Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2002, 08:11 AM
Ticallion

I'm sick of these warping rotors!!

Does anyone have a price on cheap cheap rotors for front and rear for my 92? Thanks
-Ross
Old 11-01-2002, 08:18 AM
Alcyone SVX LSL

I was just looking at http://www.irotors.com/products/15-10.shtml and i put a post in the MOD section to see if anyone has tried them. $260 for all 4 sounds great to me.
Old 11-01-2002, 01:18 PM

Warped rotor solution

THE most important aspect of our warping rotor problem is the tightenig of the lug nuts!! USE A TORQUE WRENCH. If you loosen and re-tighten your lug nuts to 75 - 80 ft lbs (with the afore mentioned torque wrench ) you can *fix* your warped rotors by getting them hot a few times. It has worked for me after I let the knuckle-heads at the tire shop rotate the tires and tighten with their air wrenches ( and it is total BS that their torque rods work accurately ) My lug nuts would range from 120 to 80 ft lbs on the same wheel. Results: WARP

By the way a torque wrench is WAY cheaper than new rotors.

Try it you'll like it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
'80 Honda CBX in-line 24 valve 6 cylinder

Last edited by cbx-man; 12-11-2002 at 11:57 AM.
Old 11-02-2002, 01:32 AM
I hate stupid people!

Send a message via AIM to BoominSVX
Does this make sense to anyone else? Can you really straighten a set of rotors just by re-torching the wheel correctly? It does cause a sort of curiosity bubble deep in my mind. Maybe I will try this idea tomorrow just for poo's and giggels.
92 SVX LSL, Ebony Mica/Grey leather, K&N Cone, Pioneer Dehp-7300 premier, White Guages, Radar detector, Volfenhag VDX 12's, Memphis ST1000D digital amp, CompuSTAR 2000AS 2 way paging alarm with visual confirmation, and auto start. Cell Holder, Xenon (Ebay) bulbs in highs lows and fogs, Wire loom in engine bay, and a kitchen sink complete with soap dispensor and soap scum.
Old 11-02-2002, 12:16 PM
Ticallion

I find that your method would be completely useless in my case since you can actually see hot spots and areas where the rotors are VISIBLY warped. And i've torqued all my lugs to 100 ft lbs when i last installed my wheels with my dad's snap-on torque wrench.
Old 11-02-2002, 02:35 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally posted by Ticallion
....i've torqued all my lugs to 100 ft lbs when i last installed my wheels....
supposed to be 72-87 ft-lbs. i do 75.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 11-02-2002, 08:02 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Warped rotor solution

Quote:
Originally posted by cbx-man
THE most important aspect of our warping rotor problem is the tightenig of the lug nuts!! USE A TORQUE WRENCH. If you loosen and re-tighten your lug nuts to 75 - 80 ft lbs (with the afore mentioned torque wrench ) you can *fix* your warped rotors by getting them hot a few times. It has worked for me after I let the knuckle-heads at the tire shop rotate the tires and tighten with their air wrenches ( and it is total BS that their torque rods work accurately ) Mine lug nuts would range from 120 to 80 ft lbs on the same wheel. Results: WARP

By the way a torque wrench is WAY cheaper than new rotors.

Try it you'll like it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
it wont cure one, warped from other causes, BUT they will warp from uneven torquing. Mine just had it's 100k service, I noticed that it had a slight out of ballance and then a slight warping. Got home retorqued the wheel nuts, both problems disapeared.
It could be different with different wheels.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 11-02-2002, 10:13 PM
I hate stupid people!

Send a message via AIM to BoominSVX
I just gave that re-torching idea a try and guess what? It worked. I went out and brought it up to 90 a few times. When I hit the brake, I brought it down to where the brakes start to feel like they are just beginning to loose stopping power, and when I got home, they were straight. I think it actually re-aligned them. I know I may very well be talking about something that is not likely, but it was wobbling right up until the 3rd stop. Then it just went away. Thanks guys. You helped me out once again.
92 SVX LSL, Ebony Mica/Grey leather, K&N Cone, Pioneer Dehp-7300 premier, White Guages, Radar detector, Volfenhag VDX 12's, Memphis ST1000D digital amp, CompuSTAR 2000AS 2 way paging alarm with visual confirmation, and auto start. Cell Holder, Xenon (Ebay) bulbs in highs lows and fogs, Wire loom in engine bay, and a kitchen sink complete with soap dispensor and soap scum.
Old 11-03-2002, 06:47 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Well geeez...and all these years we've been cutting them. Now I know I just need to go out and abuse the hell outta my customer's car to fix it. YMMV Glad it worked for y'all
Old 11-06-2002, 05:03 PM
Ticallion

You know what? I friggin hate you for being right.
I put my snow rims and tires on my car two days ago, and torqued all lugs to 100FTLBS. The front warping is nonexistant, but the rear is still a bit prominent once the rotors warm up.
So, thanks! you saved me $12 for resurfacing the front rotor now I just gotta swap the rear with a resurfaced one, and i'm set to go!
Old 11-07-2002, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ticallion
You know what? I friggin hate you for being right.
I put my snow rims and tires on my car two days ago, and torqued all lugs to 100FTLBS. The front warping is nonexistant, but the rear is still a bit prominent once the rotors warm up.
So, thanks! you saved me $12 for resurfacing the front rotor now I just gotta swap the rear with a resurfaced one, and i'm set to go!
The rear rotors should be less prone to warping; you might be having a problem with over-tightening. 100 ft lbs is TOO tight!
75-80 ft lbs is what is recommended. Remember that heat causes metal to expand... if the lugs are too tight the "hat" on the rotor can't move the very small amounts it needs to move (evenly) to keep everything aligned. Which is exactly what causes unevenly torqued wheels to warp the rotors- the tightest lug will not move and the others will UNEVENLY.

IT'S ALL ABOUT THE LOVE OF THE SVX!
'80 Honda CBX in-line 24 valve 6 cylinder
Old 11-21-2002, 11:29 AM
Ticallion

YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOOO!! Found a rotor for $52 Canadian (the shop selling them for $25/peice were full of ****).... installed it a couple of days ago, and no more vibration!!!!!!! WWWWOOOOOOOO!!!

However, now my rear driver wheel bearing is shot :S
Old 11-26-2002, 03:12 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Andy
Just had by baby in for a service. The mechanic said that he would be taking off the wheels to check the brakes, so as I have a bad brake judder, I told him about the comments in this thread and got him to torque the nuts as suggested.

After a week I have been able to get the car of my wife this evening and yippee, after a good thrash there is no judder at all.

So thanks for the advice, another result for the combined minds on the SVX WORLD NETWORK

Andy
Old 11-26-2002, 06:33 PM
nevermind65

Place to get rotors

The place I get rotors from has the front for $50 each and the rear are the same price. No tax if you live out of Ohio. He also carries Axxis pads for front and rear. I think they were about $50/set.

He has vented rear rotors if you can make them fit. I couldn't.

Car Parts Warehouse 216.676.5100 ask for Chris tell him Ron sent you.
Old 11-26-2002, 07:36 PM

After installing the 5sp. in my svx I never again experienced brake fade, even when braking from speeds over 100mph. I'm guessing the combination of reduced weight and lower gears (an aid for the car in engine braking) must have been the hot ticket