How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2010, 01:22 PM

Send a message via AIM to redlinedeath Send a message via Yahoo to redlinedeath
first drive in over two years, trans problems.

alright, so i got the car back on the road for the first time in 2.5 years or so, after a trans replacement. problem is, it takes forever to shift, it will just hold for a while before it does, and when i got on it hard, WOT, it shifted at just under 4k rpm. So it doesnt like to shift, and when you want it to not shift, it shifts way early. any ideas?
Old 04-14-2010, 01:24 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: first drive in over two years, trans problems.

Check the throttle position sensor. Is it slipping and revving up or just holding gear forever?
Old 04-14-2010, 01:34 PM

just holding for ever. i was driving down my side road, 25mph speed limit, and it held first for a while. when i pulled on to a main street, wot and shifted way early.would low fluid cause that? it was good when i checked before i took it out and ran through the gears.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlinedeath View Post
alright, so i got the car back on the road for the first time in 2.5 years or so, after a trans replacement. problem is, it takes forever to shift, it will just hold for a while before it does, and when i got on it hard, WOT, it shifted at just under 4k rpm. So it doesnt like to shift, and when you want it to not shift, it shifts way early. any ideas?
Two questions, is this a professionally rebuilt trans or a used trans? (stock gears?)
Did you check for transmission trouble codes yet? Also trans fluid checks are best done after sitting at idle in park for approx. 30 minutes to get the trans fluid up to normal operating temp then run it through the gears. Go back to park and check it with engine still running for hot fluid level.

Edit: when I say "best done" it is more of my opinion since I can't back it up but know it won't hurt.

Last edited by sowise; 04-14-2010 at 03:57 PM.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:55 AM

ok, so got the car registered, and all of that. i checked trouble codes, and i got the tps code and left knock sensor code. the trans check came up clear though.

im confused with the knock sensor code, i replaced that sensor(which was a pain) and realized the tps sensor harness wasnt plugged in to the point of the harness clipping on, so i got that up all the way, and cleared the codes, and rechecked to make sure they were clear.

about 6 hours later, the CEL lit right back up, and i rechecked, it came up tps, knock sensor and pressure sensor. can anyone give me any advice? the trans still seems to be slightly slipping, like its sending power, but not 100% from any speed under medium and higher throttle, and doesnt shift when it should.

side note, none of my interior lights work, no dash lights and no dome lights or the button activated lights. i checked the fuses, and every last one works, and is the right amps.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:10 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlinedeath View Post
ok, so got the car registered, and all of that. i checked trouble codes, and i got the tps code and left knock sensor code. the trans check came up clear though.

im confused with the knock sensor code, i replaced that sensor(which was a pain) and realized the tps sensor harness wasnt plugged in to the point of the harness clipping on, so i got that up all the way, and cleared the codes, and rechecked to make sure they were clear.

about 6 hours later, the CEL lit right back up, and i rechecked, it came up tps, knock sensor and pressure sensor. can anyone give me any advice? the trans still seems to be slightly slipping, like its sending power, but not 100% from any speed under medium and higher throttle, and doesnt shift when it should.

side note, none of my interior lights work, no dash lights and no dome lights or the button activated lights. i checked the fuses, and every last one works, and is the right amps.
I wish I had seen this but I haven't been online since Thursday. I could have stopped on my way through last night to help figure some stuff out even though I was tired as hell and beat. I may be able to come down this weekend. I have to figure out what's all going on here as I just got back from Reading.

The TPS itself could be bad but did you disconnect the battery overnight after the Knock sensors and the TPS check? If not, that is suggestion NO. 1. If the transmission is slipping at all, I would try not to drive it too much until you get things sorted out.

Last edited by 1986nate; 04-21-2010 at 01:53 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:39 PM

i pulled it(tps) off a bit ago, and tried to clean it up with some electronic parts cleaner, but havnt had the chance to get it back on. the battery is out now, and has been since yesterday morning, as i was doing the spark plugs. that was a bit of a pain, lol.

heres where i am now, trans leaks like a mofo out of the rear tranny seal, which is my fault because it was slightly out of round, and thugh i thought to replace it, i didnt for some reason. 4 dollar part, getting put on tomorrow.

under little to no load, there is no slipping or anything of the sort. get on it even a little and its ok, till it goes to shift, where it holds and seems to slip. it also feels as if all the power isnt getting to the wheels, im not sure how to explain. im going to clear out the codes again tomorrow before i start it up, and see how it is then.

*side note* electrical issues, read my other thread on the tech q&a!
Old 04-20-2010, 09:27 PM

Registered SVX

Under lower throttle is it able to shift into all gears or which ones will it actually go into?
When you put more throttle, does it slip in all gears or is it only certain ones?

Basically, if you could outline in detail under what circumstances (current speed/throttle/etc) that it results in slipping that would help a lot.

Last edited by 1986nate; 04-21-2010 at 01:53 PM.