Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 03-31-2009, 12:21 PM

Send a message via AIM to zavikan
5 more 'original' buttons now then originally.

I think I've gone button crazy. I have aquired from various places, original SVX equipment...and Im curious if im missing something.

Heated Switch Buttons
Headlight Squirter Button
Headlight Leveler Switch
Auto Folding Mirrors Button
'Econ' Euro switch (soon to be power)

Is there something I can add?
'92 Liquid Silver SVX - Drilled&Slotted Rotors/Canadian OEM Seat Warmers/JDM Folding Mirrors/JDM Clear Corners/Euro Glass Headlights/Euro Headlight Level Adjustment/Euro Shifter Assembly/ECUTune Chip V.1/GARAGE QUEEN!
Old 03-31-2009, 12:36 PM

Re: 5 more 'original' buttons now then originally.

ok Yes, part of this is shameless boasting......

But its still a real question.
'92 Liquid Silver SVX - Drilled&Slotted Rotors/Canadian OEM Seat Warmers/JDM Folding Mirrors/JDM Clear Corners/Euro Glass Headlights/Euro Headlight Level Adjustment/Euro Shifter Assembly/ECUTune Chip V.1/GARAGE QUEEN!
Old 03-31-2009, 12:40 PM
Formerly known as broyles

are the headlight levelers functional, as well as the squiters?? you have a right to brag, but where do they all fit?? I guess I havent counted the open non used buttons but did not think there were that many
Old 03-31-2009, 12:51 PM

The headlight levelers, squirters, and shifter assembly are freshly arrived, and I havent gotten to my car (in storage). there is no reason they would not be. I have discussed the wiring with dayle, it seems very straight forward.

Headlight adjustment goes in the shifter console (mine is 92, w/ a 94 interior, so it has the hole in the center console, made for central locking...that the 92 doesnt have).

Mirror folding is simply an added switch built into the current mirror switch assembly.

Econ switch replaces the manual switch on the shifter, and the manual switch goes to the lower 'blank' on the shifter box (the upper switch is your shift lock, the lower is not punched out)

Heated Seats replaces the coin slot

Squirter is the infamous 'blank' next to the defogger and the hazards.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:09 PM
Soobologist

Send a message via AIM to subeman90
Registered SVX

buttons are nice and all those options are nice (if your into that sort of thing)* but if they are just there for show and they don't work...well that to me is pointless. Where do the seat heater switches go in a car that is OBD2? that coin thingy is where the port is for OBD2.

* I have an L so I am missing a lot of options as it is
Old 03-31-2009, 05:16 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Pretty sure he is planning on eventually having all of them work. The only thing you'll need now is the 4WS
Old 03-31-2009, 06:13 PM
Phil & Belha

Quote:
Originally Posted by zavikan View Post
Is there something I can add?
JDM models from 94 onwards have a button on the dash, left of the steering wheel, to unlock the doors.

Early JDM models without airbags have radio controls on the steering wheel.

Some JDM cars are fitted with the optional air purifier so you can drive through the Tokyo smog without choking. The switch for it fits next to the gearshift in place of the headlamp leveller for European models. I think these may have been dealer fitted (not factory) because there is no wiring loom for it. They are hacked into the wiring loom aftermarket style.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II
Old 03-31-2009, 07:35 PM

whoaaaaaa there is a central locking switch on the JDM models left of the steering wheel? pics pics pics? what location? I've never heard of this.

(another thing I wouldnt mind getting my hands on is the 'morse code' type door handle to unlock... I havent really researched what I would need though)
Old 03-31-2009, 07:37 PM

you know, speaking of 4WS...

I suppose this is an ignorant question, and I know there is the 'anything is possible with enough $$$' line...

But Theoretically, could we convert our cars to use the 4ws? Or is that like asking to convert LHD to RHD.

I know there are like...2 4WS models known in existence.... but maybe the parts are still available new at the dealer in japan?
Old 03-31-2009, 07:44 PM

while we're in the neighbourhood, I (and im sure others) wouldnt mind more info on the 'morse code' door handle
which models had them, and how exactly they worked
i recall seeing something vauge about either pressing the button for X seconds, or holding the handle open for X seconds
then after a beep, the correct combination of pulls on the handle would unlock the door

but thats just from my spotty memory
im sure someone here has a clearer picture they could share with us?
Old 03-31-2009, 08:24 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:

I suppose this is an ignorant question, and I know there is the 'anything is possible with enough $$$' line...

But Theoretically, could we convert our cars to use the 4ws? Or is that like asking to convert LHD to RHD.

I know there are like...2 4WS models known in existence.... but maybe the parts are still available new at the dealer in japan?
This thread had a little info. It was all I could find quickly about the 4WS but you could probably try searching for many different terms to find a couple more threads.
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...wheel+steering
It seems to me it may be possible as the rear steering is driven electronically and not mechanically but you would probably need all the electrical as well as full suspension from a 4ws car or maybe get lucky and find everything you may need from a dealer over there but no matter what, its gonna be quite a bit of money but by the end of all this you would have every option from every market.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
Pretty sure he is planning on eventually having all of them work. The only thing you'll need now is the 4WS
That... and getting the car out of storage...

Keith
Old 03-31-2009, 09:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:

http://page12.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/p56599924
2001 Audi S8
Old 03-31-2009, 10:35 PM
Radio wiring harness guru
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

SVXs in Europe have a switch to raise or lower the antenna. It too goes in front of the shift lever, in place of the shift lock button / access cover, and only works when the ignition is on.

Picture, courtesy of svxistentialist (click for larger version):
o
[ADDED: Another picture is here]

The blanks next to the fog light and rear defroster switches can be made functional simply by trimming off some plastic from the button caps. They have longer legs that prevent them from being depressed, but the modules underneath already have the electrical switches. [ADDED: They don't have the electrical contacts. See discussion below]

I've always wanted to rig one up for my garage door opener transmitter. Using a "real" button cap would be better (the "squirter" cap would be a good candidate), because then it would already have something that would light up from a dash illumination backlight bulb. With a spare fog or defroster cap, you would also have the lower window that could be used for a second light connected to the GDO's "transmitting" LED.

Last edited by SVXdc; 04-03-2011 at 11:16 PM.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green1995SVX View Post
http://page12.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/p56599924

holy awesome batman

still needs the steering wheel sensor and the ecu and wiring but hey this is one big step in the right direction for a USDM 4WS