Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Proven Engine Enhancements

Old 03-02-2012, 07:56 PM

STiLtd683's SVX build: Opinions and advice wanted

Hey everyone,

After more than a year of being down, it is time for me to rebuild my SVX. Due to other distractions, namely school, my parts knowledge has become a bit rusty. So I thought I would run my engine plans past the community. I'm not planning anything too aggressive. I'd like a reliable, CA legal EG33 with a bit more spunk than stock. I am not interested in a forced induction build at the moment. I'm taking things slow as I only want to build the block once. Please don't hesitate to chime in.

Pistons:
My bore is currently out of round, so regardless of performance gain I will need to pick up pistons. I am planning on picking up a set of CP pistons. My debate is how big. I know that a few people, such as NeedForSpeed, have talked about putting EJ25 pistons in an EG33. I wouldn't mind going this route as I have to bore and hone anyway. If anyone has any input on whether this is a feasible way to go or if I should just get slightly oversized pistons then I would love to hear it.

Rods:
I am debating between stock STi rods and Eagle rods. I can get a set of STi rods for a decent price so I am leaning that way.

Bearings:
I'm pretty much set on ACL bearings for rods and mains.

Cams:
I spoke with the guys at Delta cams and they said they have a a few EG33 profiles. One of which will provide a mild performance increase while still allowing me to pass smog. If there any other options out there please throw them out.

Gaskets and studs:
I'll be purchasing a OEM gasket set. I am also considering grabbing some Cometic headgaskets and ARP head studs. I am not sure whether or not these precautions are necessary.

Engine management:
Seems like a kit from ECUtune is one of the few options. I'm not sure how well this would work with my proposed build and I was hoping for input. I'd be willing to grab a stage 2 kit if I knew it would work. And if anyone has any information on any tuneable kits I would love to hear it.

This is as far as I've gotten. I imagine I'll need an intake and exhaust system. I'm also planning on a manual swap. But, I'll worry about these after I have the block put together.

Thanks in advance for helping.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:01 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: STiLtd683's SVX build: Opinions and advice wanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by STiLtd683 View Post
Pistons:
My bore is currently out of round, so regardless of performance gain I will need to pick up pistons. I am planning on picking up a set of CP pistons. My debate is how big. I know that a few people, such as NeedForSpeed, have talked about putting EJ25 pistons in an EG33. I wouldn't mind going this route as I have to bore and hone anyway. If anyone has any input on whether this is a feasible way to go or if I should just get slightly oversized pistons then I would love to hear it.
You cannot just put EJ25 pisdons in an EG33. Needforspeed and I discussed it and I don't remember exactly why, but you'd have to get pistons made even if the bore is the same as the EJ25 bore. I think it had something to do with the valve cutout angles or something. The cylinder walls can take that much, but I wouldn't feel comfortable boosting it, because the cylinders would be a bit thinner. Still, it's not that much meat off of them, they might be fine.

Cometic headgaskets can't hurt, but the ARP studs would be unnecessary without FI.

STi rods are lighter than the eagles, and strong enough, go with those.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 03-02-2012, 09:12 PM

You simplified a few things for me. My machinist seems to think he can get some 0.02 over CP pistons for ~$650 so I'll plan on going with those and STi rods and cometic gaskets. Thanks for the input.

Last edited by STiLtd683; 03-02-2012 at 09:16 PM.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:48 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
You simplified a few things for me. My machinist seems to think he can get some 0.02 over CP pistons for ~$650 so I'll plan on going with those and STi rods and cometic gaskets. Thanks for the input.
THAT is cheap!
"How cheap is that, Johnny?"
Waiting....
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 03-02-2012, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles View Post
THAT is cheap!
"How cheap is that, Johnny?"
Waiting....
He's a really, really good machinist

I'm not 100% sure on that price but he does do some machining for a local guy that specializes in putting EG33's in vanagons. So I am hoping he can get them at that price.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:56 PM
There's a storm coming.

By the way,
icingdeath88 has a post/thread that gives good information;
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...t=engine+build

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 03-02-2012, 10:00 PM
There's a storm coming.

Quote:
He's a really, really good machinist

I'm not 100% sure on that price but he does do some machining for a local guy that specializes in putting EG33's in vanagons. So I am hoping he can get them at that price.
Middle Aged Tom, (no not YT) has access to CP pistons for less than $900.00.
for a set of six.
He also has Cometic head gaskets and ACL bearings as well.
I would buy the all aluminum rod bearings from LAN, but they are $200, rather than $100.00, and the customer is always right.

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 03-02-2012, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Middle Aged Tom, (no not YT) has access to CP pistons for less than $900.00.
for a set of six.
He also has Cometic head gaskets and ACL bearings as well.
I would buy the all aluminum rod bearings from LAN, but they are $200, rather than $100.00, and the customer is always right.
Thanks for the info. Any chance you have a link?
Old 03-02-2012, 10:05 PM
There's a storm coming.

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Any chance you have a link?
--

Take a minute and LIKE TurboTek on Facebook !
http://www.facebook.com/TurbotekTuning

Message me directly on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/TURBOTEKTom

Tom Delawder
TURBOTEK Tuning
Sales / Tuning Manager
(c) 24O-92O-7OO3

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 03-02-2012, 10:19 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
I haven't been able to find another source of aluminum bearings other than LAN, and I haven't asked him yet. I would rather have the aluminum ones as well, but the ACL ones should do fine for what you're trying to do.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Old 03-02-2012, 10:29 PM
There's a storm coming.

BTW, Middle Aged Tom has ACL mains for $140.00.

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 03-02-2012, 10:45 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX

Hydra EMS still available and most basic version starting at 1200, best set up for the SVX would be the Stage III at 1700 for OBDI or 1800 for OBDII this includes base map and it's plug and play and allows for live tuning and one of the most versatile stand alones out there.

Optional wideband and many other options including CAN box to interface with OBDII port for emissions readiness. Check the thread out or visit Hydra's Website

Also I spoke with the guys at JE at SEMA and they have custom set ups for the EG33 that they sell all day long to Impreza guys doing the swap. Just another option that has yet to really been discussed. I also spoke with the guys at CP and they have a couple set ups for the SVX and can also do custom one off sets to your needs.

There are a lot of possibilities for this car and a lot of manufacturers willing to work with us on parts for the SVX. I spoke with Darton Sleeves and they would love to do up a set of sleeves for anyone and have made some for the EG33 already. I've made contacts with people over the past few years at SEMA and other auto shows, many are familiar with the SVX or the EG33 others are not but are excited for new projects. Granted there are a few that want ridiculous buy ins such as Brembo etc. However they are not all like that.

As far as cams are concerned Dany Eid or "SilverSpear" has a source for fresh ground new cams at whatever profile you would like for your application. These are brand new cams, not a regrind. Contact him for more info and pricing.

Just my .02
Old 03-02-2012, 10:54 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnybeas View Post
I spoke with Darton Sleeves and they would love to do up a set of sleeves for anyone and have made some for the EG33 already.
With some sleeves you could bore it out however much you want....

Old 03-03-2012, 06:14 PM

Quote:
BTW, Middle Aged Tom has ACL mains for $140.00.
I sent him a message on facebook Thanks again.

And thanks for the input Johnny. Unfortunately, I think a hydra setup and aggressive cams are farther than I'd like to go. My goal is to stay street legal and not to make the lady too upset with my budget.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:53 PM

Alas, my machinists price was too good to be true. Turns out they were some goofy Ej22t pistons that had a big dip in the center.