SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-14-2011, 07:47 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX
Electric RAM air

http://www.superchargerswarehouse.co...Superchargers/

Has anyone seen this before? It looks like a load of crap BUT, if you upgrade the injectors and MAF, this should buy you SOMETHING, right?

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 07-14-2011, 08:02 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Electric RAM air

No
this is so full of fail
Old 07-14-2011, 09:42 PM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX

Our product is able to produce 80+ horsepower by harnessing the power of maaaagic! Buy now!
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 07-14-2011, 09:54 PM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

Bad Tony - no cookie.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:33 AM

Registered SVX

Believable I guess. Any air you force into the motor( ram induction, shaker hood,etc. ) worked. Eliminating the air cleaner alone would increase power but ruin the motor with the grit it inhaled. The fan requires voltage and that requires the alternator to be loaded so the statement is incorrect that it does not add load. The "works under full power" statement sort of says you will never know if it is or is not working. Now if you could hook a switch so you could turn it on at say 2000 rpm and fell the car speed up then I would believe it. Snake Oil comes in a lot of different size and shape bottles <LOL>
Old 07-15-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetItSnow View Post
Bad Tony - no cookie.
______________________ ___________________
Old 07-15-2011, 12:18 PM
Network Design Administrator

But they Dynoed it!

Quote:
Dyno results put the skeptics to rest. Our Supercharger kits are one of the most cost effective upgrades anyone can make to their vehicle.

Our dyno sheet shows that from the time we moved the throttle off of idle to the time we reached the peak of the RPM range, the horsepower and torque gains were consistent throughout the entire power band. That translates into a substantial difference and noticeable power increase when you get behind the wheel. Our supercharger setups respond well to additional modifications and you can expect your horsepower numbers to climb even higher if you're pairing our supercharger kit with other bolt-on performance parts.
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:21 PM

From the install guide:

Quote:
For the intake assemble, you need to make sure the intake is inside the intake.
Wut?
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)

Old 07-15-2011, 12:25 PM

Uh what? Your sales page says +80HP...

Quote:
5.How much HP gain can I expect?
Answer: Gains on stock 4 cylinder to heavily modified 8 cylinder engines have yielded 4-6% increases. That's 5-15HP depending on your base flywheel HP. If you are removing a stock air-box, gains for cool air tubes and cone filters are up to 5HP by themselves. The RAM with its 5-15 HP adds to ALL OTHER MODIFICATIONS, so with an intake tube will give over 20 HP of total gain for the RAM + intake system.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:59 PM
Either committed, or should be

Send a message via ICQ to thumper_svx Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_svx
Registered SVX

Haha... yeah, I've seen these things floating around for years. The classic "hairdryer supercharger". I remember ranting on these things on Usenet back in the day

Seriously... do you know how much air an engine actually swallows? If you do the math and figure out the volume of air you have to push into the engine to overcome the blockage you've just created by putting your "hairdryer" in there and then pump MORE air into the intake, you find that the power requirements for said motor must be ridiculous in order to provide any gains at anything above idle. Once you factor that power has to come from SOMEWHERE, you've then also got to install a much bigger (and draggier) alternator to provide the power, then up the boost in order to overcome the parasitic losses... and then you have to figure the volume of incoming air all over again. Ad nauseum. Etc.

There's a reason that mechanical superchargers work well; they don't suffer from energy losses through heat to nearly the extent that electric motors do. As a result, their efficiency is FAR higher than any electric motor could hope for... plus it's pretty much directly attached to the engine for almost zero loss of torque from the turning engine. Turbos work because it's "free energy", i.e. energy that you're throwing out the back of the car already.

I have never actually tried one, but every time I've seen these things advertised I just whip out my calculator and pocket protector then laugh

My Rides:
Red 1996 SVX LSi (Saffron)
2007 Yamaha FJR1300 (Kaitlin)

Previously owned; green '95 L AWD (sold), black/pearlie '94 LSi (too many problems), Polo Green '96 SVX LSi (apparently notThe end of an era)

Member #2 in the Yahoo! club, been here since the beta-testing days. In dire need of a cheaper hobby.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:51 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper_svx View Post
Haha... yeah, I've seen these things floating around for years. The classic "hairdryer supercharger". I remember ranting on these things on Usenet back in the day

Seriously... do you know how much air an engine actually swallows? If you do the math and figure out the volume of air you have to push into the engine to overcome the blockage you've just created by putting your "hairdryer" in there and then pump MORE air into the intake, you find that the power requirements for said motor must be ridiculous in order to provide any gains at anything above idle. Once you factor that power has to come from SOMEWHERE, you've then also got to install a much bigger (and draggier) alternator to provide the power, then up the boost in order to overcome the parasitic losses... and then you have to figure the volume of incoming air all over again. Ad nauseum. Etc.

There's a reason that mechanical superchargers work well; they don't suffer from energy losses through heat to nearly the extent that electric motors do. As a result, their efficiency is FAR higher than any electric motor could hope for... plus it's pretty much directly attached to the engine for almost zero loss of torque from the turning engine. Turbos work because it's "free energy", i.e. energy that you're throwing out the back of the car already.

I have never actually tried one, but every time I've seen these things advertised I just whip out my calculator and pocket protector then laugh
Yeah, they don't tell you much in the way of technical details. Any blower would need to provide positive pressure at air flows above 300CFM to gain any HP for the SVX engine. That's a tall order for an electric motor. But people have done this in the past for Nitrous type boost, as I have discovered when looking up data on electric blowers. They used a bank of batteries to run the high HP electric motor for a short period of time like what is needed for a quarter mile run. Supposedly BMW has an electric blower but I couldn't find details on it. But these little fans definitely won't be able to deliver any appreciable air flow at any reasonable pressures.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
Old 07-15-2011, 04:43 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetItSnow View Post
Bad Tony - no cookie.
Thanks for openning the door for the BOM.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/mens-heal...631173000.html

Old 07-17-2011, 08:03 AM

I switch to Mobil One and had to change the valve cover gaskets shortly after, my most expensive oil change! Once you have made the change stick with you oil of choice!!
Been there, done it!! Thanks to everyone making this web-site possible!!
Old 07-23-2011, 05:21 AM

Registered SVX

Cool so somewhere between 5hp - 80hp, and, 900W at 12V is somewhere around 75A, and only works at WOT, which is (unless you are racing) rare, just what I want to spend my money on.
1992 Teal SVX parts car
Old 07-24-2011, 02:22 AM

Registered SVX

gotta love the quick bolt on horsepower knock offs.
its like the guy with the civic who bought underglow cause he was told it added hp to his car. :P

on a side note,
last year at school a group did their capstone project on making an electric turbo. they rigged it on a lawnmower engine and they gained i think 15% efficiency i dont remember.

Its feasible not practical :P