Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2011, 09:20 AM

How much trouble will this turn into? (Rear Differential)

I should start by confessing I love my SVX, but I'm a bad owner. I take regular care, but nothing special. I forget these SVX sites exist until something goes wrong. Just last week I was considering a needed paint job and shrugged it off, and apparently that was too much insult, because today I learned that what I thought sounded and felt like a sticking brake was actually a self-destructing rear differential.

Now I know that could be worse, but I'm wondering if it actually might be worse? Any chance that a bad differential messed up anything else along the transmission? And how bad is it to find parts these days? (I haven't had to think about finding anything in like 6 years.)

It's a 96 LSi with about 165k and before I ask the mechanic to call around junkyards looking for the part, I wanted to get any relevant information from experts here so my head is on straight. Much appreciated.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:18 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Re: How much trouble will this turn into? (Rear Differential)

"It's just Eric" is close to you and may still have a stock rear diff. I'm not sure how to contact him though... If not and you can wait, Nate is heading to Jersey by the end of the month.

And to answer your question, the tranny shouldn't be affected by the rear diff. Are all your tires the matching?

Last edited by Hocrest; 08-16-2011 at 10:21 AM.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocrest View Post
Are all your tires the matching?
Yes ... ? I've been asking myself that, trying to recall if one was losing air, etc. A few years ago while at a junkyard to replace the windshield I thought it would be smart to buy an extra wheel to be a full-size spare. So now I'm trying to remember if it's been rotated in or if I would even have used it enough to cause an issue.

The car's not with me at the moment but I'm fairly certain they're all the same Sumitomos now and would have been for the last 10k miles. That they've worn evenly is something I can't swear to though and it's bothering me.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:43 AM

Registered SVX

I believe I still have a stock rear diff complete that I could bring with me. I don't believe Eric has anymore at all. I'll be out in the area the last 5 days of August here coming up.
It shouldn't have messed up anything else in the transmission. I'm curious if the gears went or the LSD. Was it low on fluid, or empty? I know I've seen some that are pretty leaky. I could probably even change the differential out for you if needed, as long as you have driveway space, in just a couple hours.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:54 AM

Thanks Nate, but my mechanic found one that would enable him to be done by the weekend and he's reasonably confident. If that goes afoul I can try to contact you.

As for the how, (this is where the "bad owner" part comes in) I did have a transmission code for a duty solenoid. I'd asked the dealer and they said $2400 to replace, which I responded to by flushing the fluid and ignoring it. Probably not the smartest approach, but it does seem like a possible explanation.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:07 AM

Registered SVX

No way a solenoid should be that much. A solenoid can be replaced without removing the transmission. I believe a new solenoid would be about $300 and about the same amount for the labor would be more in line. At the very worst and most expensive shop if they're doing it as they should, should easily stay under $1000. Almost sounds like they're quoting for a new valve body and solenoids and not just the one solenoid needed.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:20 AM

I didn't think it was reasonable either. The only thing I ever used that dealer for was bearings, which were themselves an arm and a leg but I felt it was more their domain than your average repair.

So what should I be watching for now to ensure the differential problem wasn't a behavior-caused issue I'm destined to repeat? If the tires are matched and properly inflated, and no codes are on, then I should be relatively safe, right?

Thanks for the answers, btw.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:01 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm

If it's for sure the diff that's toast, open it up after it's out and see if there's anything obviously wrong. It's not common for these to go bad.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:46 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

I agree with David. It is very rare for a rear diff to have trouble. Are you sure it is not just a binding transfer clutch?

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:21 AM

Hmm, how would I know? I didn't experience any power problems. The symptoms were an easily-ignored "shhhhh" sound, followed by a feint burning rubber smell in the middle of a long drive, and then once back from said drive (when it was obvious something was wrong) the drag was sufficient to overcome idle engine speed so that I couldn't pull away from a light without giving gas.

This led me to mistakenly conclude it was a stuck brake. The only counter-sign (after stopping to test by applying then releasing the parking brake) was a bit of a clunk on accelerating, and that was not an experiment I was anxious to repeat. When the shop looked the next morning they said unambiguously that it was the differential, which I assume was obvious from boiled-over fluid.

I have asked them to triple-check that the differential was the cause and not a symptom, and I have reasonable trust in their competence, but obviously I'm afraid of replacing a differential now and learning I need a whole transmission in 2 months.

Last edited by Amarsir; 08-18-2011 at 06:03 AM.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:07 AM

Registered SVX

Have you tried just draining the fluids and seeing what comes out? If its clumpy then you know that you rear diff is trashed.

"Wait...your grill...is that chicken wire?"
Old 08-18-2011, 09:26 AM

yeah, i agree with jcimos. you should pull the plugs and look at the fluid. how much is this shop charging for this job? is it a subaru oriented shop? i have never heard of a svx rear going bad exept if it was run without gear lube.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:48 AM

No, it's a general shop, whose primary benefits are being within walking distance and a $75 hour rate. He did come recommended, though I've only used him once before personally. TBH I probably wouldn't have gone there had I suspected a transmission-related issue up front, but I don't distrust him enough to pull it back after diagnosis.

The big expense is the part, $770. It's about 3 hours labor plus he's also doing a belt for me so I don't know exact. I guess I could ask to inspect the fluid personally, I'm just not knowledgeable enough to second-guess anyone.

Also doesn't the solenoid regulate the fluid pressure? So if it was busted, couldn't that potentially have led to under-lubrication?
Old 08-19-2011, 11:27 PM

$770 for the part?
where is he getting that? do yourself a favor and come down to my shop this week and ill check the rear diff fluid out for you free of charge. also, there is no electronics going to or coming from the rear diff. its all mechanical in there. wow
Old 08-20-2011, 06:27 AM
Happy SVX

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxpert View Post
$770 for the part?
where is he getting that? do yourself a favor and come down to my shop this week and ill check the rear diff fluid out for you free of charge. also, there is no electronics going to or coming from the rear diff. its all mechanical in there. wow
Take SVXpert up on that offer, I guarantee he knows way more about the SVX than your mechanic. If it turns out you need a rear differential then post a request in the "parts wanted" section of the forum. I am sure someone can sell you a known good used one for a lot less than that. Here are two current on eBay, the first one is what I would expect to pay the second I would consider priced very high but still a lot cheaper than what you were quoted.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/92-97...item19c6545838

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/92-97...item19c6622e0d
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007