SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2009, 08:56 AM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX
Re: Has anyone tried pulstar sparkplugs?

<Atomizer magnet>
(Claim? "The resultant conditioned fuel/air mixture magnetized in opposite polarities burns more completely, producing higher engine output, better fuel economy, more power and most importantly reduces the amount of hydrocarbons, carbon monoxide and oxides of nitrogen in the exhaust.")

<"FUEL ECONOMY HYDROGEN GENERATOR COOLING RADIATOR">
(Used "TO DECIPATE HEAT ON FUEL CELLS( HHO GENERATORS) AUTOMOVITE TRANSMISSIONS.")

Check those out for us, too, yeh?
Old 02-09-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
How many of those miracle things have you tried in your lifetime? great mileage... more power... engine won't ever wear out...
None for me.
Keith
Read my lips... LET-IT-SNOW!

I have never done any of those things, but many people have. How about you??

Since I don't do them, guess you need to do them yourself or find someone that does...

Keith

Last edited by kwren; 02-09-2009 at 10:40 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:33 PM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

Pulstar leads down that path, imho. Keep us posted!
Old 02-09-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L View Post
One more thing to consider.... if these plugs were sooooo good at making more power and cutting emissions.... WHY wouldnt car makers have already adopted this type of technology to boost their EPA ratings and horsepower in the already EXTREMELY competitive car market??
I remember leafing through Hot Rod magazines back in the 60s, long before I could even drive, and thinking the same thing about the carbs, cams, intakes, headers and whatnot advertised within: If these things boost performance AND economy so well, why don't cars come with 'em from the factory?

dcb
Old 02-09-2009, 02:34 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb View Post
I remember leafing through Hot Rod magazines back in the 60s, long before I could even drive, and thinking the same thing about the carbs, cams, intakes, headers and whatnot advertised within: If these things boost performance AND economy so well, why don't cars come with 'em from the factory?

dcb
Of course there are things that boost performance.... aftermarket add-ons are a given. The problem with pulstar plugs though is that they promise more energy from the same stock coil packs..... impossible, the energy from the coil pack is already fully used to make the largest spark possible. In physics, you cannot make energy out of nothing. To have a hotter spark, you need an aftermarket high voltage ignition system, period.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:06 PM
Network Design Administrator

The only thing I can think of is if some sort of capacitor was in there, somewhere. But then I am guessing the plug would be a bit bigger, or have ancillary equipment that would require installation.

Also, if that were the case, wouldn't the first few cycles either be dead or weakened in order to charge the capacitor?

It just doesn't make sense. Makes me want to look up their patent number and evaluate their technical drawings.
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:09 PM
Network Design Administrator

So I went back and looked up their site... I am damn close in my guesses...

Quote:
This new technology is a drop-in replacement for all spark plugs, including iridium, high performance spark plugs. The Pulstar™ pulse plug is designed to more efficiently ignite fuel in the engine, thus increasing fuel economy, horsepower and torque. Pulstar™ pulse plugs look and fit like spark plugs, but incorporate an internal capacitor to deliver a spark 10 times more powerful than a spark plug with less cycle-to-cycle variation.
http://www.pulstar.com/
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:59 PM
There is no charge for Awesome

Send a message via AIM to Chuckles
Registered SVX
Lightbulb Re: Has anyone tried pulstar sparkplugs?

The last time I looked into them, about this time last year. The research actually showed it was a scam. I also bought one, and noticed no difference between that and a standard plug when attached to a small two cycle engine. (I never tested on the SVX, it takes to long to swap plugs.) What I can tell you is, because the capacitors are right on top of the plugs in our cars, scientifically (yes I have a degree) there can be no change between one or the other unless you up the voltage going to the capacitors. and at what like $80 a piece, that is pretty dicey. otherwise you are really creating more resistance by creating inline capacitors. It could even throw off the timing a bit.
Admittedly my science expertise is human medicine, but you do brush a bit past the physical sciences.

92' Subaru SVX LS-L Claret http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3214312 for the pics and stuff

Last edited by Chuckles; 02-09-2009 at 05:16 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:12 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSVX View Post
The only thing I can think of is if some sort of capacitor was in there, somewhere. But then I am guessing the plug would be a bit bigger, or have ancillary equipment that would require installation.

Also, if that were the case, wouldn't the first few cycles either be dead or weakened in order to charge the capacitor?

It just doesn't make sense. Makes me want to look up their patent number and evaluate their technical drawings.
The capacitor claim is exactly my point.... what can a capacitor do to make a larger spark? It obviously cant be charged without taking some energy from the coil, the very thing feeding the plugs in the first place. So would it cause a dead cylinder, a weak spark, etc. to charge the first few cycles?? Then what... a fatter spark for a couple more cycles until the capacitor is depleted, then it starts over again?? Doesnt make sense at all.... A regular spark plug uses all available energy from the coil to make a spark.... theres NO way to improve this by adding crap to a spark plug and charging $25 a piece for it The coil on plug setup with regular plugs is the most efficient, and adding anything to a plug can only lessen the efficiency, again, unless you have an aftermarket ignition system that provides super high voltage and amperage to make a hotter spark. You CANT make the plug spark any better than the coil puts out.... period. These pulstars are a joke.

RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:28 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckles View Post
The last time I looked into them, about this time last year. The research actually showed it was a scam. I also bought one, and noticed no difference between that and a standard plug when attached to a small two cycle engine. (I never tested on the SVX, it takes to long to swap plugs.) What I can tell you is, because the capacitors are right on top of the plugs in our cars, scientifically (yes I have a degree) there can be no change between one or the other unless you up the voltage going to the capacitors. and at what like $80 a piece, that is pretty dicey. otherwise you are really creating more resistance by creating inline capacitors. It could even throw off the timing a bit.
I think you will find that the "capacitor" is a in line spark gap.
The theory for it is, when a coil fires, its maximum voltage is determined by the in line resistance (plug gap). The coil will build a voltage to overcome the resistance of the plug. If the plug has deposits on the center electrode that have a lower resistance that the gap, some of the coils energy will leak away down the electrode as the coil is building its voltage, before it is high enough to jump the gap. This robs some of the energy, that will end up jumping the gap.

The old way of curring this was to create a gap in the plug lead, by inserting a button with the leads connected to opposite holes. This forced the coil to develop a higher voltage to jump across the button, so that it did not have time to leak down the side of the insulator.
This is going back 70 years.

After this we started to get devices that fitted on top of the plug that did the same. Then we got plugs with the built in gap that did the same thing. I would think this is a revival of this old trick, which was very useful on engines that burnt a lot of oil, and had coils of low output.

The SVX does not fall into that category, and does not need this help.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:00 PM

Quote:
If these things boost performance AND economy so well, why don't cars come with 'em from the factory?
The short answer? Because they won't give you anything they aren't required to. Anyone who has serviced a newer vehicle knows they are not designed for the customer. I can tell you first hand that the engineers of most vehicle manufacturers will tell you very simply that cars are designed to be produced, not maintained. Why wouldn't they put them in if they were better? For the same reason not all cars are designed to burn the better/higher octane..... if you figure that one of these plugs would cost you even as little as $3/plug... X 150,000 vehicles per model per year?.... hmm... adds up pretty quick.

As far as the whole capacitor idea.... bunk... a capacitor is only useful because it can store energy and has the ability to charge/dump energy at the same very high rate. There are two big problems with this working here. 1) it only does one or the other, in or out, the fastest way to transmit power is without stopping... it would be better to send it straight through 2) Capacitors work based on fluxuation and demand.... your ignition doesn't fluxuate, it pulses.... just like binary code it has two options.... your cylinders don't 'demand' energy... meaning they wouldn't draw the energy from the capacitor theoretically located in the spark plug the energy being pushed in would build for a few cycles and blow up. If you're wiring a stereo, and you put a capacitor between the amp and the subs.... nothing works.... the amp is what demands the power because it's being told to generate a frequency and it needs power to do it.... the subs don't draw anything....
Old 02-09-2009, 10:45 PM

Quote:

dcb
Actually they do boost performance and come from the factory with many improvements now.

$25.00 for just one spark plug would be a bit much for auto manufactures. They used to put tires on new cars that cost them $2 but a fer law suits brought them out of that mode.

Keith
Old 02-09-2009, 11:22 PM

Previously posted:[quote=iizbeastie;586598]The added spark simply ignites more of the fuel initially

I could see a possible advantage in that.

Keith

No degree here but it looks like I guessed why they work better.

Starting the fuel ignition with a larger beginning would make the complete fuel air mixture burn closer to the same time.

As far as a capacitor is concerned, the pulse associated with the capacitor discharging through the coil through the spark plugs gap to ground was the reason fuel was ignited for decades before the electronic ignition. Remember the old "points and condenser" The pulse occurred when the points opened.Taking time to build up voltage on the capacitor was never a consideration. a charge on a capacitor is instantaneous and discharges a sharp sign wave as you can tell on an oscilloscope. It works with either ac voltage or "pulsating" dc voltage for a circuit for current flow.

There are two different approaches in life. Learning the words... or understanding the message.
Hopefully we each have a bit of each!

Keith
Old 02-09-2009, 11:51 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Ok, I give up.... buy em!!! Theyre a great deal !!

Old 02-10-2009, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L View Post
Of course there are things that boost performance.... aftermarket add-ons are a given.
Of course, but most legitimate performance gains come with some trade-off. Some claims throw-in a bit of wishful thinking. Some are outright scams. In all instances it pays to view automotive add-on advertising, which has been peddling worthless products since the advent of the Model T, with a skeptical eye and functioning BS detector.

Fact is, there's just not very much one can bolt-on to (or pour into the fuel tank of) a well-engineered car to improve it in every respect.

dcb