Registered SVX
seat ideas

have any cheap seat ideas? both of my leather seats are ripped and cracked
Old 04-21-2010, 05:27 PM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX
Re: seat ideas

Could buy some "racing" seats from ebay. They come from china..

Like these: Click HERE

Look like this:

They're cheaper than OEM and some out of an STi and they weigh a lot less..
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 04-21-2010, 07:19 PM

Registered SVX

they will fit and everything. i got power seats too. will the bolt holes fit and everything.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:37 PM
Unregistered User

Registered SVX

These ones aren't power which is what makes them considerably lighter but they move manually.. They don't fit directly in so you have to mock up your own brackets to make them work. If you don't know how, I'm sure someone here could walk you through it.. Any novice welder could technically do it.. Sometimes you may not even have to weld at all, just make some slight modifications.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 04-22-2010, 07:14 AM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

you could get new hides from motorsport warehouse. Also saw another company highly recommended recently. Will look again if you are interested
ART Cryogenic/Slotted Rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, PWR Radiator, Tranny cooler, Stebro, Earthworm's Poly Differential/front & rear swaybar bushings, Koni Inserts and Mychailo SVX Sport Springs all 4 corners, Indigo Blue paint. Liquid Silver Wheels.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:24 AM
Happy SVX

Registered SVX

Someone just recently posted about putting in some JDM WRX Sti seats. Looked real nice and bolted in without too much trouble, as I recall.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 04-22-2010, 07:52 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

jjanak, those seats are good, worth the price compared to branded names, but they need a little work.

I have them installed in my car as you can see HERE. The good thing about them is that they are light and comfy.

The bad thing is that as you can see from the ebay Ad, the rails lock on only one rail and not on both. While accelerating and braking, you can feel your body spin counterwise to force of what you are doing

Currently:
I fabbed an adapter bracket for them to fit. The seats are screwed onto the adapter and the latter fit the OEM bolts of the floor.

Future plans:
I bought OEM rails from an L model SVX. Those rails are manual, both and they lock on both sides, so I will be refabbing adapters that mate the OEM rails to the seats.

I bought OEM gray leather skins, 1 complete (F+R) + 1 more R.
I am planning to refresh my interior leather since you can feel it dry currently. I am talking here about the rear seats' leather.

As for the fronts, the Chinese ones that I have right now, I am gonna use the OEM front seats + rear seat skins to re-upholster them. The tips of the seat, where there is change in color, i am thinking about the same material of the faux suede

What do you guys think?

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:29 AM
Yeah, I'm still around

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear View Post
jjanak, those seats are good, worth the price compared to branded names, but they need a little work.

I have them installed in my car as you can see HERE. The good thing about them is that they are light and comfy.

The bad thing is that as you can see from the ebay Ad, the rails lock on only one rail and not on both. While accelerating and braking, you can feel your body spin counterwise to force of what you are doing

Currently:
I fabbed an adapter bracket for them to fit. The seats are screwed onto the adapter and the latter fit the OEM bolts of the floor.

Future plans:
I bought OEM rails from an L model SVX. Those rails are manual, both and they lock on both sides, so I will be refabbing adapters that mate the OEM rails to the seats.

I bought OEM gray leather skins, 1 complete (F+R) + 1 more R.
I am planning to refresh my interior leather since you can feel it dry currently. I am talking here about the rear seats' leather.

As for the fronts, the Chinese ones that I have right now, I am gonna use the OEM front seats + rear seat skins to re-upholster them. The tips of the seat, where there is change in color, i am thinking about the same material of the faux suede

What do you guys think?
Danny I too tried using L brackets to mount my Recaro seats into my '95 SVX. I was able to make it work with a number of modifications but it placed the seat higher than I liked when I had my helmet on. I ended up with a set of custom made brackets that bolt to the Recaro sliders that allow the seat to drop lower than the stock SVX seat to maximize head room for me (I'm 6'3") when I've got me helmet on. Took multiple trips to a friends shop to get to wherer I am today and they still need some mods so that I'm comfortable with them but they work for now.

To all, seats are a safety item and as such brackets to mount them should be built well to absorb the loads in the event of an impact and keep the seat in position. Please keep this in mind when buying and installing aftermarket seats.

Todd
Old 04-22-2010, 10:07 AM
Unregistered User

Registered SVX

The leather setup that dayle sells looks amazing, I admit. There is a problem there. They're so damned expensive! If your looking to go down that road and just want to make your stock seats less ugly, I say go to a local upholstry guy and have him give you a quote.

Now if you want a lighter car and possibly more comfortable, and better looking (in my opinion) seats and don't mind some work, I say go with either the Chinese ones or the STi seats.. The only problem is that the STi seats are expensive as crap on eBay so if your going to go shopping for then, check for used ones on the STi forums. Some of them are stingy with their seats and try to milk as much cash as possible but I'd start with a low offer, wait till they're in need of cash and offer again.

Just as well, you may be able to find some at a local junkyard even..
Old 04-22-2010, 11:19 AM
Banned

Registered SVX

for saftey reasons stick with oem or name brand aftermarket
the ebay seats are not crash tested and will most likely fall apart in any kind of accident
Old 04-22-2010, 11:23 AM
Unregistered User

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabin View Post
for saftey reasons stick with oem or name brand aftermarket
the ebay seats are not crash tested and will most likely fall apart in any kind of accident
Just don't get in an accident!
Old 04-22-2010, 01:13 PM

Registered SVX

If you go with STi seats, my vote is to go online and get some older gc8 ones. The newer Impreza seats sit so high that you'll have to make custom brackets. The differece between 99's to 05's is crazy, like, solidly 5 inches taller. As it is, the older ones still sit a tiny bit higher than the stock SVX seats. With the seats I did, I still had to do some cutting and welding, but its not too bad if you're patient. I agree though, older STi seats are the way to go if you can find them cheap.

As for the ebay seats, some are good and some are bad. If you've got a pair of sliders that will work, the rest shouldn't be too bad.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:20 PM
Unregistered User

Registered SVX

See I was going to go with the older ones as well but they're... cosmetically challenged compared to the newer STi seats..
Old 04-22-2010, 01:48 PM
Phil & Belha

I find the 2008 STi seats more comfortable than the 2006 model. But the stock SVX leather seats are more comfortable than any STi.

I spent the whole day today sitting in a Nissan GTR. Those seats are not comfortable at all.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II
Old 04-22-2010, 02:20 PM

Registered SVX

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...577#post640577

I wouldn't exactly call these cosmetically challenged or uncomfortable

Yes I'm biased, I love these seats. I'm not saying it would be that hard to make a cheaper set of ebay seats work fine. I just think that the gc seats are the easiest to fit without getting really custom.