Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-03-2009, 07:28 PM
Teh Geek

Send a message via ICQ to nsm484 Send a message via AIM to nsm484 Send a message via Yahoo to nsm484
Registered SVX
Re: Overheating, First thing to do... try the HG Test.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L View Post
Bare bones minimum.... lots of labor and a head gasket set. Of course you would definitely want to do valve cover gaskets too since it would be cake while the engine was out.
Since Gaskets are the cheaper part of this, I mite as well do exactly that.

The Labor will be done by me, as there is no way I can afford the labor involved in this.

Also, while I am thinking about it, what to Motor Mounts run? if I am going to have the engine out, and I can afford them, mite a well get them.

2002 Mitsubishi Lancer OZ Rally [Nori]

1996 LSi Polo Green [Calista] - 18" Konig Incident's - Lived for awhile Now Selling
1992 LSL Dark Teal [Yori] (Rear Ended, Donor to Calista, and now gone)
1992 LSL Ebony Mica (Sold to svxcuseme)
Old 07-03-2009, 08:17 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

$500 in parts.....you could get a lower mileage used engine for that and make most of your money back selling parts off your engine. You'd be back on the road in 1 day.

(speaking from experience)
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:12 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsm484 View Post
Since Gaskets are the cheaper part of this, I mite as well do exactly that.

The Labor will be done by me, as there is no way I can afford the labor involved in this.

Also, while I am thinking about it, what to Motor Mounts run? if I am going to have the engine out, and I can afford them, mite a well get them.
Dont forget about renting or buying the engine hoist..... unless you're ripped like Arnie and can just pluck it right out with your fist ..... The motor mounts can/should wait till later, it would probably be best just to reseal as much as you can afford while the engine is out and easy to work on.

Theres so much nickel and dime maintenance you can do easily with the engine out (vac hoses, seals, bearings, cleaning, etc.) it might be wise to wait until you have it out before spending a lot, just to make sure you get what you really need. This goes back to the suggestion of renting another car, so you have the time to do it right and can wait if you have to order misc parts.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:30 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest

Quote:
The block tester kit works on ALL cars that overheat as a result of HG leak.....
I passed two of those tests with no signs of HC in the coolant when I had bad HG's. I had no exhaust/coolant crossover, nor did I have any oil/coolant crossover. It turns out that there was an external leak, with coolant escaping from the block between the exhaust manifold and oil pan.

Last edited by Hocrest; 07-03-2009 at 10:35 PM.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:37 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocrest View Post
I passed two of those tests with no signs of HC in the coolant when I had bad HG's. I had no exhaust/coolant crossover, nor did I have any oil/coolant crossover. It turns out that there was an external leak, with coolant escaping from the block between the exhaust manifold and oil pan.
True enough..... I was just assuming that if he had a coolant under his car he would have mentioned it (as an obvious culprit for overheating). If not, then HG causing coolant loss internally would definitely mix combustion gasses into the cooling system, as it would be leaking into the cylinders or oil where exhaust gasses could be forced in. Since there was no mention of coolant leaks under his car..... if he does have a HG issue, this is a good candidate for the block tester kit, if just to be sure before yanking the engine on his daily driver.

RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:48 PM
Teh Geek

Send a message via ICQ to nsm484 Send a message via AIM to nsm484 Send a message via Yahoo to nsm484
Registered SVX

I wasn't able to get a block tester kit, as I was planning on doing that today, but Instead the Front Right Brake line on Yori decided to fail, so I was working on that, and now I am waiting for the Brake line to show up tomorrow.

I have ordered the Head Gasket and Valve Cover Casket, but I need to know Torque Values! Can someone Post me the Torque values I will need? Maybe even some Helpful tips on pulling the engine? Remember, this is my first time, but I plan on learning alot from this.

I also found a decent deal on an Engine Lift Rental, so thats covered as well.

I plan on starting this Thursday, so as much information would be helpful, and again... thank you SWN Community!

1996 LSi Polo Green [Calista] - 18" Konig Incident's - Lived for awhile Now Selling
Old 07-06-2009, 05:50 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

buy a Chilton/Haynes manual. They are in there and its 20 bucks

Tom
Old 07-06-2009, 06:03 PM
Teh Geek

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
buy a Chilton/Haynes manual. They are in there and its 20 bucks

Tom
I guess the next question would be.... are they usually Available locally, or will it have to be ordered? My time is running out

Old 07-06-2009, 06:20 PM
Maniac modifier

usually local. It is the same book for the legacy and outback. It has a red outback wagon on the front of it

Tom
Old 07-06-2009, 06:33 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsm484 View Post
, but I need to know Torque Values! Can someone Post me the Torque values I will need? Maybe even some Helpful tips on pulling the engine? Remember, this is my first time, but I plan on learning alot from this.

I plan on starting this Thursday, so as much information would be helpful, and again... thank you SWN Community!
Here are the head bolt torque and sequence.

Make sure that you follow the sequence exactly.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:38 PM
Maniac modifier

I had posted that a while back as well but it was removed from the site for whatever reason

Tom
Old 07-06-2009, 07:16 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

If you are going to yank the heads after all.... couple words of advice. Take LOTS of pictures of hose routing, bolt locations etc..... every step of the way...... so when you go to reassemble you have some reference to where stuff goes.... you will have a lot of it laying loose and it gets confusing sometimes.

Secondly, double.... no triple check every step upon reassembly... DO NOT RUSH THROUGH IT as you can easily miss tightening a bolt or reconnecting a hose wrong, or even forgetting a gasket or fluid refill. Take your time so you can feel confident and secure in your repair.

Third, I would strongly recommend you have the heads machined and pressure tested while they are off..... if they warped even a little bit while they were overheated, and you dont machine them flat again on the sealing surface, expect to need new head gaskets again shortly.

Finally, hopefully you have a ride to and from an auto parts store while you do this, because you will most likely find misc. stuff you need in the middle of doing this.

Good luck and im sure you will have lots of help here!!!

Old 07-10-2009, 09:37 PM
Teh Geek

Registered SVX

Quote:
Third, I would strongly recommend you have the heads machined and pressure tested while they are off..... if they warped even a little bit while they were overheated, and you dont machine them flat again on the sealing surface, expect to need new head gaskets again shortly.
Any idea how much this process would cost?

Also, just to update... I did buy a Block Tester. I Syphoned my fluid out of the rad. just enough to make sure it didn't get sucked into the tester.
I did the test 3 times, going nice and easy on the ball as to not suck in air too fast, And each time... It changed to yellow fairly quickly.

After having a long talk with Fuji (AvPPoW) I have decided to hold off on doing this, until I can get the needed time off to do it slowly and correctly.
Since this will be my first time doing a job like this, I am planning on taking 5 days off. I have 8 hours of Vacation, so I plan on doing it between work weeks as to not loose any hours.

Parts I have so far: Head Gasket, Valve Cover Gasket, and Spark Plug Tube Gaskets. Anything else I should get with this, that would fit my very limited budget?

Old 07-10-2009, 09:58 PM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX

Did you get the washer gaskets for the valve covers? I would change the sparkplugs while the motor is out unless they were recently changed.
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 07-10-2009, 10:11 PM
Teh Geek

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlightningsvx View Post
Did you get the washer gaskets for the valve covers? I would change the sparkplugs while the motor is out unless they were recently changed.
I did not ;(

The Head/Valve Cover/Spark Plug Tube Gaskets are sitting at Subaru of Jacksonville waiting for me to pick them up... but I could always have them get more parts for me, They have always been very quick to get parts.