Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-04-2009, 07:05 AM
Soon to own a fuctional SVX

Send a message via AIM to STeeL25T
Clutch/Flywheel combo

I should have my engine completely torn down by this weekend, so I'm shifting my attention to my neglected busted transmission for the time being. I have an 05 WRX transmission I'm going to repair, right now I'm wondering what kind of clutch and flywheel you would recommend for it. A bunch of people are all about light weight flywheels but I also hear that you kind of want some weight to it for a big car like ours with torque like we have, so not sure which way to go here. Clutches I don't know much about, I ran a stock 300ZX N/A clutch on my turbo 300 hp RB25 and it worked perfectly, but going for 500 hp and AWD I don't think it will be the same haha. I can probably get that info from NASIOC but I guess I'm looking for first hand experience in our cars.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:07 AM

Re: Clutch/Flywheel combo

A good flywheel/clutch setup that I have heard of... as I have been looking around for my Legacy GT...

ACT aftermarket clutch disc and pressure plate for 2006-current WRX 5MT.
2006-current Subaru WRX 2.5T flywheel and bolts (stronger, less likely to ream out than 2005-2009 Legacy bolts)
new throw-out bearing, engagement fork, and other misc bits for assembly. (compatible shift fork with whichever clutch slave cylinder you have, push or pull type.)
I've also thought about a stainless braided hydraulic line for the clutch master to slave cylinder, for better feedback, and less hose-flex.

ACT has a streetlite flywheel for that application that is lighter than OE, but if you wanted a more normal-mass flywheel for the EG33, the WRX OE flywheel is probably closer to that.

But I don't have first hand experience. That will probably be the setup I convert my 2005 Legacy to, and get rid of the stock Sachs crap, and the OE dual-mass flywheel that the Legacy came with.

I am not sure what 5MT converted SVXs are running, but am interested to see what gets posted here by folks who do know...

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.

Last edited by BoxerFanatic; 08-04-2009 at 08:11 AM.