Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 10-15-2002, 11:32 AM

Gasoline

FYI--According the the History channel, 95 percent of the piplines are fungible....meaning generic. So basically all of the gas produced is the same whether you buy shell, texaco or whatever. The only difference is in the additives that are put in the gasoline just prior to delivery to the service stations.

Just thought it was interesting.

Many of you probably knew this!

I feel a lot more like I do now then I did before.

92 SVX 5spd, (sold),92 SVX Teal, 67 Mustang 351C 5spd, 00 Galant.
Old 10-15-2002, 12:42 PM
SVX Black Belt Master

So are you saying, "Buy cheap gas. There's no difference anyway."? Or are you saying, "The difference is in the additives - and what a difference it makes!"?

I'M SO CONFUSED!

(Don't worry about it. I've been this way a looong time.)
'02 Black Sapphire Volvo V40, 133K - "Shadowfax"
'06 Triumph Tiger, 19K
'99 Suzuki DR350SE, 8.5K - "Geezer Killer"
<*}}}}>< ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ><{{{{*>
Old 10-15-2002, 01:29 PM
$VX

Buy MOBIL. I got 30-40 more MPG in the neon. I have no idea with the svx, it gets crappy mpg all the time.

- Ca$h
Old 10-15-2002, 01:34 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by $VX
Buy MOBIL. I got 30-40 more MPG in the neon. I have no idea with the svx, it gets crappy mpg all the time.

- Ca$h
Do you mean 30-40 more MPT? (miles per tank) 30-40 more MPG would essentially mean you are doubling your fuel economy for that car, getting like 80 miles per gallon.

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...
Old 10-15-2002, 01:48 PM
$VX

Err. Yeah. Miles per tank. Sorry.

- Ca$h
Old 10-15-2002, 01:55 PM

Talking

wasions----I buy the expensive cheap stuff. In other words I get the most octane I can get for the cheapest money. I am not a big believer in additives. But hey, thats just me.

Old 10-15-2002, 03:31 PM
I_Alcyone_I

I only take my car to texaco (Shell now), luckily where I live they have some of the better priced gas too. Arco gas is not just like every other gas, do not take your car to Arco.
Old 10-15-2002, 03:44 PM
Hater

i'm sure everyone knows this, but if not.....don't buy gas from somewhere where a tanker truck is filling the station. the process of filling the tanks stirs all the crud from the bottom and it goes in your car.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 10-15-2002, 08:32 PM

Do you "need" additives?

Couple of assumptions: 1) oil doesn't have much affect above the top ring, 2) "pure" gasoline is a better solvent than lubricant, and 3) gasoline contains unstable components that lead to deposit formation in high temperature areas in the induction system such as injector nozzles or valve stems - mostly from the 'heavier" components since the lighter ones evaporate away when the engine is stopped.

So why additives?

Lead used to be the prime lubricant in fuel. But those days are long gone. Not sure how long various "detergents" have been used. So what lubricates the valves, AND keeps the deposits from clogging injectors and sticky rings? Only thing left is the additive package.

I'm not a chemical/automotive engineer - don't know what's in those additives - but it's gotta be tough to balance detergents with lubrication - normally mortal enemies.

So, IMHO, buying the cheapest stuff with a bad detergent package only risks need for the occasional fuel system cleaner. Buying the cheapest without a good lube additive risks valve recession in the head - who remembers aluminum heads without hardened or steel valve seats when lead was phased out?
Old 10-15-2002, 11:13 PM
SVX Black Belt Master

Cool We're like, twins, you and me.

Quote:
Originally posted by AutoTchr
wasions----I buy the expensive cheap stuff. In other words I get the most octane I can get for the cheapest money. I am not a big believer in additives. But hey, thats just me.
Ditto here. What I don't much care for though, is this new game where all three strengths go through one hose. If I'm gonna pay 10 to 20 cents more than the last guy at the pump, I want that hose full of high test!
'02 Black Sapphire Volvo V40, 133K - "Shadowfax"
'06 Triumph Tiger, 19K
'99 Suzuki DR350SE, 8.5K - "Geezer Killer"
<*}}}}>< ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ><{{{{*>
Old 10-15-2002, 11:46 PM
Green1995SVX

I've become quite fond of Sunoco. They have a seperate hose for their 94 gas, which my car really loves. It is sometimes different to find their gas stations though. Luckelly the turnpike is lined with Sunoco Stations.

Mike
Old 10-16-2002, 06:24 AM

Send a message via AIM to Paisan Send a message via Yahoo to Paisan
More importantly than any of these "theories" is that you should buy from a gas station that has:

1) New Tanks: Old tanks leak and let in impurities, this is VERY VERY BAD for your car

2) High Turnover: You want a station that is getting fresh gas often, the longer the fuel sits in the ground the more likely it will pickup impurities etc.

-mike
Old 10-16-2002, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Landshark
i'm sure everyone knows this, but if not.....don't buy gas from somewhere where a tanker truck is filling the station. the process of filling the tanks stirs all the crud from the bottom and it goes in your car.
Good point that I never thought of!

Old 10-16-2002, 08:23 AM

Re: Do you "need" additives?

Quote:
Originally posted by lee
Couple of assumptions: 1) oil doesn't have much affect above the top ring, 2) "pure" gasoline is a better solvent than lubricant, and 3) gasoline contains unstable components that lead to deposit formation in high temperature areas in the induction system such as injector nozzles or valve stems - mostly from the 'heavier" components since the lighter ones evaporate away when the engine is stopped.

So why additives?

Lead used to be the prime lubricant in fuel. But those days are long gone. Not sure how long various "detergents" have been used. So what lubricates the valves, AND keeps the deposits from clogging injectors and sticky rings? Only thing left is the additive package.

I'm not a chemical/automotive engineer - don't know what's in those additives - but it's gotta be tough to balance detergents with lubrication - normally mortal enemies.

So, IMHO, buying the cheapest stuff with a bad detergent package only risks need for the occasional fuel system cleaner. Buying the cheapest without a good lube additive risks valve recession in the head - who remembers aluminum heads without hardened or steel valve seats when lead was phased out?
Lee, You may have had different experiences, but I have never fixed a car with fuel injector cleaner. Any fuel injection work that I have done has involved replacement. Maybe becuase I am always concerned about comebacks and cleaner (if it works) is temporary at the least. Now in support of your comments, I think that you may have a point about the additives. But be careful, it can be as much of a marketing ploy as anything else. Slightly O/T but I have a friend that does some advertising for a guy that makes custom putters. This guy says that the more he charges for his putters, the more he sells.........

Old 10-16-2002, 08:30 AM

wasions-----The video did explain that the fuel that gets mixed goes to a seperate storage where it is sold to a market where it does not matter.

I wonder if this is true or if this is what the oil companies want you to believe??? I guess it would matter where the testing for octane occures. At the pump, or at the refinery.