anybody have any knowledge of their reliablity, parts interchangability and such since it appears that Isuzu is on its 9th life and using a walker. The average sales per month by their dealerships is 9!!! Also, the thing has a decent body, ripped up interior and about 100k on it. Any thoughts on pricing? Its a fairly shady dealer so I would think it'd be fairly reasonable so I'm just trying to get ballpark. Wow, this would be my first roadworthy non-subaru auto product!
Old 11-13-2002, 02:55 PM
$VX

Weird weird car. I've only seen one. pretty neat I think, but I bet you parts are kinda hard to find. No idea though. Reliablity? no idea. Performance? No idea.

Glad I could help.

=- Ca$h
Old 11-13-2002, 03:00 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Hey Ben

Tale a look in my locker in the folder labeled SVX articles. The article labeled B4B has some performance specs for a '92 Impulse RS (Geo Storm look-alike). I don't know if this is the version of te Impulse you're looking at though.

Todd
Old 11-13-2002, 03:18 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: O/T Isuzu Impulse AWD Turbo

Quote:
Originally posted by benebob
The other day I was walking to a friends house and noticed a Impulse at a dealer thats the AWD Turbo Version. My Justy appears to be headed to someone who is desperately in need of a cheap reliable car (my good deed for the year) and I've been toying around the idea of this. Anybody have any knowledge of their reliablity, parts interchangability and such since it appears that Isuzu is on its 9th life and using a walker. The average sales per month by their dealerships is 9!!! Also, the thing has a decent body, ripped up interior and about 100k on it. Any thoughts on pricing? Its a fairly shady dealer so I would think it'd be fairly reasonable so I'm just trying to get ballpark. Wow, this would be my first roadworthy non-subaru auto product!
A friend (and coworker) has an Impulse RS (the AWD turbo version you speak of), so I just stepped over to his office and asked him your questions.

His has 140,000 miles on it and was well-maintained by the one previous owner. So far, after more than a year, he's really only had to do very typical stuff to the car. Water pump, timing belt, rotors, pads, etc. They seem very reliable.

Parts (the less common stuff, anyway) may get a little hard to find. Consumables are easy to get at Pep Boys or Autozone, but other stuff may have to be pulled from yards.

My friend paid $2,600 for his RS when he bought it last summer. But then, his is in really nice shape inside and out.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 11-13-2002, 07:13 PM
awdrocket92

I know that they are really fragile structuraly. the struts are excecively expencive and the rear link wear out fast just like the wheel bearing. A lot of them have sunroof leaks due to the weatherstrip and this part costs as much as the struts. the exhaust flange of the front pipe always leaks and the rotors warp faster than those of the svx.

on the other side their performance is fun and they have a few aftermarkets parts.

from my standpoint this car is a no,no and the parts are mostly available at the dealeship and they are getting rare.

all this is what happened to my moms car more than a few times and to others clients when i worked for isuzu.

Marty
Old 11-14-2002, 12:18 AM
Hitchhikin'

I always heard of these things being fast little sleeper cars. I may be wrong, though.
Old 11-14-2002, 03:20 AM

Thumbs up Italdesign

I like them very much, but there is no Isuzu Piazza/Impulse in Austria!?! I have never seen one.
Also from Italdesign like the SVX.
Maybe there were only a few left-hand drive Piazzas/Impulse made?

here is a link to some nice Piazzas

http://www.isuzuperformance.com/isup...ry/gimpjr.html

mfg hrc
Old 11-15-2002, 09:12 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
I forgot this car even existed. I looked it up on Google and found a couple really good links (see below). One site I found said that they only made about 800 of them. That sounds rediculously low and I'm thinking it may be a rally version he is referring to. The performance seems to be a little better than the SVX except for top speed. Loads of aftermarket stuff for them available but it seems like there aren't too many AWD donor cars around so it's probably far more rare than the SVX. Should be able to pick one up really cheap though.

http://www.kipanderson.net/rs/rs.htm
http://home.pipeline.com/~blackhole/bhphome.html

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 11-15-2002, 11:16 AM
Alcyone SVX LSL

I'd take one, looks like a nice car!!
Old 11-16-2002, 04:01 AM
Hater

the WRX videos on that site are cool! i can imagine the wife driving like that when i'm not around!!!

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 11-16-2002, 05:53 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
Quote:
Originally posted by Landshark
the WRX videos on that site are cool! i can imagine the wife driving like that when i'm not around!!!
LOL...Now there's an image!

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 11-16-2002, 09:52 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Landshark
I don't think that's really a WRX. It looks to me like a previous-gen Impreza WRC. You can hear the brakes and the gearbox and they sound just like the WRC car.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 11-16-2002, 04:26 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

I don't think that's really a WRX. It looks to me like a previous-gen Impreza WRC. You can hear the brakes and the gearbox and they sound just like the WRC car.
i kinda figured it wasn't the production model

1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)