How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-09-2009, 01:19 PM

Registered SVX
How to clean oil from new brake pads?

So the pads that came with my calipers look like they have oil on them. I think it's from the oil they sprayed on the calipers to prevent them from rusting. Can I spray with them brake parts cleaner?
Kool Blue air filter, 4500k HID's, airbox mod, Hella horns, WRX 6 disc stereo, Infinity Reference and Clarion Pro Audio speakers, Infinity basslink sub, ECUtune Stage 1v5, ECUtune TCU, Power mode mod, Mad muffler mod v1.3
Old 06-09-2009, 02:50 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Re: How to clean oil from new brake pads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxash View Post
So the pads that came with my calipers look like they have oil on them. I think it's from the oil they sprayed on the calipers to prevent them from rusting. Can I spray with them brake parts cleaner?
I personally think this is a dodgy situation. I would be strongly tempted to throw them away and replace with new pads, hang the cost. Stopping is kinda important in my book.

If you want to have a go at cleaning them use the solvent for cleaning engines, it washes off with water. The danger will be that the oil you mention may have soaked into the outer layer of the pad, and merely washing the surface may not make it safe. If you do go this route, after you have cleaned and dried off the pads, take the surface off them using an angle grinder or a bench grinder. Then clean them again with the engine cleaner.

Far far safer to replace them.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 06-09-2009, 04:07 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Brake parts cleaner should be fine if it hasnt soaked really far in...... oil was a bigger problem with the old organic pads but not so much nowadays if you have the ceramic or semi metallic. The oil usually burns off in a couple good stops anyways so fear not, it wouldnt keep you from stopping unless it were a thick cake of grease. However im far more reckless than Joe so maybe you should listen to him

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:12 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Brakleen. Comes in red or green cans depending on how much you like Chlorine. It is used to remove oil, grease, and any prep residue off of rotors, drums, shoes, and pads. I have also used it many times in engine work as well. I try to keep a case at the shop at all times but I go through it quickly. Bargain brands are essentially the same stuff. Soak them and let it dry thoroughly

Tom
Old 06-09-2009, 09:33 PM

Registered SVX

I have some semi-metallic pads I had bought earlier but the calipers came with ceramic pads that I thought I might try. The ceramics are the ones that have the spots of oil on them from shipping. Maybe I should just the semi-metallics.
Kool Blue air filter, 4500k HID's, airbox mod, Hella horns, WRX 6 disc stereo, Infinity Reference and Clarion Pro Audio speakers, Infinity basslink sub, ECUtune Stage 1v5, ECUtune TCU, Power mode mod, Mad muffler mod v1.3
Old 06-09-2009, 11:06 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxash View Post
I have some semi-metallic pads I had bought earlier but the calipers came with ceramic pads that I thought I might try. The ceramics are the ones that have the spots of oil on them from shipping. Maybe I should just the semi-metallics.
Use the ceramics.... those are OEM and wont absorb any oil.... just spray em off. Ceramics stop better under high temperatures..... which is the norm for the rotors on our 3600lb cars.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.