Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 10-29-2002, 08:17 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
XT6 Potential

I have the opportunity to buy a 1991 XT6 but I don't know how much one would be worth. It's a private sale and KBB says approx USD$2200.

Quote:
Description : 1991 SUBARU XT 6 4X4, all wheel drive, loaded, great stereo, great condition inside and out, perfect for all seasons, 199,007 kms, CAD$2,200.
199,007kms = 124,000mi
CAD$2,200 = USD$1375

Does anyone think I should jump on this one?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 37477.jpg (8.7 KB, 177 views)
Old 10-29-2002, 08:23 AM
Alcyone SVX LSL

i would get it...
Old 10-29-2002, 08:41 AM

I don't know what condition it is in but I would try to talk them down. When I was selling my XT6 no one wanted to come look at it. These people might be having the same problem?

I sold my 88 last night. Finally! I only got 1500 but that is still 600 more than I paid for it.

I feel a lot more like I do now then I did before.

92 SVX 5spd, (sold),92 SVX Teal, 67 Mustang 351C 5spd, 00 Galant.
Old 10-29-2002, 12:54 PM

Send a message via AIM to Paisan Send a message via Yahoo to Paisan
I got $1500 for my '88 w/bad suspension, 90K miles and great condition otherwise. Very hard to sell em. My '91 I had to raffle off to get $2K for it. It later sold by the person who won it for $1500 with 130K miles.

I'd try to get it for $1K if I were looking at one.

-mike
Old 10-29-2002, 03:58 PM
Porter

I just bought Paisan's old one... needs a timing belt but otherwise in "fun" shape.

They have potential.
Old 10-29-2002, 05:49 PM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
If it's still got the air suspension, offer them $1200CAD, if it's allready been converted off them $1800CAD, and see if they bite.
If it's been converted, and is a 5-speed and in overall good shape it might be worth what they're asking(but they'll probably come down some).
If it's an Auto, keep in mind it has the 4EAT just like the SVX and it's the first version they had, could be a bad combo, though my last XT6 had the auto and it was fine when I sold it at 135k miles, so who knows.
They are a fun car that goes like a tank in the snow.
Definitely a lotta fun for the buck.
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 10-29-2002, 06:44 PM

Check the suspension first. If its in good condition its what makes the car special. I sold my 89 XT6 earlier this year. I could fix the suspension...lot of o-rings, but the thing that got me was the rust. Usual spots...above the tire on the fender wells, in front of the rear tire at the XT6 logo, front fender where it meets the door near the ground, underneath the mud flaps and along the underneath where you put the jack running from the front to back.
04 VW Beetle GLS
Old 10-29-2002, 06:53 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I'm going to take a look at it in the morning. I hope it's a 5spd (it wasn't mentioned). Wasn't there also something someone mentioned about the heads cracking? (3 different versions)

This would be a winter car for me as I'm thinking that the Justy may not be worth the 2 new front axles it needs. It's still a fun car to drive in the snow though!!!
Old 10-29-2002, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Earthworm
I'm going to take a look at it in the morning. I hope it's a 5spd (it wasn't mentioned). Wasn't there also something someone mentioned about the heads cracking? (3 different versions)
No, the XT6's didn't have a problem with cracked heads, it was the 1.8 Turbo motor that was prone to cracked head, by the 3rd generation head they pretty much had it fixed.
But the 2.7 in the XT6 didn't have that problem.
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
Old 10-29-2002, 07:36 PM
Meow!

Quote:
Originally posted by huck369
No, the XT6's didn't have a problem with cracked heads, it was the 1.8 Turbo motor that was prone to cracked head, by the 3rd generation head they pretty much had it fixed.
But the 2.7 in the XT6 didn't have that problem.
Groovy!

Thanks for the info. Still going to see the car tomorrow morning.
Old 10-29-2002, 08:26 PM

(hope the guy I sold mine to doesn't read this but....)

I volunteered for a rally race last year. After the cars passed by in one direction it was like 5 hrs before they came back soooo we took off in our cars (me in my XT6 and another guy in a 2.5rs) to make a long story short I had to drop back intentionally so that I could have fun. The XT6 was faster. I had to make sure so I asked the guy if he was driving hard. His reply was, "as hard as I could" He suddenly got interested in the xt6. I nearly burned a tank of gas running back and forth on our stage.

Mike

I feel a lot more like I do now then I did before.

92 SVX 5spd, (sold),92 SVX Teal, 67 Mustang 351C 5spd, 00 Galant.
Old 10-30-2002, 06:09 AM

Send a message via AIM to Paisan Send a message via Yahoo to Paisan
The ATs are fine in the XT6 cause the XT6 is light and almost 100hp less than the SVX. I pushed my 4EAT one hard and never had tranny problems.

Definitely look at the suspension. Even if it is an air suspension get it cheaper and then drop $500 into it and convert it. I have done it several times already.

-mike
Old 10-30-2002, 01:19 PM
Meow!

Well I just went and took a look at it. The owner wasn't home though. It's a 5spd

I took a look at the suspension but unfortunately I don't know what the air suspension looks like. To me it looks like regular struts.

I'm actually unsure about the mileage. It says 99000 on the dash but I also found out this car is a US model from the state of Washington. I hope it doesn't have 199000 miles.

As for rust, I didn't see any but I did notice a line of oil on the ground near the front parallel to the bumper. Would that be front engine seals? rack?
Old 10-30-2002, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Earthworm
Well I just went and took a look at it. The owner wasn't home though. It's a 5spd

I took a look at the suspension but unfortunately I don't know what the air suspension looks like. To me it looks like regular struts.

I'm actually unsure about the mileage. It says 99000 on the dash but I also found out this car is a US model from the state of Washington. I hope it doesn't have 199000 miles.

As for rust, I didn't see any but I did notice a line of oil on the ground near the front parallel to the bumper. Would that be front engine seals? rack?
Cool the 5-speeds have the "diff lock" button that locks the center diff to a 50/50 split front/rear which is great in snow and ice.

If the struts had visable springs then it's already been converted, the air system doesn't have any springs.

The mileage on the US ones have a digit for 100,000, so if it had 199,000 , it should have said that.

The line of oil in the front does sound like the front seals, which isn't to bad if you do them yourself, I think both timing belts and all 3 front seals run about $100 US for the parts, add labor if you don't do your own. If it were the rack leaking it would be farther back than the front of the motor, about the back of the motor.

Hope this has been helpful,
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
Old 10-30-2002, 03:33 PM
Meow!

Huck, do you have a picture of the springs on your XT-6. I'm going to take another look on sunday and I would like to know exactly what to look for.

I'm thinking of going as high as around $1500 if it has the air system. I will also need to clarify whether or not it has 99,000 or 199,000 miles.